CITY OF LIGHTS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Zemunelo wrote:

It would be much better if we actually have supply in game. Like supply truck, ship or plane would automatically deliver supply that units already use. If it fail to deliver you can send another but you spend resources. And if eventually you fail to supply units, those units next day will fight with penalty. Eg. - 10% to stats. Or start losing hp. In 3 or 4 days, they die without supply.
      Trucks would need nearest friendly city and friendly territory connected to unit, ships need port and friendly territory and planes could send supply everywhere without connection.
      Something like this. Even those supply units could be in research tree and we could build them as well. But they are just numbers in storage (like missiles).

It would add more depth to strategy and tactic and players would loose more resources and units meaning CON would earn more from needed gold.

Btw it is more realistic as well. You can't send your solders in RL without supplying them. If they don't have weapons, ammo, food or oil for vehicles, they die or disband.
      And they leave everything behind (like in Avganistan :D ).

I know, I know, they inherit code from CoW. But it should be possible to do it.
      Excuse me, but F**K THAT! I want to play a WAR game concentrating on WAR, not Logistics.
      No you don't. You actually want to steam roll your opponents with "the best combo" and with little effort.
      And if supply is automatic then you can still concentrate on war. Right?
      Just don't forget to protect your flanks. This is part of war. It's missing here.
    • Hmm... Z map. Yes, i thinking that too.

z map ver 'hive city'; when z units has attacking into 'x city' (them city has light has on mode (before attack), but later... (after attack) z units has started build hive into x city, after that x city light has turn off mode.
      Until human army has liberated x city from z units, after that x city has putting lights on mode. After city liberating.
      Guns are always loaded.
    • I all agree with you, because i love to have to play with new systems, but i think it's not hard to agree that it doesn't work for a game that wants to keep a casual player base :D

Supplies were attempted in beta at some points, and do any of you remember ATTRITION that damaged your units if you left them in hard terrains for too long ? This has disappeared, the bulk of players, especially mobile, doesn't enjoy nor understand it.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Excuse me, but F**K THAT! I want to play a WAR game concentrating on WAR, not Logistics.
      This is way off topic for the original suggestion of the thread, so apologies to Kanzegrad for that.

I reckon that adding some element of logistics could make the game more fun. I've suggested this before, but a general synopsis of the idea is that all resources were to be given a physical presence on the game map. You produce resources all across your territory, but you only spend them in a fairly limited number of places - mostly your homeland cities, but also in other regions occasionally, and certainly in upkeep wherever your military units are positioned. So you'd need to have resources transported from production sites to consumption points. All of the actual resource movement could be automated, so that the player doesn't have to bother with it (tedious micro-management that doesn't appeal to most people who like CoN, including me). However, their presence on the map - in the form of transport lorries, ships, aircraft and supply depots - would make them vulnerable to attack. It would still be about WAR, but with an expanded range of strategic targets.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

As Opulon pointed out, this game is to 'casual' for this kind of micomanagement. There are other games for this kind of detailed gameplay like Hearts of Iron.
      I think there's a middle ground (or there could be, at least) between something as complicated as HOI and something more casual like CoN.

And anyway, the whole point of my suggestion is that there isn't any extra micro-management associated with it. The game knows where you produce resources and where you are spending them, and it would move things around automatically.
    • Zemunelo wrote:

No you don't. You actually want to steam roll your opponents with "the best combo" and with little effort.And if supply is automatic then you can still concentrate on war. Right?
      Just don't forget to protect your flanks. This is part of war. It's missing here.
      Absolutely WRONG.

I want to play a game.

You want to play accountant.

Sorry if I don't think book keeping and doing inventories is fun, I had to do enough of that crap in real life.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • It seems like this is the point in the discussion when everyone needs to ask themselves if they want to

1) Create inter-city connections (to boost the output of captured cities) that are vulnerable and need to be defended (this is an economic change, not a military logistics element)

or

2) Create a currently-undefined support-the-front-line-combat-troops logistics element that would need to be defended.

Done well, either or both could be good for the fun of the game.

However, for both possible changes, don't forget how hard it is to simultaneously get a good night's sleep AND keep raiders from rampaging past your frontline troops.

KFG

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• KFGauss wrote:

It seems like this is the point in the discussion when everyone needs to ask themselves if they want to

1) Create inter-city connections (to boost the output of captured cities) that are vulnerable and need to be defended (this is an economic change, not a military logistics element)

or

2) Create a currently-undefined support-the-front-line-combat-troops logistics element that would need to be defended.

Done well, either or both could be good for the fun of the game.

However, for both possible changes, don't forget how hard it is to simultaneously get a good night's sleep AND keep raiders from rampaging past your frontline troops.

KFG
      OR 3.) Leave it the F**K alone and stop trying to ruin the game I love.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Leave it the F**K alone
      Yeah, you're probably right. This type of gameplay is probably not what CoN players are after.

But I would be interested in playing a CoN-like game where this sort of stuff was included. Does anyone know of one?

(or should I just learn to programme so that I can make my own CoN clone that includes all of my amazing ideas? No, is the answer to that.)
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

OR 3.) Leave it the F**K alone and stop trying to ruin the game I love.
      I agree, there is a third option.

Adding a little more complexity (not more tedious bookkeeping) poorly would be a mistake and would increase player retention problems.

KFG

PS: Does Dorado really care much about the opinions of the dozen or so people who post messages here? We probably interest them a little, but I doubt whether even 100% agreement here is more important than several other influences.
    • KFGauss wrote:

KFG

PS: Does Dorado really care much about the opinions of the dozen or so people who post messages here? We probably interest them a little, but I doubt whether even 100% agreement here is more important than several other influences.
      They got on it pretty quick when I pointed out how unfair it was for mobile players but not PC players being able to use Ballistic Missiles on ship stacks sitting on a ocean center point. So ...
      The KING of CoN News!!!