Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 132.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CITY OF LIGHTS

KFGauss - - General Discussion

K & DoD, OK - I suppose that makes the current votes: One for a big change (Z), one for carefully adding a few tweaks (me), and 2 for no change (K & DoD). KFG

• CITY OF LIGHTS

Quote from Dealer of Death: “Excuse me, but F**K THAT! I want to play a WAR game concentrating on WAR, not Logistics. ” Is it more accurate to say that you want to spend your game time focused 99% on the tip of the "spear", and not on the rest of the spear. - Ground attack jets don't fly because the pilots keep them ready, or fetch weaponry for them, or or figure out their missions. - Submarines don't stay at sea because they forage for their own food. - The Persians didn't end their campaign to…

• Here's an adjacent suggestion to roll into the possibilities for this subject. In almost any/all backgrounds, blinking units would be easier to find than non-blinking. This applies when a dark unit is over a dark background, and when a flying unit (think long range air transports) is drawn on an arc (curved line) to their destination instead of on a (straight) line to their destination. So some sort of blink once or continuous-blinking on/off function would handy to have for all units or for ind…

• Day 1 guide

Quote from Buckeyechamp: “Quote from Hertenjager: “The point for noobs, there are many factors and no set recipe for success. . . . ” . . . Plan was a thing of beauty right up till Turkey invaded me 2 hrs later... then Greece came across the med and they tried to double team me...lol.. . . ” My similar experience (I'm sure everyone who has played more than 2 or 3 games has at least one story) was when I was moving my DR Congo troops through jungles and other fun terrain in order to rearrange the…

• Day 1 guide

Quote from WalterChang: “Quote from Drony77: “Here's a set of advice that can make you into a rookie ” Sorry, couldn't resist that. ” OK, OK - I am definitely smiling. When I finish chuckling, I'll remind myself that I think the community's goal for a Day 1 guide would be to avoid transforming rookies into drop-outs. Turning them into experts would be a chore for a person who is way more experienced than I am.

• Quote from WalterChang: “Quote from Kalrakh: “If the patrol radius of a unit cuts with the radar range of a different unit, they get seen as a radar dot. If the patrol radius cuts with the sight range of a unit they get even revealed. If the patrol radius cuts with the AA radius of a unit, the AA unit can fire. They changed it quite a while ago when the made the huge overhaul for radar and stealth. ” That's what I suspected, thanks. The part that I don't understand the logic behind is why it's s…

• Day 1 guide

@Kalrakh - I understand, and I (largely) agree. If I were to write up some simple, "monkey-see, monkey-do", "cookbook" instructions for brand new players who might not see this post or who might not understand everything you wrote, your recommendations are exactly the types of guidelines I would use to create the simple instructions. And ... Once a first draft existed, those guidelines are the sorts of things folks would be welcome to debate when they saw the simple instructions first draft. @Op…

• Day 1 guide

Quote from Drony77: “. . . I have neither time nor desire to do anything else here. . . . Bye ” Hmmmm - That went well. I just now briefly thought about trying to do/write some of what I recommended above, but then I remembered that I can't, because I'm not in a game at the moment, and because even if I was, there might be differences in the Eastern, Western, and European early-game unit/building/research costs - And, even if I was in a game right now, it would be hard to recall what my day 1 re…

• Quote from KFGauss: “. . . How can they give CoN 10, 20, or 50 viable strategies for grandmasters to employ instead of giving them just 2 or 3 viable ones? . . . ” Rookies vs experts isn't a legitimate comparison, at least not for the point I was making. When two equally-skilled chess players sit down to play there are many strategies and tactics they might employ successfully, and the outcome generally remains uncertain for many moves. CoN and chess are different in many important ways, but to …

• CITY OF LIGHTS

Quote from Dealer of Death: “Should be more like this: . . . ” This would be a useful option to turn on/off

• Day 1 guide

Quote from Drony77: “Okay now I see the point.. . . And again, if there is a good guide for new players, please give me a link. If it exists, indeed, I might have done useless job but I've never seen one so far. ” Drony77, You're on point when you bemoan the lack of a public-game, brand-new player, Day 1, 2, 3 User's Guide. What does exist is better than nothing ("Thank you "to whoever created it), but there is room for it to improve. I think some of the criticisms here are on point when they di…

• I wonder if this is in anyway related to what happens when you carry out an air attack on defending planes and ground troops that are both on the ground in city. You see the defending units in two separate stacks. You tell your planes to attack the stack of grounded planes. And the game gives you feedback that the planes (not the ground troops) are your target. But, instead of obliterating the grounded planes, your attack(s) seem(s) to primarily hit the defending ground troops, until those groun…

• For me the gameplay is by far the more important end of the gameplay vs simulation-accuracy tension. The game skin serves important purposes. For me and for many players, it lets us use our intuition to roughly predict how strategies and tactics will work out. For many folks (not me, but other paying customers) it's also one of the main reasons they would rather use CoN to fight a battle than use a chess board and pieces to fight a battle. However, Dorado and their competitors are taking on a go…

• Thank you for pointing out that I may have gone too far in some instances. I'll try to dial it back a notch. Peace? KFG

• Buckeye - When I wrote "What Buckeye described *is* different", I was referring to your original post in this thread. I didn't even spot the one you wrote directly to me until just now. There's so much fluff in this forum's format I sometimes make that mistake. Does that explanation change anything?

• Shore bombardment

OK I wonder if you and I crossed paths in a game in the last several months? Your screen name seems familiar, but I might be confusing forum users with past opponents. Do you recall if we were in a game together?

• Shore bombardment

Quote from Aggressor X: “I think it is possible to make the game fun and realistic in same time or at least we can get a balance ... ” Aggressor - Did I say it's impossible to make the game both fun and (very loosely) realistic, or that Dorado can't balance those two things? No, I didn't. What I did write is this (I'm paraphrasing): If you want your suggestion to succeed, you need to describe BOTH how it affects realism, AND how it affects the "fun". You only covered one topic, and not the other…

• New Afghanistan Flag

KFGauss - - Suggestions

This right here (above) is exactly why Dorado should immediately shift all their developers into allowing us to change our player names as often as we care to. Just to be a gadfly, I suddenly want to change my name to "Ironic_KFG".

• Shore bombardment

Quote from Aggressor X: “Now todays majority of ships depend on missles for bombardment of the shores Not guns So why not remove navy units ability to bombard And let it use only cruise missiles to make bombardment Or add a certain ships in research tree specific in bombardment like iawo class ” Agressor, Do you want CoN to be a simulation of the real world (if you do, then there are plenty things to start changing), or do you want CoN to be fun to play? I'm guessing you want it to mostly be fun…

• Quote from Dealer of Death: “Quote from KFGauss: “Come on now DoD - There is often some sense in asking "Why are you attacking me?", when what they are saying is "I'm surprised I'm at at the top of your hit list." The emphasis is on the "me" part of it, not on the "Why are you attacking" part of it. Sometimes even the most experience players in any game get curious about other players' motivations and strategies. Other times, yeah it's just someone who needs a dose of reality. ” No, KFC, YOU "co…