Day 1 guide

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• playbabe wrote:

classic, stats shaming when you can't argue.
      I have more posts than you; therefore, I'd make a better fence. Take that! ;)
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Don't check mine either, or, ... um, ... or, this winter, ice weasels may sneak into your house at night and nibble on your genitalia.

I can't be held responsible.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• KFGauss wrote:

I have a 100% win rate and a high K/D (In EASY public games, and in coalitions with friends in WW3 games) - That means I'm the greatest of all time and that my opinions are the best??? - Good to know.
      No, my opinions are "point"edly better.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Teburu wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

I have a 100% win rate and a high K/D (In EASY public games, and in coalitions with friends in WW3 games) - That means I'm the greatest of all time and that my opinions are the best??? - Good to know.
      Only if you agree with me
      :) I'll give you Mondays, Wednesdays, Friday, and Sundays if I can have Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

PS: I can imagine a 500HP Doom Stack rolling through capitols is pretty effective in most public games.

I can also imagine that if I, or I and allies, were playing in one of those games, we would tee up some air strikes and/or missile strikes as soon as we noticed the very public pattern the doom stack creates. The defending AAs would take a toll, but the result would probably be a turkey shoot that would convert the doom stack (and the cities that produce replacements for it) into rubble. This result isn't guaranteed, but I like my/our chances.

As I write this I'm keeping in mind that I'm always astonished by opponents that don't build a bunch of ASF and other AA units because they totally fail to notice (in the CoN News reports) (or at least fail to act on knowing) that I like to rely heavily on air power.

Consequently I tell people that air power generally works very well in typical public games, and I tell them that one reason for that is that intelligently using air power often translates into not losing any units during combat.

However, I do not tell them that depending on the cluelessness of opponents means that I or anyone has figured out an excellent playing-style, except in the limited sense of that style being a good match for what typical public opponents have in their armies.

My usual playing style is simply a correct match for the goal that I have chosen (win often and win quickly in public games).

There are other goals for which my playing style (and the OP's - In my opinion) sucks.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• Don't check mine cause:
      1. I use to be one of those quit by day 3...
      2. The account it shows for game name is my alt account, I use this to look at updates. (And I lost the pword to my og account)
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • japan samurai wrote:

Telerik wrote:

Day 30/31 you only have lvl 2 SAM??? What kind of low end units is that? You should have at least a lvl 3-4

Hello , in addition to 6 SAMs i do have also 7 Mobil Anti Air they have 5 attack(soon 6) vs planes .My season tanks have 6,5 defense probably over 10 each when in stack with bonusses . Until day 30 usual opponents do not have so many bombers .
      In my defense keep in mind my two army bases at lv5 produced all 10 Elite Season tanks and are now building SAM and Theater Def, easy can switch into MRLs if i decided to use any artillery .
      Lv2 SAM is the minimum and enough first weeks . What i am afraid of is helicopters but they have lower range and no enemy can reach/bomb my capital .Special forces is what i am most afraid off btw ,as i am not familiar how sneaky they can be .
      My point of writing here is to show is possible to fully ignore air+navy+arty units(saving days build+research+ressource) and still be highly successful .

The post was edited 1 time, last by CandyCzar ().

• My (rough) Day 1 guide would be this:

1) research National Guard
      2) build Recruitment Offices
      3) mobilize National Guard (keep doing this in any city that isn't mobilizing something else, as long as you have manpower to sustain it)

4) Research Air Superiority Fighter
      5) Build Arms Industry in capital city (plus in Rare Material-producing city, if not the same one)
      6) mobilize ASF in capital when Arms Ind. is finished

10 ) Buy as much Rare Material from the resource market as you can afford, while still leaving yourself enough money for the rest of your Day 1 stuff
      9) Research something else - could be artillery, could be helicopter gunships if you're Eastern doctrine, could be recon vehicles. OR: keep enough Rare Material in reserve for researching Strike Fighters/Navy on Day 2
      (If researching artillery, make sure to build an Arms Industry in at least one other city than your capital, and start building a level 2 Army Base ASAP afterwards; if doing Recons, build a couple of Army Bases and mobilize Recons there instead of National Guard; if doing Gunships, think about whether you need to build any additional airbases/airstrips to cover territory where you're planning to attack - but that could wait til Day 2, tbh)

10) Check your neighbours to see which ones are actually building stuff. Prepare to attack one that isn't. If you've got the choice, go for the one that you can finish off most quickly, or has resources that you most urgently need closest to your border.
      11) Perhaps build Bunkers in cities you consider to be vulnerable early on.

12) Check in on the game fairly regularly in case some bastard attacks you.
    • Telerik wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

Telerik wrote:

Day 30/31 you only have lvl 2 SAM??? What kind of low end units is that? You should have at least a lvl 3-4

Hello , in addition to 6 SAMs i do have also 7 Mobil Anti Air they have 5 attack(soon 6) vs planes .My season tanks have 6,5 defense probably over 10 each when in stack with bonusses . Until day 30 usual opponents do not have so many bombers .
      In my defense keep in mind my two army bases at lv5 produced all 10 Elite Season tanks and are now building SAM and Theater Def, easy can switch into MRLs if i decided to use any artillery .
      Lv2 SAM is the minimum and enough first weeks . What i am afraid of is helicopters but they have lower range and no enemy can reach/bomb my capital .Special forces is what i am most afraid off btw ,as i am not familiar how sneaky they can be .
      My point of writing here is to show is possible to fully ignore air+navy+arty units(saving days build+research+ressource) and still be highly successful .

Oh by what?
      By WHAT? By day 30 my friend playing 4x as RUSSIA CAN RUN YOU OVER WITH 45 SFs (9 stacks of 5 planes)) in you’re face. Even if you have SAMs his SFs will prevail and decimate you’re airforce/air defence. Anyone’s air defence to put in serious terms. Sure it may not he great trade for him but he will utterly run you over

Lets put it bluntly, any pro player using SF strat will get atk choppers by day 25. Reason? Because they’re gonna need them to counter SAMs, so you’re hope of no helis by day 25 gone unless you’re enemies just suck which has very high chance.

Don’t bother bragging you have MAA, MAA is thrash AF, expensive and uselessly horrendous at attacking anything, its only useful to work as a meat shield and even then, an MBT would work much better at being a meat shield than the MAA. Sure EU MAA can be somewhat dangerous to helis at max lvl, but thats a lot of good resource spent into that useless piece of crap.
      Why would I need to bomb you’re capital? Whats the purpose, its not going to do anything unless I defeat you’re army /annihilate it.

6-5 defence from you’re Elite MBTs will be no doubt annoying to my 45 SFs and ASF officer, but all I can do is keep striking them, use my Tarty to hit them once in a while and run, and just rotate my units in the airforce.
      I also have a couple of TDs in the unit stack so they would help to deal with you’re units.
    • Telerik wrote:

My point of writing here is to show is possible to fully ignore air+navy+arty units(saving days build+research+resource)
      ROTFLMAO this ignorance actually cost you a lot, rather than saving anything.

Your units are woefully inefficient. Let us see, first of all, the base ATK generation rate (i.e. firepower available per day when using all resources produced at base rate).
      These are, against infantry, 6.5 ATK/day for MBT (which goes down to 4.9 ATK/day on urban terrain), 7.4 ATK/day for Elite MBT; 12.2 ATK/day for GS heli, and 5.4 ATK/day for strikers. Considering the slowness of armored, versus the quickness of aircraft, the latter can kill many times more enemies before the ground stack would even reach them. On top of this there is healing advantage for the aircraft.

Then ofc there is arty, which you dismisssed too. Lv1 MRL yields 5.1 ATK/day base generation rate, i.e. slightly less than MBT (in non-urban areas, that is). It kills from a distance, however,
      so it needs no healing at all - unlike the melee units you prefer.
      Commander Zozo001 :thumbsup:
      humble player

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zozo001 ().

• On a day 30 a 5 city county could easily have 10+ squadrons of 4+1 (SF+ASF) and probably at least 1 helicopter squadron to deal with SAM if every SAM is stacked.
      All maxed ofc. With lvl 5 hospital.
      But the key is if that player is successful in expansion. Approximately 3 new cities per day.

Those numbers of planes and helicopters are terrified and very hard to defend if you don't have a lot of ASF and SAM.
      6 SAM is a joke. You don't have your fancy "doom stack" or any production building in your cities anymore with 6 SAM.

Ofc a smart player wouldn't neglect AA, missiles and some TD as well even if he is air focused. Or arty at that point.

Also a player who is air focused would attack you way sooner than day 30.

But hey, believe what you want, even that you can neglect arty and air completely.
    • Zemunelo wrote:

On a day 30 a 5 city county could easily have 10+ squadrons of 4+1 (SF+ASF) and probably at least 1 helicopter squadron to deal with SAM if every SAM is stacked.
      All maxed ofc. With lvl 5 hospital.
      But the key is if that player is successful in expansion. Approximately 3 new cities per day.

Those numbers of planes and helicopters are terrified and very hard to defend if you don't have a lot of ASF and SAM.
      6 SAM is a joke. You don't have your fancy "doom stack" or any production building in your cities anymore with 6 SAM.

Ofc a smart player wouldn't neglect AA, missiles and some TD as well even if he is air focused. Or arty at that point.

Also a player who is air focused would attack you way sooner than day 30.

But hey, believe what you want, even that you can neglect arty and air completely.

Many air players would indeed say that by day 30 the game is finished and it has been a week since the last active player is dead
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Here's my tip for your first game of Overkill:

Don't pick Sudan.
      ERehyDAErLA
      "Yes, Indiana should gain its independence. We shall invade Illinois. They aren't looking too good right now." - Anonymous
      "Say Wyoming doesn't exist, and we will blow Yellowstone in your face." - Drew Durnil
      "If you live in Whiting, like me, you're just asking to get your car stolen." - ERehyDAErLA
    • "It's not the country's fault you lost... it's the commander." - Me
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris