Research priorities

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Opulon wrote:

It's the "can a 7.62 round pierce a Level III ballistic armor at 2 miles range ?" kind of question.
      Or, "Can a 7.62 round kill a man at 2 miles range?"

Why yes, yes it can.

"So why invest thousands of dollars training an infantryman when they can be taken out by a two cent piece of metal?"

'Cuz jest cuz it can, doesn't mean it does, that often.
      Cherry picking data to support your argument works best in power point briefings.
      Trying it in reality on the other hand gets Murphy involved.
    • I don't disagree with you. But just sometimes it does provides interesting insights to play around concepts and ideas.

To give a field example, it's how the dedicated anti-air SZU that is emblematic of Soviet short range air defense, began to be viewed as a infantry support vehicle, because
      "despite its role and ability not being anti-infantry"... nobody ever thinks of even raising his head if he is, even remotely, in the area of fire of such a "anti-air vehicle" firing on ground :D

In this case, it's a forum discussion, from a user with a specific question. I indulge in his request, while i still say that this theoretical knowledge differs from applied wisdom.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.