Which infantry units to choose?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Which infantry units to choose?

Hi everyone,

I understand about using doctrines to your advantage and all but I'm really struggling with Western doctrines "favouring airborne infantry" they suck. I mean its great that they can attack using a helicopter on their initial run but by god imagine using them as your sole territory grabbing mechanism.

Anyone used them extensively? They aren't a patch on European's doctrine with Mech infantry/Anti tank/Strike Fighter combo. Not a dent!

Another question I have is do you research wide or tall? Do you focus on 3 or 4 tech trees and try to max them out or spread and have lots of low level units to chose from. I'm super regretting trying to play with airborne infantry... Did I say that they suck big time?

Cheers
    • airborne are somewhat useful in trashy terrain; that being said they’re absolutely fun to use in numbers lol tho they require high activity to really get value out of them

research wide or tall? the answer is simple: both and neither
      -you dont want to max shit; you upgrade mostly for utility/ more versatility of a unit, maxing them out „just because“ is a bad idea; a unit getting maxed out can be a result of that but should never be the goal
      example: are you really gonna max out motorized inf if all its really good for is capturing land?
      - is 3-4 units maxed out enough? unless its mrls, sams, asf and radar the answer is probably gonna be no; you should aim for an army composition that can easily deal with multiple different unit types
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • I agree with Teburu.

I tend to go as wide as possible, while keeping particular units as good as they need to be so that they do the job I want them for. I don't ever want someone showing up with better ASFs than me, for example, because otherwise mine are useless - and by extension so are all of the rest of my air units.

My general take on it is that the wider the range of units I have at my disposal, the more easily I can adapt to or improvise in a given situation. I like having a few Airborne Infantry, because you can suddenly grab loads of territory really quickly and catch people off guard. But would I rely on them as my only infantry? God no. They take about 40 years to move anywhere on the ground! Presumably they're dragging their helicopters with them over land, or something.
    • Usually to just go Nat guard /basic inf as take out most units via air/navy. NG cheap resource and fast builds great for holding cities behind front till > 33 pct.

basic inf you already start with a lot and just focus on keeping fully researched. By level 6 you basically get dozens of rocket launcher units for free as have 20 mile attack radius and pack a decent punch.. which is huge to get first shot in with no damage
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • If you play alone you should play quite some wide, if you play with friends you can focus on tall if everyone picks up a different role

Motorized Infantry = good to burn excess supply if you do not level them higher than L3, good to rush sleepy enemies in acopalypse maps if you maxed them to gaining mortars
      Mechanized = If you want to play overrun tactics with tanks
      Marines = if you play navy and want to disembark on unexpected positions
      Air borne = if you are very active, have air superiority and don't want to waste to much time on conquering
      Specs = either to scout troop composition or to massacre aircrafts on the ground from careless players
      NG = meat shield, seem cheap, but are quite expensive for the combat stats they give, even more in regards of upkeep, good if you need quick some troops to keep the enemie occupied, but bad for your economy if you massproduce them
    • Kalrakh wrote:

NG = meat shield, seem cheap, but are quite expensive for the combat stats they give, even more in regards of upkeep, good if you need quick some troops to keep the enemie occupied, but bad for your economy if you massproduce them
      Thats because NG not meant for combat. Meant to defend cities. the 50 pct def boost combined with -25 pct entrenchment bonus on damage. A big stack of NG can hold off quite a lot if you max research them.

I utilize them as second line troops once get cooking. Main Arm /Inf stacks take front line cities and let NGs sit on second line cities till clear insurgents.

The Big thing is no matter what inf you choose; make sure you use them as intended. Ive seen guys try to defend cities with airborn or spec forces and a NG unit better.

Plus early on game I can cook 2.5 units to 1 Inf. This gives numbers advantage to swarm through Prov territory.

One game I had coal partner try to turn on me as he was a hug armor stacker and outside my planes had like 100 NG units. Was on Euro map he was france and I was syria and he tried to mutiny in eastern europe. He figured he would smash my NGs. One problem he was so slow and couldnt fly his troops. so I cut him off on med sea blocking prts with ships. abandoned all my area in Hungary area and flew 1 NG unit to every one of his homeland and occupied cities using his own airbase in paris ;) coal countown hit and I took like 33 uof his cities at once. He didnt even try to do anything as he realized his 3 huge armor stacks (with only 1 Inf) could only do damage to 3 cities and he had no capability to get to me across med nor fly back to defend his country.

Speed and numbers can overwhelm brute force stackers.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp

The post was edited 2 times, last by The Pale Rider ().