Another level of nuclear weapons past ICBM?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Buckeyechamp wrote:

I know.. but just brought up point why nuke icbms shouldn't be part of game.
      Well . . . Not exactly - You did describe some of the reasons why real world conflicts haven't involved nukes for a while.

However, CoN isn't a simulation of the real world's past, or likely futures.

CoN is a game, with a patina of "realism" wrapped around it
      1) So that players' intuitions about how real world behave can be a sort-of useful guide for how the corresponding CoN units behave in the game, and
      2) So that players who enjoy the I'll-suspend-disbelief-and-pretend-I'm-actually-operating-real-weapons aspect of this sort of game are more likely to play it.

Regardless - FWIW - I generally dislike letting game pieces' capabilities grow enough to create dramatic imbalances as the turns of each/any instance of a game are played, so I'm no fan of CoN's nukes.
      However, under the current rules, without something like nukes, Dorado might be stuck hosting some ridiculously long games while players try to defeat each other using other methods. I'm curious if that's the main reason why nukes exist in CoN, or if some other reason(s) dominated their decision to include them.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

I know.. but just brought up point why nuke icbms shouldn't be part of game.
      Well . . . Not exactly - You did describe some of the reasons why real world conflicts haven't involved nukes for a while.
      However, CoN isn't a simulation of the real world's past, or likely futures.

CoN is a game, with a patina of "realism" wrapped around it
      1) So that players' intuitions about how real world behave can be a sort-of useful guide for how the corresponding CoN units behave in the game, and
      2) So that players who enjoy the I'll-suspend-disbelief-and-pretend-I'm-actually-operating-real-weapons aspect of this sort of game are more likely to play it.

Regardless - FWIW - I generally dislike letting game pieces' capabilities grow enough to create dramatic imbalances as the turns of each/any instance of a game are played, so I'm no fan of CoN's nukes.
      However, under the current rules, without something like nukes, Dorado might be stuck hosting some ridiculously long games while players try to defeat each other using other methods. I'm curious if that's the main reason why nukes exist in CoN, or if some other reason(s) dominated their decision to include them.
      ? Maybe because nuking the Hell out of an opponent is fun?
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • KFGauss wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

? Maybe because nuking the Hell out of an opponent is fun?
      I think we are agreeing.
      Is that legal?
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

Dorado might be stuck hosting some ridiculously long games while players try to defeat each other using other methods. I'm curious if that's the main reason why nukes exist in CoN, or if some other reason(s) dominated their decision to include them.

Think more to encourage less skilled players to try to win via non traditional methods. And I only got nuked once .. and it wasnt that bad...lol as far s getting nuked goes.

But it did lead shortly to nukers demise and still won.

ICBMs Nukes not worth time and resources (crap ton of wasted research to hit one city) even via gold as you can only use so many to have a real game effect before morale penalty stops them. I had one coal partner who went nuke crazy and worked for a bit but morale penalty and not too mention now whole world against you.

Only game ever had or used a Nuke was apocalypse maps (heck if giving me toys Im using them before used against me ;) )
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Job_ee wrote:

thanoscar21 wrote:

Currently in the game, you only have ICBMs, nuclear ballistic missiles, and nuclear cruise missiles. How about adding different ones, for example, a B83 for the Western research doctrine, an RDS-37 for Eastern, and the Yellow Sun/Red Snow for the European doctrine. These would be delivered through heavy bombers, and would be considerably more powerful than the missiles. Thoughts?
      I like your idea, but maybe not more powerful nukes. EMPs would be a great weapon though. The premise behind it is it would stop all recourse and troop production in a city for a certain period of time and significantly drop morale without causing casualties against your country's own morale. But being the powerful weapon it is, it would have to be just as costly as getting nukes, if not more.
      Should also probably shut off communication like troop orders in region for a little while, and if hit capital shuts off diplomacy for while and troop orders for maybe a day at most.
    • Greyhulk wrote:

Job_ee wrote:

thanoscar21 wrote:

Currently in the game, you only have ICBMs, nuclear ballistic missiles, and nuclear cruise missiles. How about adding different ones, for example, a B83 for the Western research doctrine, an RDS-37 for Eastern, and the Yellow Sun/Red Snow for the European doctrine. These would be delivered through heavy bombers, and would be considerably more powerful than the missiles. Thoughts?
      I like your idea, but maybe not more powerful nukes. EMPs would be a great weapon though. The premise behind it is it would stop all recourse and troop production in a city for a certain period of time and significantly drop morale without causing casualties against your country's own morale. But being the powerful weapon it is, it would have to be just as costly as getting nukes, if not more.
      Should also probably shut off communication like troop orders in region for a little while, and if hit capital shuts off diplomacy for while and troop orders for maybe a day at most.
      because disabling the ability to play the game is such a fun and balanced thing to do!
      even more so when wars can easily decided within 24h.
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • If some missles would be added, could be hypersonic ones as elite items. Should be super fast and super expensive withs nothing except railgun to shot them down probably to be analogical to real life.

Tbey are so expensive that Russia in real life plan to have maximum of 60 pieces, produced throughout few decades. They need a lot of titanium to be produced.

But are fast as few (5+) or a dozen of mach. They can carry nukes too.
    • Greyhulk wrote:

Job_ee wrote:

thanoscar21 wrote:

I like your train of thought, but people could easily get around much of the communication blockage by using Discord to communicate to fellow coalition members.
    • Teburu wrote:

Greyhulk wrote:

Job_ee wrote:

thanoscar21 wrote:

because disabling the ability to play the game is such a fun and balanced thing to do!even more so when wars can easily decided within 24h.
      That would actually be good. I've just completed a game where the fate of the game was sealed within the first 18 game days, without Weapons of Mass Destruction.
    • Seroslav wrote:

If some missles would be added, could be hypersonic ones as elite items. Should be super fast and super expensive withs nothing except railgun to shot them down probably to be analogical to real life.

Tbey are so expensive that Russia in real life plan to have maximum of 60 pieces, produced throughout few decades. They need a lot of titanium to be produced.

But are fast as few (5+) or a dozen of mach. They can carry nukes too.
      Good idea.