Saudi Arabia Armor: (AFV Vs. MBT)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Saudi Arabia Armor: (AFV Vs. MBT)

So, I'm currently playing a Saudi Arabia WW3 round toward the end of in-game Day 3. I have Mot Inf, NG, ASF, and CRV production up and running, and corvettes will be out soon. However, I'm still contemplating whether I should research AFVs or MBTs. I intend to go southwest along Eastern Africa once I secure the Middle East and the MBT HP is looking great, but my instinct is to go with AFVs because of better versatility and air defense. What do you all recommend? Also, based on that, should I use Strike Fighters as usual, or switch to Attack Helicopters because of the Western Doctrine buff? Finally, what type of air defense what be suggested? My current thought is ASF+SF+AFV+SAM, but I'm open to thoughts. :)
    • Also, which artillery should I use? During my last stint on CoN, I didn't make much use of it, but I'm looking to try that this time, particularly as a counter to potential engagements with MBTs where they have an advantage. More generally, and this might be best in another thread, but what is the current meta and your best recommended method of defeating tanks?
    • Stratieon wrote:

So, I'm currently playing a Saudi Arabia WW3 round toward the end of in-game Day 3. I have Mot Inf, NG, ASF, and CRV production up and running, and corvettes will be out soon. However, I'm still contemplating whether I should research AFVs or MBTs. I intend to go southwest along Eastern Africa once I secure the Middle East and the MBT HP is looking great, but my instinct is to go with AFVs because of better versatility and air defense. What do you all recommend? Also, based on that, should I use Strike Fighters as usual, or switch to Attack Helicopters because of the Western Doctrine buff? Finally, what type of air defense what be suggested? My current thought is ASF+SF+AFV+SAM, but I'm open to thoughts. :)
      if you really have to choose between afv and mbt, then I'd go for the AFV... you still have pretty much the same vulnerabilities but get airlift at T2 and iirc it has slightly better terrainmodifiers, its also cheaper and western doctrine gives research bonus to it.
      If you choose attack helis over SF you might as well go full heli; same for SF, if you do SF get their naval version... pure aircraft stacks are kinda meh. I'd go for helis simply because while the range might be shorter, they are way harder to counter and in general sams as counter to SF are more common than maa as counter to helis.
      As airdefense SAMs are pretty much the best you can get, doesn't do shit against helis but ohterwise really allround

Stratieon wrote:

Also, which artillery should I use? During my last stint on CoN, I didn't make much use of it, but I'm looking to try that this time, particularly as a counter to potential engagements with MBTs where they have an advantage. More generally, and this might be best in another thread, but what is the current meta and your best recommended method of defeating tanks?
      if you plan to depend on artillery, then mrls are the way to go imo its not really worth getting into mobile artillery and then switch to mrls, tho if you dont plan to arty vs arty mobile is fine too
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Stratieon wrote:

if you really have to choose between afv and mbt, then I'd go for the AFV... you still have pretty much the same vulnerabilities but get airlift at T2 and iirc it has slightly better terrainmodifiers, its also cheaper and western doctrine gives research bonus to it.If you choose attack helis over SF you might as well go full heli; same for SF, if you do SF get their naval version... pure aircraft stacks are kinda meh. I'd go for helis simply because while the range might be shorter, they are way harder to counter and in general sams as counter to SF are more common than maa as counter to helis.
      As airdefense SAMs are pretty much the best you can get, doesn't do shit against helis but ohterwise really allround

Stratieon wrote:

Also, which artillery should I use? During my last stint on CoN, I didn't make much use of it, but I'm looking to try that this time, particularly as a counter to potential engagements with MBTs where they have an advantage. More generally, and this might be best in another thread, but what is the current meta and your best recommended method of defeating tanks?
      if you plan to depend on artillery, then mrls are the way to go imo its not really worth getting into mobile artillery and then switch to mrls, tho if you dont plan to arty vs arty mobile is fine too
      Cool; thanks! I think I'll go with AFVs and SAMs. My conflict between SF and Helis is mainly one of combined arms; once I have AFVs, they're vulnerable mainly to TDs in cities and MBTs on open ground. Attack helis are therefore a great option once paired with SAMs, but then my ops are slightly constrained by range and if the enemy has jet superiority. With ASFs, SFs, AFVs, and SAMs, I can destroy infantry, hold air superiority, and strike anything that causes problems. If I run into armor that has air protection though, my two options are instead using attack helis, or decimating it with arty. I still have a few days' time to make the decision, but that's my conflict. I'm thinking I should just do a full analysis of each possible combined arms structure.
    • Stratieon wrote:

Okay, I've done the calculations and I have a solution. ASF + SF + AFV + MAAV + SAM, then NPA + Marines :thumbsup:
      Meh on Marines, they've been pretty much castrated since every island now has a port
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • "if you plan to depend on artillery, then mrls are the way to go imo its not really worth getting into mobile artillery and then switch to mrls, tho if you dont plan to arty vs arty mobile is fine too"

Interestingly i'm a little in disagreement, but only because going right away to MRLs is costly early, except if you don't do them before day 17 of course.

At least, the mobile artillery (when i play solo, that is) is as always so efficient economically...
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

"if you plan to depend on artillery, then mrls are the way to go imo its not really worth getting into mobile artillery and then switch to mrls, tho if you dont plan to arty vs arty mobile is fine too"

Interestingly i'm a little in disagreement, but only because going right away to MRLs is costly early, except if you don't do them before day 17 of course.

At least, the mobile artillery (when i play solo, that is) is as always so efficient economically...
      I really do not like having to wait for the ability to airlift tho
    • hence the transitioning to MRL, no ?

You do Mobile artilleries in the early and beginning of Mid, transition around day 17 to day 20, and there you go.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

hence the transitioning to MRL, no ?

You do Mobile artilleries in the early and beginning of Mid, transition around day 17 to day 20, and there you go.
      not really much of a fan of changing between different artillieries; imo getting arty early on is kinda meh...
      you aren't really at a point in the game where you need the sheer efficiency that arty provides but their slow attack speed/vulnerabilities can slow you down early on; how much depends on specific circumstances
      tbh getting a "meta" stack of mrl (and maybe even sams) done is more of project that happens on the side, i prefer getting asf/heli early on to do the dmg because imo it tends to fit with how the game progresses ... while clearing out enemies with asf/helis becomes a bit more difficult (bigger stacks, more def dmg, stuff like that) my progress with getting my mrl stack together grows

but then again; it might just be me not really liking redundant research
    • Can't argue with that on the battlefield, it's often "not needed".

And i am the first to admit that often it's not needed. But i always do that with things like "what if i fall on Kalrakh" in mind :D