More Suggestions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WalterChang wrote:

1.) "But it's not up to me or you to debate or even consider how gameplay changes might affect the company's profit margin - that's none of our business."

&

2.) "If tweaking the in-game resource market so that buying and selling for in-game money is more of a feature throughout the lifespan of a match than it currently is - if that causes the company to collapse and for the game to disappear, then of course they shouldn't do it! But I personally think that's extremely unlikely to be the outcome."

&

3.) I appreciate that some gameplay mechanics might be designed to encourage Gold spending, and I don't have a problem with the principle of that. But neither you nor I have the information to make an informed comment on how proposed gameplay changes might affect overall Gold purchases, and it's not our place to do so anyway. We are players - we can comment and make suggestions on the gameplay only.
      2.) Of course I was speaking in a hyperbolic manner, but if it EVEN just decrease their ability to maintain, expand and improve, it simply is not worth it for a convenience point.

1.) & 3.) Au Contraire my forum friend, it is INDEED our business if it logically follows that said suggestions could jeopardize the game, it's viability, or possibility for improvement. And as far as this "But neither you nor I have the information to make an informed comment on how proposed gameplay changes might affect overall Gold purchases," that is a complete non sequitur. It does not logically follow. It is obvious that any proposed changes reducing revenue as a matter of the innate property of the suggestion can easily provide the knowledge that it is bad for the bottom line. Now to what extent, granted to your point, that is unknown, but I think it is in MY best interest to shoot down any suggestion that would make viability and improvement more difficult because of needless fiscal idea constraints.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

2.) Of course I was speaking in a hyperbolic manner, but if it EVEN just decrease their ability to maintain, expand and improve, it simply is not worth it for a convenience point.

1.) & 3.) Au Contraire my forum friend, it is INDEED our business if it logically follows that said suggestions could jeopardize the game, it's viability, or possibility for improvement. And as far as this "But neither you nor I have the information to make an informed comment on how proposed gameplay changes might affect overall Gold purchases," that is a complete non sequitur. It does not logically follow. It is obvious that any proposed changes reducing revenue as a matter of the innate property of the suggestion can easily provide the knowledge that it is bad for the bottom line. Now to what extent, granted to your point, that is unknown, but I think it is in MY best interest to shoot down any suggestion that would make viability and improvement more difficult because of needless fiscal idea constraints.
      Well, I disagree.

I don't think it's useful to shoot down suggestions for gameplay changes based on hypothetical consequences to the company's bank balance. If the devs want to do that, then fine! But for the rest of us to do that is not useful because we could well be wrong in our assumptions.

I do not believe that making small changes to certain gameplay mechanics to make them a bit more fun and engaging would damage the business model to the extent that development would noticeably suffer. But that's just my perception of it. The devs can read the suggestions and make their judgment on its positive or negative effects based on their own priorities - both business and creative. For you to shoot them down on the basis of financial concerns for the company is not useful. It gets in the way, frankly.
    • WalterChang wrote:

Well, I disagree.
      I don't think it's useful to shoot down suggestions for gameplay changes based on hypothetical consequences to the company's bank balance. If the devs want to do that, then fine! But for the rest of us to do that is not useful because we could well be wrong in our assumptions.

I do not believe that making small changes to certain gameplay mechanics to make them a bit more fun and engaging would damage the business model to the extent that development would noticeably suffer. But that's just my perception of it. The devs can read the suggestions and make their judgment on its positive or negative effects based on their own priorities - both business and creative. For you to shoot them down on the basis of financial concerns for the company is not useful. It gets in the way, frankly.
      You see, but my assumptions are not wrong, they can not logically be wrong. Now they might not be as impactful as I might think, but it follows logically that suggestions that would reduce revenue, well, reduce revenue. And what you view as a small change is huge in the motivation to buy gold to get more resources. Obviously, no one who wasn't solely trying to buy a win would spend penny 1 on resources if they could get them for free with in game fake money.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• OK, I'm done on this, but I totally agree with you the market could be improved, how? I don't know, but I vehemently disagree with you that suggestions which obviously have some impact on the game's viability aren't subject for discussion on that premise, and will agree to disagree.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

You see, but my assumptions are not wrong, they can not logically be wrong. Now they might not be as impactful as I might think, but it follows logically that suggestions that would reduce revenue, well, reduce revenue. And what you view as a small change is huge in the motivation to buy gold to get more resources. Obviously, no one who wasn't solely trying to buy a win would spend penny 1 on resources if they could get them for free with in game fake money.
      Well, the in-game resource market exists, so there must be some designed intention for players to be able to use in-game fake money to acquire resources instead of using Gold. Otherwise, they would have removed it altogether, presumably.

The point here was that the market doesn't really function anymore beyond the first couple of weeks of the game. The buy and sell offers tend to just dry up as AI nations are removed and players are unwilling to give each other anything. Is it meant to be like that? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It does seem to be an underutilized gameplay feature, though. It could be a more valuable addition to the game's strategic mix - but it doesn't work to achieve that as it currently implemented. There's nothing wrong with making suggestions to that end, and the devs can decide whether or not to take it on board. There must be a balance somewhere between making gameplay improvements that will hopefully increase the game's appeal and expand the player-base through positive player reviews (thereby generating more revenue), and those changes that might improve the gameplay experience but perhaps negatively impact Gold use and revenue in that way. But that is a balance and a consideration that we as players are not party to, responsible for or even entitled to an opinion on, really.
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

OK, I'm done on this, but I totally agree with you the market could be improved, how? I don't know, but I vehemently disagree with you that suggestions which obviously have some impact on the game's viability aren't subject for discussion on that premise, and will agree to disagree.
      Sure! I think I've probably said all I can as well. I do get where you're coming from, too.
    • Incredible answer your last one WalterChang. Totally agree.

And I insist, the Gold could be more controlled or limited in SOME cases. In my opinion, in order to make it more realistic.

And take the opportunity to emphasize the option of a series of scenarios that are more real life. I think that disparities when you start a conflict are normal, and if you like to simulate better real life (I am on of those!), we should not be scared of strong differencies between countries at the beginning. All differencies I think can be balanced through diplomacy and strategy.

Btw, I love the discussion that we are having here! Hope CoN read all this!
    • SAITAM78 wrote:

One other thing that I usually struggle with, is the Notifications tab... there is quite a mess over there... it would be nice if they could clean that up a bit... maybe separating the notifications somehow... with tabs for killings, territories, spies, attacks and diplomacy...

DOn't you think?
      Yes, I'd like to confirm, that I do in fact, think. I suppose that's why I am, and I do try to think at least once a day. Some days and in certain situations, I have been known to think twice. At least I think.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• WalterChang wrote:

So, if you want to sell, you just choose the amount of the resource you want to sell and you can instantly get that sale at the current market price. If you want to buy, you again just choose the amount of the resource you want, and you pay the current market price. Each time someone buys, the price goes up by a fixed amount depending on the amount of resources involved; each time someone sells, the price goes down.

WalterChang wrote:

My view is that, in order for the game to be worth playing as a p2p online strategy game, then it should be players' strategy that determines their success, first and foremost.
      Don't you think those 2 ideas kind of oppose to each other?

In my experience by mid-late game Money stops being a concern and am able to put high value offers in the market 1x9 / 1x10, if that suggestion was implemented then the strategy would be only to worry about getting more regular provinces to increase my money income. Why should I bother on wasting bunch of different resources on an Arms Industry lvl 5 if I can just buy the resources I need whenever I need them?

In my opinion the CoN market works fine, inactivity of players is what makes it look dead/useless in some matches :thumbdown: A large number of active players would mean a large number of offers available. I've been on games where even Fuel has been sold in high prices, others where no one wants to sell Supplies at x15 :(
    • -0- wrote:

Don't you think those 2 ideas kind of oppose to each other?

In my experience by mid-late game Money stops being a concern and am able to put high value offers in the market 1x9 / 1x10, if that suggestion was implemented then the strategy would be only to worry about getting more regular provinces to increase my money income. Why should I bother on wasting bunch of different resources on an Arms Industry lvl 5 if I can just buy the resources I need whenever I need them?

In my opinion the CoN market works fine, inactivity of players is what makes it look dead/useless in some matches A large number of active players would mean a large number of offers available. I've been on games where even Fuel has been sold in high prices, others where no one wants to sell Supplies at x15
      You may well be right that the game is designed so that resources are hard to come by. That is certainly the general impression I get.

My suggestion was not that there would always be infinite resources available to buy. Countries would have to sell to the market before there would be resources available to buy. It's just that instead of individual sale offers with prices set by the individual sellers, all sold resources would go into a pool, with the price set by the game depending on the amount of resources available: the fewer resources on sale, the higher the price.

To be honest, I'm not convinced myself that this'd make a huge difference. But the intention behind it is to try and think of a way to encourage players to use the market more than they do with the current system. Perhaps being able to sell at any time for a market-rate price would do this? And in turn, if more people are selling, there is more available to buy.
    • Guys, but what about the idea fo a Scenario based on real military capacities for each country at a certain period of time? I had some in favor and against.

Most of the people against have mentioned arguments based on huge inequality at the starting point. But, in my case, I am not too worried about that since diplomacy and strategy play a HUGHE role on the outcome of any CoN game.

Additionally, you could have some of the most powerful nations be managed by AI in some cases. Or not. Just thinking outloud.

Thoughts?
    • SAITAM78 wrote:

Guys, but what about the idea fo a Scenario based on real military capacities for each country at a certain period of time? I had some in favor and against.

Most of the people against have mentioned arguments based on huge inequality at the starting point. But, in my case, I am not too worried about that since diplomacy and strategy play a HUGHE role on the outcome of any CoN game.

Additionally, you could have some of the most powerful nations be managed by AI in some cases. Or not. Just thinking outloud.

Thoughts?
      I'd play it.
    • SAITAM78 wrote:

And Yes! I am Level 102 in CoW... : ) Love that game and REALLY love that in CoN resource production is much more and issue than in CoW. I agree that they should be KEY for expansion, just as they are in real life.
      i stoped playing COW after Midas players started delivering rockets like santa. Thwee is no way to stop them. Here in CON thw system fives you rge possibility ro xounter everthing. And not producing wnough resources:
      1. There is bo such thing as enough...
      2. Its part if dorados business to cash un from inpatient players...so you wont get anything that vitamizes rhe market...alttough thw AU countrys are stockpilling ressources...
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.