New Deploy Armament Units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Deploy Armament Units

Since new deploy armament is out and we see how it works I have my suggestions for where the devs could take the new feature. Here are my ideas:

||Mines||
      Obviously mines are going to be a thing. The question is how are they going to work? Here’s my concept:

Landmine
      Explosive traps that detonate when stepped on or driven over. Especially effective in desert terrain.
      Stats for T2:
      Damage vs soft targets 20
      Damage vs hard targets 20
      Immobile
      Cost 20 Deployable Gears
      Can be deployed by: CRV, Gunship (T3)
      Can be defused by: Spec Ops, Mot inf (T3), CRV
      Can be seen by any unit with scout ability, and will not be triggered by Spec Ops
      Mines are non-functional and visible in sight range for 60 minutes after they are deployed. They have 20 HP and will lose 1 HP every day. Plus 25% damage in desert. Will be destroyed when triggered

Seamine
      Explosive traps that detonate on contact with naval vessels. Can only be deployed in coastal waters.
      Stats for T2:
      Damage vs Ships 10
      Damage vs subs 8.0
      Immobile
      Cost 30 Deployable gears
      Can be deployed and defused by Corvettes
      Can be seen by NPA and ASW
      Mines are non-functional and visible in sight range for 1 day after they are deployed. They have 10 HP and will persist until detonated or defused. Only useable in coastal waters. Will be destroyed when triggered

||Sonobuoy||
      Simple unit concept. Essentially a deployed sonar in the ocean
      Sonobuoy
      Stationary sonar, useful for tracking enemy vessels
      Stats for T2:
      HP 1
      No damage
      Immobile
      Cost 50 Deployable Gears
      Sonar range of 200
      Can be deployed by corvettes
      Sonar signature
      Can be recovered by corvettes. When recovered, the unit is destroyed and the Deployable Gears are refunded.

||Drone Swarm||
      This is a relatively new technology, so I think it would fit nicely as a new Elite Unit
      Drone Swarm (Elite Unit)
      Deployed by cruise missile, these small, deadly drones will make short work of armored vehicles and overwhelm even the most powerful anti air defenses
      Stats for T2:
      When researched, unit is unlocked as a Cruise Missile option. Unlike other cruise missile types, it will consume 50 Deployable Gears instead of warheads. Once the missile hits, a drone swarm spawns
      Drone Swarm has damage type Rotary wing, so SAMs will not damage them, but MAA will quickly destroy them. They do not move, and will patrol within a radius of 30 in the area they were deployed in. They have 30 HP and will crash after 4 hours.
      They have TRE (Target Rich Environment) Attribute. This means they will deal damage to each unit in a stack individually for each attack. Regardless of whether or not the enemy stack has 5 infantry or 20 infantry, they will die after taking 25 damage. Every hour, they will deal 2 damage to infantry and 3 damage to armor, for a total of 8/12 damage

Those are some ideas for this new feature. Take them with a grain of salt, and feel free to reply your own ideas for “Deploy Armament”
      Yee Haw
    • I don't see why landmines should degrade over time. They certainly don't in real life (at least not in the timescale of a single CoN game), and there doesn't seem to me to be a good gameplay reason for it either. I assume that the player who lays them will have them marked on the map, and that this will be visible to their allies (shared intel)? With that in mind, I think their positions should be discoverable by espionage as well.

Also, given that landmines are illegal nowadays, deploying them should probably incur a morale penalty in the same way that using chemical and nuclear weapons does.

Would friendly units have to avoid the mines, by the way? Say, if you laid sea mines outside your cities to prevent coastal attacks, would that also prevent your own ships passing those positions?
    • WalterChang wrote:

I don't see why landmines should degrade over time. They certainly don't in real life (at least not in the timescale of a single CoN game), and there doesn't seem to me to be a good gameplay reason for it either. I assume that the player who lays them will have them marked on the map, and that this will be visible to their allies (shared intel)? With that in mind, I think their positions should be discoverable by espionage as well.

Also, given that landmines are illegal nowadays, deploying them should probably incur a morale penalty in the same way that using chemical and nuclear weapons does.
      Well the idea behind landmine decay is that they are damaged over time. The research time period of CoN scales (to my knowledge) from 1947 (B-47) to 2030~ (railguns). This is a very long time.

The gameplay reasoning is that they should be a more tactical, temporary thing. However, I think having them as a permanent installation wouldn’t hurt either.
      Yee Haw
    • "They have TRE (Target Rich Environment) Attribute. This means they will deal damage to each unit in a stack individually for each attack. Regardless of whether or not the enemy stack has 5 infantry or 20 infantry, they will die after taking 25 damage. Every hour, they will deal 2 damage to infantry and 3 damage to armor, for a total of 8/12 damage"

I would like it in a competitive environment, but it's a bit cruel for the 80% of players that play 4X and log once per day :D
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

The research time period of CoN scales (to my knowledge) from 1947 (B-47) to 2030~ (railguns). This is a very long time.
      I think you get into all sorts of trouble if you start trying to judge implied timeframes by the research tree.

The B-47 first flew in 1947, and that's Day 4 of the game? The Mirage Delta, available on Day 1, first flew in 1978; the Super Heron UAV, also Day 1, first flew in 1994; and the Vulcan bomber, available on Day 25, was retired from service in 1984!

It doesn't even begin to work as a measure. But that's kind of beside the point, anyway. Anti-personnel landmines can kill people decades after they were deployed, which is why they were banned by most countries in 1997. Their use is now considered a war crime. I think the game needs to be a little bit careful about how it depicts them, that's all.
    • WalterChang wrote:

Colonel Waffles wrote:

The research time period of CoN scales (to my knowledge) from 1947 (B-47) to 2030~ (railguns). This is a very long time.
      I think you get into all sorts of trouble if you start trying to judge implied timeframes by the research tree.
      The B-47 first flew in 1947, and that's Day 4 of the game? The Mirage Delta, available on Day 1, first flew in 1978; the Super Heron UAV, also Day 1, first flew in 1994; and the Vulcan bomber, available on Day 25, was retired from service in 1984!

It doesn't even begin to work as a measure. But that's kind of beside the point, anyway. Anti-personnel landmines can kill people decades after they were deployed, which is why they were banned by most countries in 1997. Their use is now considered a war crime. I think the game needs to be a little bit careful about how it depicts them, that's all.
      True. The research schedule is not consistent at all. My concern is that a country lays landmines, is conquered, and 30 days later some other unfortunate country triggers their landmines
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

My concern is that a country lays landmines, is conquered, and 30 days later some other unfortunate country triggers their landmines
      I think that's fine. That's what happens if landmines (or sea mines, for that matter) aren't removed after a conflict ends. In real-life terms, they are a big danger for civilians. For the purposes of CoN, they probably wouldn't amount to much more than an annoyance - someone else's unexploded mines from earlier in the game aren't going to destroy an entire stack of your best units when you're conquering that land a few weeks later - just damage them a bit.