Thoughts on hospital.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• In the public games, if you're flying a lot of air strikes, a high level hospital within a "reasonable" commute to/from your front lines converts beaten up planes into shiny new ones. A level 5 hospital does it wonderfully fast.

Also, Air Transports often shuttle units to & from Hospitals quickly enough to worth the trouble.

Dead units are lost resources (including time) that you never get back.

I hate to lose any units (resources & time) that I could have rotated through a hospital instead of working them to death. So, I build a few hospitals (one at a time) in strategic locations, and upgrade them.

Other successful players just throw everything into the fight (in an intelligent manner) without trying to heal their guys. They do it as part of an overall strategy that benefits from advancing a bit faster.

I'm not sure if the benefits a low-level hospital gives a city makes it worthwhile to build them everywhere. The last time I did the back-of-the-envelop math, given my playing style, my answer was, no. I know more about the game now. I might run the numbers again.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• typically, I only build 1 hospital, usually at the end of the first week, raise it to 3 ASAP, then finish it to 5 when time and resources allow. On Flashpoint tho, I might build a bunch from time to time when I'm swimming in resources and dragging things out
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Hospital is probably the most important building in early game (except if you're defending against strong all-in enemy, then bunker is a must). Leveling up including. At least in capital if you're a small country.
      Especially if you use units that can fly from day one. Ofc planes and choppers do I have to mention.

Just consider this, if you heal your troops you have them for free back in game. You attack, deal damage or destroy enemy units and after few days your units are back when healed.
      And you can still train new ones. If your enemy can't heal units, he can only build new.
      Meaning you can eventually overrun your enemy.

But as always there's not enough resources so you have to balance in the beginning.

Ofc if you are in position to stay out of early wars than better not to rush hospitals.
    • Zemunelo wrote:

Hospital is probably the most important building in early game (except if you're defending against strong all-in enemy, then bunker is a must). Leveling up including. At least in capital if you're a small country.
      Especially if you use units that can fly from day one. Ofc planes and choppers do I have to mention.

Just consider this, if you heal your troops you have them for free back in game. You attack, deal damage or destroy enemy units and after few days your units are back when healed.
      And you can still train new ones. If your enemy can't heal units, he can only build new.
      Meaning you can eventually overrun your enemy.

But as always there's not enough resources so you have to balance in the beginning.

Ofc if you are in position to stay out of early wars than better not to rush hospitals.

Most players do not even think about healing their troops, they just use them until they die sadly.

I always build hospitals, partly to heal my troops, partly to increase city growth in important core cities.
    • this is helpful thank you guy for your input. I definitely do not heal troop except my planes. I'm gonna play a match and try and save as many lives as possible. See if I can work It in to my normal game play. Sometime to me it always seems like you can get a new unit faster then healing one. You do put in a way that if I can get a good rotation going then I wont notice probably, plus have more troops. This is usually my problem in 4x games is by end game I'm low in troop number, scratching my head of way the larger country still has more troop but this would make sense. Thank you. Definitely will read more of anyone else has some input!
    • Me?

I build ONE hospital, buff it to the max, and park an airport in that town.

I also create a network of airports throughout the empire, to move wounded troops, birds and other high value units needing repair quickly back to that hospital.
      Then I use the same series of air bridges to get the healed forces back into the fight.

I think of that hospital as an extra production center, able to build a variety of units at no cost in resources to me.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

If my units take to long to fly back to the hospital, I prefer to build a new one closer by
      So how long is 'too long'?

Me?
      If the unit is at less than 75% strength, and not desperately needed to plug a defensive hole, or exploit a gap, I route them back for repair.
      Time doesn't matter, they will eventually return to the battle, at full strength and upgraded to current tech.
      All at no resource cost to me.
      So, I think of them as free units somewhere in a deployment pipeline.
    • Hydralysk wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

If my units take to long to fly back to the hospital, I prefer to build a new one closer by
      So how long is 'too long'?
      Me?
      If the unit is at less than 75% strength, and not desperately needed to plug a defensive hole, or exploit a gap, I route them back for repair.
      Time doesn't matter, they will eventually return to the battle, at full strength and upgraded to current tech.
      All at no resource cost to me.
      So, I think of them as free units somewhere in a deployment pipeline.

That is for your self to decide.

For airforce a few hours can already be to long, because they heal rather quickly, so every hour they spend flying is an hour lost healing.

Resource are not really an issue at a certain point of the game.
    • Obviously you have to build another lvl-ed up hospital somewhere closer to front if you control big empire in late game (or mid if you are fast and furious :rolleyes: ).
      It doesn't have to be a lvl5 to do the job.

And yes it seems healing is slow but with more troops stacked, more hp/day you get. Number of troops multiple province healing (1+hospital lvl).

So for example max hospital will give you 6hp/day.
      If you have 5 units of same type stacked you get 6*5=30 hp per day. 10 units in stack = 60hp/day.
      This is for ground troops, air units will give you up to 30% more hp/day. So they heal faster.

It's all without any resources spent or training slot occupied. And those troops will defend in emergency.

As I said hospital is one of the most important building in game.

I also have problems in mid game with stronger units who don't have ability to fly soon enough.
      Should I retreat them to capital (or wherever biggest hospital is located) or start building new hospital few lvl's near front.

Usually I build roads and send them home. But you can't do it if you're invading very far from home or if your units would travel through unsecured sea/provinces.
    • Zemunelo wrote:

And yes it seems healing is slow but with more troops stacked, more hp/day you get. Number of troops multiple province healing (1+hospital lvl).

So for example max hospital will give you 6hp/day.
      If you have 5 units of same type stacked you get 6*5=30 hp per day. 10 units in stack = 60hp/day.
      This is for ground troops, air units will give you up to 30% more hp/day. So they heal faster.
      This helps only in healing faster, if you mix damaged units with undamaged units though :)

Aircrafts though can heal for 200% and even more, it depends on the difference on their HP in midair and their HP on the ground (always 15)
      Drone are the only aircraft which really sucks at healing on the other hand
      Same reason non-AIP subs heal better double as fast as ships
      And why sometimes troops heal faster in transport ships then they even would in a max hospital

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kalrakh ().