Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 77.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Quote from kurtvonstein: “Yes they are expensive but the first cheap buy when you start a game to stop the early Strike Fighter rush... ” I reckon ASFs are better for doing that in the early game. I'm usually spending my Supplies on other stuff, so I don't want to be using it all up on making Mobile AAs. Plus ASFs do more damage to SFs and take less damage off them as well. I think that logic is probably where the OP is coming from with this topic.

• Quote from Hydralysk: “So why purchase ground based AA assets? ” Generally speaking, you want to control the battlefield airspace so that you can use helicopters and strike fighters to destroy enemy ground units, thereby allowing your own ground units to advance and gain territory with minimal losses. You also want to stop your enemy doing the same thing to you. Air Superiority Fighters will help you win control of the airspace, and so will ground based Anti-Air units. But ground based AA will c…

• Quote from michael7314: “so 2 cruisers destroyed by unidentified surface contact. i cant see their hp or what they are what do i need to do to destroy it ? ” You need to find out what it is and where it is first. Then you can make a judgement on the best units you have available to use against it. You can use aircraft to locate and scout the fleet's composition, but they will probably take damage from the fleet's Anti-air in the process, unless you use Stealths. You could use submarines, but the…

• New Deploy Armament Units

WalterChang - - Suggestions

Quote from Colonel Waffles: “My concern is that a country lays landmines, is conquered, and 30 days later some other unfortunate country triggers their landmines ” I think that's fine. That's what happens if landmines (or sea mines, for that matter) aren't removed after a conflict ends. In real-life terms, they are a big danger for civilians. For the purposes of CoN, they probably wouldn't amount to much more than an annoyance - someone else's unexploded mines from earlier in the game aren't goi…

Quote from Colonel Waffles: “The research time period of CoN scales (to my knowledge) from 1947 (B-47) to 2030~ (railguns). This is a very long time. ” I think you get into all sorts of trouble if you start trying to judge implied timeframes by the research tree. The B-47 first flew in 1947, and that's Day 4 of the game? The Mirage Delta, available on Day 1, first flew in 1978; the Super Heron UAV, also Day 1, first flew in 1994; and the Vulcan bomber, available on Day 25, was retired from servi…

I don't see why landmines should degrade over time. They certainly don't in real life (at least not in the timescale of a single CoN game), and there doesn't seem to me to be a good gameplay reason for it either. I assume that the player who lays them will have them marked on the map, and that this will be visible to their allies (shared intel)? With that in mind, I think their positions should be discoverable by espionage as well. Also, given that landmines are illegal nowadays, deploying them …

• Could it have been AA, SAMs or frigates that you can't see? Anti-air units can attack planes on patrol from really far away. All it takes is for the radius of the aircraft to slightly overlap the radius of the AA, and the AA will engage (the planes won't always!). So for example, if there's a frigate that has an attack range against fixed wing of 100 and your planes have a attack radius of 50 while on patrol, the anti-air effect of the frigate will kick in at up to 150 distance - they seem to be…

• Quote from ramadeus: “I tempted to leave as well and fight number two out of pure boredom, the game mostly inactive players. ” I tend to archive games that get to this point. But if I wanted to finish it, I'd probably attack the number 2, yeah. The fun in this game comes from fighting wars and having interesting strategic confrontations between evenly-matched active opponents. Points accumulation is not fun. Not for me, anyway. I play to win wars, but I don't particularly play to win matches. I …

• Better example: a level 3 recruiting office needs more electronics than a level 3 AWACS. What the hell is going on in those places? It's a recruitment office - a building with some people in it and maybe some off-the-shelf desktop computers for the admin.

• Quote from Colonel Waffles: “It most certainly turned me off ” Well, I suppose not everybody can handle the increased depth of strategy, eh?

• Artillery attacks

WalterChang - - Questions & Answers

Quote from Kalrakh: “As well as I remember, that feature already existed in Supremacy 1914, the predecessor of both these games: CoW and CON ” I'm really not sure about that, either. I haven't played S1914 for a VERY long time, but I can definitely remember infantry being sent into the sea to absorb hits from enemy battleships so that your own wouldn't take damage. I also remember it was a thing to split your stacks into single units just before the enemy tick was due, so that they'd only hit on…

• Commanding battles

Would be nice. I think it's a bit beyond the scope of this game, though.

• Guess this unit

WalterChang - - General Discussion

I just realised! It's a warhead!

• Guess this unit

Quote from Colonel Waffles: “If that was also your guess, they are not transport ships ” They're not? Oh... no idea then! Quote from Teburu: “fighting off pirates and fighting of a group of destroyers is a small difference wouldnt you think lmao ” Yeah, of course. I'm not suggesting they be given comparable stats to any surface combat vessels - or even any range, necessarily. Just a bit of point damage to use in close combat with other ships, and maybe a tiny bit of anti-helicopter defence. Then…

• Guess this unit

Transport ships really ought to have a little bit of combat value, I reckon. At least defence. They're still military ships, and they have light armaments and marines on board. I worked with some Spanish navy officers a few years ago, and a couple of them had been on board a navy logistics vessel supporting the anti-piracy mission off Somalia. They were attacked by some unfortunate 'pirates', who'd mistaken them for a cargo ship, and they were certainly able to defend themselves.

• Artillery attacks

Quote from Teburu: “huh i could've sworn that even call of war had tickresets ” I don't think so. Maybe it did a pre-v1.5? I can't remember, to be honest!

• Artillery attacks

Quote from Teburu: “thats a thing for pretty much every unit afaik tho? (except aircraft ofc cuz they have to rtb) ” Probably. Seems OP to me, but maybe that's just because I'm not used to it yet. In Call of War's system, units can only use their attack damage once per hour, no matter what. (they can use defence as many times as they need.) Seeing how the AI seems to like spreading units out across its territory, it certainly makes cutting through inactive players a lot quicker that I expected, …

• Artillery attacks

Quote from Kalrakh: “If you finish of a stack with your attack, you get a 60 s cooldown instead of 60 min Yes, this is supposed to be like that. ” Wow! Thanks for the response. Does that not seem a little bit overpowered?

• Artillery attacks

I'm seeing some odd behaviour from my artillery. If my stack is strong enough to eliminate an enemy unit or stack in its first hit, I seem to be able to use that same artillery stack again well within the one-hour cooldown to shoot another unit - and if I destroy the second one in one hit, I can shoot a third unit immediately after, etc. Is it supposed to work like that? I've just wiped out 2 infantry and a CRV that were all in separate provinces, using just 5 artillery in one stack, in the spac…

• Quote from Kalrakh: “It would be much less convenient and likely turn more people off than on. ” Well, it doesn't seem to turn people off Call of War. And it's only less convenient if you insist on having all your units upgraded to the maximum level at the very earliest opportunity - but if you do that, you're not being efficient, anyway.