Transporting Infantry/Tanks to another continent

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • PerigeeNil wrote:

      Dealer of Death wrote:

      All I am certain of is: "the game will automatically select the fastest travel route" is a FALSE statement.
      Lol, alright, man. Like I said, people on this Forum will try to dispute anything. I'll go back to my correction:
      Okay, yes, there are weird exceptions. IN GENERAL, THOUGH, the game TRIES to choose the fastest route for you MOST OF THE TIME. Cripes.

      And, like I also said, my response was in response to a specific situation the player had mentioned. I didn't mean it to be "unable to be disproven in any situation ever." He said he didn't realize he could put tanks on transports rather than running them through the jungles and mountains of Central America, and I was just trying to let him know that IN HIS SITUATION if he had selected the destination directly from the point of origin, the game PROBABLY would have offered him a faster route if one was available.
      To be honest, I wasn't so much trying to put out "PerigeeNil Wrong" as I was trying to prevent the noob from counting on that statement. I have saved cities by ignoring the computer pathway for my own. I guess the best thing is just to check any pathway you make for alternatives.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way


      "Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Right, well, then I guess we probably both had the best intentions. I think we just had two different approaches (in this case) for trying to help the new folks.

      You didn't want him to rely on information that turns out to be conditional (i.e. sometimes "FALSE") later. That makes sense, because learning it later might cost him. I get it.

      I didn't want to weigh down a new player - who has already expressed that he's feeling overwhelmed - with, "Well, but if you travel around the southern tip of Africa..." when he's just trying to wrap his head around putting tanks on ships in his first BG USA game, just so I could make sure I explicitly mention every possibility.

      A less confontational way to make your point may have been to say something like:

      "While the game logarithm does generally seem to try to offer the quickest, easiest route most of the time; it sometimes makes mistakes and costs you time. If time is of the essence, you can always double-check your route options and chart your own path."

      That way, if "NilWrong" wasn't what you were shooting for, then you wouldn't have needed to quote me and color-code THIS is FALSE.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by PerigeeNil ().

    • Tifo_14 wrote:

      PatrickDawson76 wrote:

      I know that if you have cities in your own continent with airports, you can airlift/drop them from one city to another etc, but how do you get them across the sea....


      Many thanks
      The answer is pretty simple. If a coastal city (or a pontoon province) is nearby, your stack will automatically select the nearest one and use it to embark to sea. When disembarking on enemy land, you have to use an enemy coastal city. You can't disembark on rural provinces (unless there is a pontoon built there)
      But again the exception is naval infantry and amphibious combat vehicle . They can embark and disembark without a harbor or pontoon in some provinces. Great units to use on islands and to make surprise landings. I love to use them when I can, drawback is naval infantry will not fly until level 4 I think.
    • this is reminding me of the hell i go through when plotting a route from missouri to california on google maps to visit my family and friends

      "why would you automatically give me THAT route. i wanna save an hour mf!" haha

      UPDATE: that was awesome. it DID give me the coastal route for my tanks. unfortunately, i don't think i am saving much time as i would still have to travel 3.5 hours by land. i think it saved me about 15 minutes though out of 24 hours. can't wait til i get up to baja cali. this is going to become very doable. the only reason i didn't know there were transport ship and faster route was because i got in the habit of doing way points after finding out i couldn't fly them yet.

      thanks guys!


      EDIT: i just spent some time trying to figure out this route and evidently the route it picked for me ws based on how i scrolled the map. so sometimes it would pick the land route and sometmes it would pick the coastal route. coastal route. i also noticed that it wont pick the fastest route. coastal route is still faster but i still had to create way points after disembark for faster route. saves a total of about 50 minutes(18:47 total). if someone wasn't in a hurry to get somewhere it really wouldn't make a difference really. you just click on destination and just go with the flow. i am in no hurry for these units myself but when my final two are created, knowing this is going to come in handy. and i do get the fact that fastest route may not be the BEST route at times. i know there were some disagreements but i felt the multiple scenarios is good to know and then just travel the best way possible under the current scenario and circumstances

      The post was edited 1 time, last by dfrost ().

    • PerigeeNil wrote:

      Right, well, then I guess we probably both had the best intentions. I think we just had two different approaches (in this case) for trying to help the new folks.

      You didn't want him to rely on information that turns out to be conditional (i.e. sometimes "FALSE") later. That makes sense, because learning it later might cost him. I get it.

      I didn't want to weigh down a new player - who has already expressed that he's feeling overwhelmed - with, "Well, but if you travel around the southern tip of Africa..." when he's just trying to wrap his head around putting tanks on ships in his first BG USA game, just so I could make sure I explicitly mention every possibility.

      A less confontational way to make your point may have been to say something like:

      "While the game logarithm does generally seem to try to offer the quickest, easiest route most of the time; it sometimes makes mistakes and costs you time. If time is of the essence, you can always double-check your route options and chart your own path."

      That way, if "NilWrong" wasn't what you were shooting for, then you wouldn't have needed to quote me and color-code THIS is FALSE.
      That makes no sense, I'm Dealer of Death. Didn't you read my signature? Now get the Hell off my lawn.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way


      "Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • bobqz wrote:

      Tifo_14 wrote:

      PatrickDawson76 wrote:

      I know that if you have cities in your own continent with airports, you can airlift/drop them from one city to another etc, but how do you get them across the sea....


      Many thanks
      The answer is pretty simple. If a coastal city (or a pontoon province) is nearby, your stack will automatically select the nearest one and use it to embark to sea. When disembarking on enemy land, you have to use an enemy coastal city. You can't disembark on rural provinces (unless there is a pontoon built there)
      But again the exception is naval infantry and amphibious combat vehicle . They can embark and disembark without a harbor or pontoon in some provinces. Great units to use on islands and to make surprise landings. I love to use them when I can, drawback is naval infantry will not fly until level 4 I think.
      Forgot about that... thanks for correcting me :)
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

      "I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

      Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • so when transporting troops, is it a good idea then to at least have a ship to make sure the port is clear first? if there are other ships or other units in that city, they automatically attack, correct? i noticed someone said the troops will be vulnerable while disembarking.

      in my current game i am in a good spot where i don't have to protect against the border too much(near mexico/texas) so i think i may want to travel to cuba/haiti. pretty close to my port where i plan on building frigates. hell, i could probably swim there.

      EDIT: also, i believe ports get damaged when you attack the city. are transport ships still operational even if the port is damaged?

      The post was edited 1 time, last by dfrost ().

    • dfrost wrote:

      EDIT: also, i believe ports get damaged when you attack the city. are transport ships still operational even if the port is damaged?
      Yes, you can still land troops when there is a harbor (Level 1) available. Level 1 harbors cannot be damaged to the point of being unoperational; they just exist.



      dfrost wrote:

      so when transporting troops, is it a good idea then to at least have a ship to make sure the port is clear first? if there are other ships or other units in that city, they automatically attack, correct? i noticed someone said the troops will be vulnerable while disembarking.
      Honestly, it's almost always a good idea to check (by whatever means) what's in a port/harbor before you land there, especially because once the battle begins, you cannot retreat if you don't own any other adjacent land. That's true of any territory, really. But, you're right, in the case of a player port, there's also the chance that there will be enemy warships there, and they will destroy your troop transports without taking any damage themselves (transports don't fire).
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

      dfrost wrote:

      EDIT: also, i believe ports get damaged when you attack the city. are transport ships still operational even if the port is damaged?
      Yes, you can still land troops when there is a harbor (Level 1) available. Level 1 harbors cannot be damaged to the point of being unoperational; they just exist.


      dfrost wrote:

      so when transporting troops, is it a good idea then to at least have a ship to make sure the port is clear first? if there are other ships or other units in that city, they automatically attack, correct? i noticed someone said the troops will be vulnerable while disembarking.
      Honestly, it's almost always a good idea to check (by whatever means) what's in a port/harbor before you land there, especially because once the battle begins, you cannot retreat if you don't own any other adjacent land. That's true of any territory, really. But, you're right, in the case of a player port, there's also the chance that there will be enemy warships there, and they will destroy your troop transports without taking any damage themselves (transports don't fire).
      awesome! thanks Perigee! i kinda assumed that but wanted to clarify because assuming things in this game can get ya killed! i am bored so i do think i will do a fly by with my asf and sf i just got done mobilizing to see what's on the coast...