Ships Losing HP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Units will take attrition damage in certain terrain - such as Jungle, Desert and Mountains.
      Units will NOT take attrition damage on the high seas and will actually HEAL in coastal waters (light blue) as well as cities (land units only).

Corvettes are not meant to engage units far offshore. Thus they are at a disadvantage in this "terrain" and get a HP negative mod.
      Of course the ship itself doesn't change structure or armor, it's just a game mechanical means to simulate this type of littoral vessel.

//Germanico
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • my naval units lost HP .. without ANY combat,
      also my air units at sea have lost HP for no reason.

I have replicated this bug.

I have submitted a ticket for this bug.

Personally I would like my units healed up please !!! [I need them for a war] and other affected will be wanting their innocent units put back to full health so they can be used.

I should not have to pay for 6000 Gold to get my navy [including a few air units] back upto 100%

can I get some help?
      Field Marshal Dan
      En Community Support | Bytro Labs
      New World Empires (CC) | Call of War (Former GO & staff trainer)
    • Corvettes dont seem to like the high seas, they are more suitable for coastal patrolling it appears
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • DxC wrote:

Corvettes will lose HP automatically if they are not in shallow water. If you turn on terrain view of map it is easy to see where the shallows are.

Your planes could have got shot by a frig etc if at war, but hard to say.
      I have not read a word anywhere about some naval units losing health at sea.... if this is the case the players MUST be informed!

my frigates, destroyers ect [and air units] have not been attacked because I have no war... they lost health seemingly at random.
      Field Marshal Dan
    • DxC wrote:

Germano has commented about it a number of times in various forum threads, including this one. At least some ships lose HP in high sea. I've experienced it myself.
      thanks DxC

I say that IMPORTANT data should be seen in infocards.

there has to be some sort of bug in effect for the air units to lose HP... there is nothing to explain that [in my case]
      I wait for my ticket reply :)
      Field Marshal Dan
    • Hi Dan,

I just checked and actually we do have a very low attrition on the high seas amounting to 1HP a day. My bad - should have known... sorry.
      So that explains your losses. This is counterbalanced by 3 HP auto-healing a day for ships in shallow waters (will be buffed to 4 in the next update).
      I am also lowering the attrition on difficult terrain to 2.5 HP/day in tomorrows update together with a bunch of other changes.

Concerning the air units: there is no air-attrition but if they are on a Carrier on the High Seas they will take damage ie. 1HP attrition.
      This is actually an important balancing tool to keep players from hiding fleets eternally out in the seas with no losses.
      I am sure you've come across the jokers in oh-so-many multiplayer games who love to move their fleets into the most distant corners without effective counter.
      If this starts happening in CON I would even opt to raise the High Seas attrition value - but let's wait and see. (As there really is no sense in this behavior in our game.)

//Germanico
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

The post was edited 1 time, last by Germanico ().

• Attrition right now is global - meaning it affects every unit the same way - no matter if on own or enemy terrain - it's purely terrain based.
      We do have plans to differentiate it further (Rangers should really not get any while other units should suffer more for example) - but it's not on the top of the list.
      The idea of attrition is to simulate wear and tear, which is a real factor in war, as well as in some cases support or prevent certain unrealistic player behavior.

//Germanico
    • thanks for the reply with infos Germanico.

Carriers being unable to hold morale of their own air units, is going to be hugely unpopular.... I already hate it :(

You have been good enough to explain why, carriers have been made unable to hold morale on high sea.

My feedback is: Make this information OBVIOUS and known to players via infocard/front end info they can read in game, otherwise we will never hear the end of complaining in chats/forum.
      Field Marshal Dan
    • FMD wrote:

You have been good enough to explain why, carriers have been made unable to hold morale on high sea.
      I personally dont agree with this reason to nerf carriers+naval air. sir... hiding/being clever with carriers is part and parcel of real modern warfare.
      Planning for long range warfare and being strategic ... sitting in the sea yes [you call this hiding] it is part of the carriers function and real world capability.

we should be allowed to plan long strategies and yes ''hide'' a carrier fleet out at sea... it is by this way that teams will later be able to function together.
      [by each team member focusing tech on specific units for their co-op task]

the current setting forces the carrier fleet to move in close to shore during a campaign .... that is not what they are designed to do at all... carriers should not have to be exposed, to the range of so many other unit types to be used.
      the optional/adjustable range is the point.[they can move]

we need to be able to base our carriers in deep water until we are safe [post invasion] to move them closer to the land we are invading. otherwise they are too exposed. and thus worthless

Carriers and naval air units [and all their tech] suddenly are alot less valuable.
      [it also devalues the subs designed to find them hiding]
      Field Marshal Dan

The post was edited 1 time, last by FMD ().

• You've got a very valid point there Dan and I tend to agree.
      Let's do the following - we turn it off tomorrow and see if we can go without the Attrition on High Seas.
      Should we get reports of some guys abusing it we should consider turning it on again or counteracting in some other "creative" way ;)

When we get the individual attrition damage in then we can give this to the transport ship for instance.

The issue with the visibility of information is also very true, but building on an existing system alas we have more important missing info which we will first integrate for the players sake.

//Germanico

The post was edited 2 times, last by Germanico ().

• Germanico is right. Ships on the high-seas suffer from "attritional damage" even aircraft carriers. If you read Admiral Sandy Woodward's book "One Hundred Days: Memoirs of the Falklands Battle Group Commander" you'll see that is a very real concern. Had the land campaign for the Falklands not completed when it did then there was a strong likelihood that the UK task force may have had to withdraw or suffer from general breakdown. As it was, planning on unit rotation to get the "knackered" ships replaced to maintain a fleet presence was a major issue.
    • all mechanical units of any type [and equipment of the infantry] suffer from various degrees of operational ware and tear.
      [did anyone say Germanico was wrong?]
      with terrain and weather being huge factors on that affect also.

whether or not incorporating that into an online game makes it more fun, was a worthwhile topic here. [op started it last year]
      Field Marshal Dan