Landlocked is Key! Change my mind.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Landlocked is Key! Change my mind.

Let me start out with a bold statement:

CHAD IS THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE GAME.

You agree? Disagree? Now let me explain.

Being a land-locked nation is an incredibly underrated advantage. Why? Intelligence! It is much easier to track, trace, find, and kill enemies that are coming for you on land.

There is nothing worse than a surprise naval invasion. And trust me, AWACS, mobile radars, UAV's .....I love them all and spam them early. Intelligence is your greatest asset! In fact I'm stunned why mobile radars are not used by so many players.

But with that said, the Seas are a dark and scary place. How do you best counter this for now cost at all?

BUFFER LAND

Buffer land? Yes, land you conquer from others and surround your Homeland with. And this is why Chad reigns supreme.

Being landlocked, assuming you are decent at the game and can take the top half of Africa, Chad can quickly surround itself with entire countries of buffer land on all sides. I try and do this by day 10-12.

To get to you now, an opponent must slowly march through all that conquered territory surrounding your Homeland, ON EVERY SIDE. No more surprise attacks!

And what happens when an enemy attacks conquered territory? YOU SEE THEM! And not just a dot on a radar, not just the troop count, their entire stack composition. Health points and all. Buffer land is like a massive continent sized UAV. You can see exactly what's coming at you, plan for it, and counter strike.

The key now obviously is to Kill them before they reach your Homeland. Then retake your buffer land and continue your gameplan/ stike their homeland. But it's not a fair fight! You know where they are, what they have, and where they are going. They know nothing about you....completly in the dark!

Mix this strategy with a ton of SAMs/ TDS and you can't find a better late game security setup. Miles and miles of buffer land beats even the most complex AWCS and radar setup money can buy.

Especially if you run helicopters for the homeland defense part, but don't tell anyone my secrets ;)

And I like naval warfare, nothing against my naval guys. I just annex a city to build my ships/ and for coastal protection.

Agree? Disagree? How do you counter this coming from Europe or the Middle East for example?

Let's hear your thoughts in the chat!

Obviously this is my opinion and most of you are far better players than I am.

Cheers - Castro
      Long Live Cuba
    • Can't really argue from the general standpoint.

It's however unlikely you would be able, at least without an ally with a starting coastline, to compete in shipbuilding with a player that used navies from the start to control his area.

(And it's incredibly easy to focus and destroy a annexed coastline when they appear)

But well, those considerations are implying you are pitted against good players... Something that happens, what... one game every 30 ?

By day 20 you usually have around 120 cities , and obviously, you have a buffer anyway. Now, in general you'll have your allies to provide you with a navy focus while the Chad player, of course, will never be required to do a single ship.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Defense-in-depth is generally a good thing in real life, and I agree that some of the real life reasons for that do carry-over into CoN.

However, it's not quite as black-and-white as you make it seem.

It's definitely possible for attackers to minimize how much info they give away, by sending a fast cheap unit(s) ahead of the bulk of their attacking troops.

As the defender, what you'll see (whenever you get an alert, or log in and spot that a ground attack is underway), is a Nat Guard or other sacrificial unit racing at 1.5X normal speed into territory, ahead of the main invasion force.

However, I think the bigger topic is that Job #1 during the start of an attack on any country is winning control of the air (completely, or at least over your own troops). That's another way CoN roughly mirrors real life. In public games, so far, with a couple of rare exceptions, it's been easy for me dominate in the air (that's more of a complaint than a brag). Having to fight off a naval invasion has also been rare.

You and I would fight that air battle first, and while it's underway (if I'm not taking a beating), that's when I'll start using weak units to fan out and safely conquer territory.

A lot will depend on whether we are both online often or seldom, and whether we're online at the same time. In that regard, what I hear is that there is a world of difference between a typical public game's tempo and the tempo of typical Alliance Challenge games.

KFG
    • Flashpoint is much better map regarding overall setup and balance in game play except it is first map so it can be full of playerxxxx (the only downside IMO).

But rarely there are enough real players and fun is guaranteed in that case. Faster conflict, really important whom you choose to be your ally and even if you're map leader there is still a threat to your existence for a long time.

That been said, there are several landlocked countries like Hungary, Austria and Czech Republic for you to try. There are other interesting countries to try some with only one naval city or countries with good strategic placement.
      Nobody would play full navy not even USA & Cuba but some navy can help.

Ofc real fun is with less userxxx player.

I would like to see a Flashpoint map with lvl2 requirement (or higher lvl) as well as 4x (I don't play it but wouldn't hurt).
    • PresidentCastro wrote:

Let me start out with a bold statement:

CHAD IS THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE GAME.

You agree? Disagree? Now let me explain.

Being a land-locked nation is an incredibly underrated advantage. Why? Intelligence! It is much easier to track, trace, find, and kill enemies that are coming for you on land.

There is nothing worse than a surprise naval invasion. And trust me, AWACS, mobile radars, UAV's .....I love them all and spam them early. Intelligence is your greatest asset! In fact I'm stunned why mobile radars are not used by so many players.

But with that said, the Seas are a dark and scary place. How do you best counter this for now cost at all?

BUFFER LAND

Buffer land? Yes, land you conquer from others and surround your Homeland with. And this is why Chad reigns supreme.

Being landlocked, assuming you are decent at the game and can take the top half of Africa, Chad can quickly surround itself with entire countries of buffer land on all sides. I try and do this by day 10-12.

To get to you now, an opponent must slowly march through all that conquered territory surrounding your Homeland, ON EVERY SIDE. No more surprise attacks!

And what happens when an enemy attacks conquered territory? YOU SEE THEM! And not just a dot on a radar, not just the troop count, their entire stack composition. Health points and all. Buffer land is like a massive continent sized UAV. You can see exactly what's coming at you, plan for it, and counter strike.

The key now obviously is to Kill them before they reach your Homeland. Then retake your buffer land and continue your gameplan/ stike their homeland. But it's not a fair fight! You know where they are, what they have, and where they are going. They know nothing about you....completly in the dark!

Mix this strategy with a ton of SAMs/ TDS and you can't find a better late game security setup. Miles and miles of buffer land beats even the most complex AWCS and radar setup money can buy.

Especially if you run helicopters for the homeland defense part, but don't tell anyone my secrets ;)

And I like naval warfare, nothing against my naval guys. I just annex a city to build my ships/ and for coastal protection.

Agree? Disagree? How do you counter this coming from Europe or the Middle East for example?

Let's hear your thoughts in the chat!

Obviously this is my opinion and most of you are far better players than I am.

Cheers - Castro
      SHHHH This a big secret. Dont reveal to others.They will start taking chad too and it won't be available in late game. Right now If I join the game late and can't take big countries and have to select a 6 cities country then I usually take Chad.
      I am the best player of this game that was and ever will be
    • Chad is brilliant if you have a strong naval ally like Ethiopia, Libya or Egypt to support your units when you attack Europe or mid-east. Otherwise a smart enemy will target the sea routes (Sinai, Red sea, southern Med) of your invasion force and destroy any coastal city where you try to build your naval bases from scratch (remember at that point of the game they'll already be ahead of you in naval strength).

Can you win solo by taking all of Africa? 1890 points?
    • Tom_Cruise wrote:

Chad is brilliant if you have a strong naval ally like Ethiopia, Libya or Egypt to support your units when you attack Europe or mid-east. Otherwise a smart enemy will target the sea routes (Sinai, Red sea, southern Med) of your invasion force and destroy any coastal city where you try to build your naval bases from scratch (remember at that point of the game they'll already be ahead of you in naval strength).

I don't know, I've taken all of Africa, but not as a solo.

Africa Anon.jpg
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • PresidentCastro wrote:

this is only really true on a really really really superficial level
      - you pretty much give the other guy the initiative and unless you have a fuckton of airfields in the area where he decides to land you basically gave that dude a free beachhead, if the other dude is heavy on aircraft thats kinda yikes
      - true, people can't naval invade your homeland, but thats pretty much the only point hard to argue against... most obvious downside is you also sucking at getting navy but to be fair you can win long before needing one if you stick to europe/asia/africa
      - while you do see the shit moving on your territory, that kinda requires you to be online during that time, its also 9/10 times intel you could've gained easily by just looking at their buildings/newspaper... only exact stackcomposition would be really something you couldnt gain from that and imo thats not that big of a deal unless you both only fight melee
      - units > homeland; doesnt matter of much bufferzone you have if you're outclassed
      - "they know nothing about you" yeah uhm no, same as i said earlier... only inteladvantage it really gives you is knowing their exact stackcomposition and the obvious target that your homeland is

tldr: imo an overglorified version of "don't need any navy if you just don't have any homeland ports", it's in general a really simplified take on landlocked countries
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Tom_Cruise wrote:

Chad is brilliant if you have a strong naval ally like Ethiopia, Libya or Egypt to support your units when you attack Europe or mid-east. Otherwise a smart enemy will target the sea routes (Sinai, Red sea, southern Med) of your invasion force and destroy any coastal city where you try to build your naval bases from scratch (remember at that point of the game they'll already be ahead of you in naval strength).

I don't know, I've taken all of Africa, but not as a solo.
      Africa Anon.jpg
      its actually not enough, you'll need like about half of europe in addition iirc (like spain, france, italy, austria)
      sauce: won solo as mozambique
      I am The Baseline for opinions