Before there was CON, there was this to play.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Im On Smoko wrote:

Anyone ever play Axis & Allies?
      CON reminds me of this game.

I included the Zombie version for DoD to get excited about. :* :thumbup:

CoN is not a WW2 game, this post probably belongs in the CoW 1942 forum.
      Otherwise, it does seem similar to CoN...
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • Tifo_14 wrote:

Im On Smoko wrote:

CoN is not a WW2 game, this post probably belongs in the CoW 1942 forum.Otherwise, it does seem similar to CoN...
      Yes captain obvious, CoN is not a WWII game. There are many similarities between the two in terms of a war strategy game where there are multiple similar units. And also technology advances.

Btw,You didn't point out that the game used a board and dice in the differences either. Or little plastic pieces for that matter.

Man, some people on this forum are pedantic to say the least.
    • Im On Smoko wrote:

When I was in the Army, I played countless games of Axis & Allies, as well as Fortress America, but we stopped playing Axis & Allies once I worked out a strategy that allowed the Axis to win most of the time. (Not figuring in the luck of the dice)
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Im On Smoko wrote:

When I was in the Army, I played countless games of Axis & Allies, as well as Fortress America, but we stopped playing Axis & Allies once I worked out a strategy that allowed the Axis to win most of the time. (Not figuring in the luck of the dice)
      Oh yes, Fortress Frustration, I mean America. I remember that the units were electric and if your supply lines were cut but severing any direct line of units on the territories, they were lost. And of course the partisans / militias that would spring up. My friend was an expert at that game. I would play him as the invading forces, thinking I was doing good and the bloody militia would spring up.

I also had the Buck Rogers board game. Each army had a hero or officer like buck, wilma, twiggy, etc. with a special power.

Also, unique to the strategy of Bock Rogers was the orbit of the planets & asteroids around the sun. When you flew bombers, fighters and transports to attack a planet you could time an attack to the orbit of the planet where the planet would come towards your forces.

These games are some what collectable and have value, much unlike some comments / responses in this forum.

I sold mine to a toy store that specialized in older cool toys and games.

• i havent seen those games before but con ww3 reminds me of risk

Edit

i got risk on the christmas of 2018 i think and risk reminds me of con ww3 here is the discription. Risk is a strategy board game of diplomacy, conflict and conquest[1] for two to six players. The standard version is played on a board depicting a political map of the world, divided into forty-two territories, which are grouped into six continents. Turns rotate among players who control armies of playing pieces with which they attempt to capture territories from other players, with results determined by dice rolls. Players may form and dissolve alliances during the course of the game. The goal of the game is to occupy every territory on the board and, in doing so, eliminate the other players.[2] The game can be lengthy, requiring several hours to multiple days to finish. European versions are structured so that each player has a limited "secret mission" objective that shortens the game.
    • player528 wrote:

i havent seen those games before but con ww3 reminds me of risk

Edit

i got risk on the christmas of 2018 i think and risk reminds me of con ww3 here is the discription. Risk is a strategy board game of diplomacy, conflict and conquest[1] for two to six players. The standard version is played on a board depicting a political map of the world, divided into forty-two territories, which are grouped into six continents. Turns rotate among players who control armies of playing pieces with which they attempt to capture territories from other players, with results determined by dice rolls. Players may form and dissolve alliances during the course of the game. The goal of the game is to occupy every territory on the board and, in doing so, eliminate the other players.[2] The game can be lengthy, requiring several hours to multiple days to finish. European versions are structured so that each player has a limited "secret mission" objective that shortens the game.

______________________________________________________________________________________

One of the many things I like about Risk is that the rules were straight forward & it was easier to get people to play.

A game like Axis and Allies had so many rules & some were ambiguous. For example there was an AA unit, were it was unclear if they only get one shot at air units or get to fire each turn of combat (in defense only).

The complicated rules turned many people away from Axis & Allies.
    • Im On Smoko wrote:

player528 wrote:

i havent seen those games before but con ww3 reminds me of risk

Edit

One of the many things I like about Risk is that the rules were straight forward & it was easier to get people to play.
      A game like Axis and Allies had so many rules & some were ambiguous. For example there was an AA unit, were it was unclear if they only get one shot at air units or get to fire each turn of combat (in defense only).
      The complicated rules turned many people away from Axis & Allies.
      The only thing I remember from playing risk is that it at least didn't feel like there was any strategic depth you could use to have the odds be in your favor, it was just luck and common sense. Yes, I also didn't play that game much, but the few times I did it ever felt like the winner won because of skill.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • I remember when Risk came out for the Apple IIe, it had a monochrome display (that's black and white for you kids, YES, really, black & white) so the only way to differentiate between countries was shading, lines, dot and symbols. One of your choices would make heads explode in today's snowflake world: you could choose swastikas all over your country.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Owned and played all of the above along with about 20 Avalon Hill games.
      Files
      "For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" -