Day 1 guide

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New

Opulon wrote:

Zemunelo wrote:

On a day 30 a 5 city county could easily have 10+ squadrons of 4+1 (SF+ASF) and probably at least 1 helicopter squadron to deal with SAM if every SAM is stacked.
      All maxed ofc. With lvl 5 hospital.
      But the key is if that player is successful in expansion. Approximately 3 new cities per day.

Those numbers of planes and helicopters are terrified and very hard to defend if you don't have a lot of ASF and SAM.
      6 SAM is a joke. You don't have your fancy "doom stack" or any production building in your cities anymore with 6 SAM.

Ofc a smart player wouldn't neglect AA, missiles and some TD as well even if he is air focused. Or arty at that point.

Also a player who is air focused would attack you way sooner than day 30.

But hey, believe what you want, even that you can neglect arty and air completely.
      Many air players would indeed say that by day 30 the game is finished and it has been a week since the last active player is dead
      Totally agree. But there's a chance on a big map like WW3 that active enemies are far away and you have to engage in a late game conflict. Even if you expand in that direction it may be too far for mid game conflict. Sure you can farm AI to finish the game but where's the fun in that.
    • New

Zemunelo wrote:

Opulon wrote:

Many air players would indeed say that by day 30 the game is finished and it has been a week since the last active player is dead
      Totally agree. But there's a chance on a big map like WW3 that active enemies are far away and you have to engage in a late game conflict. Even if you expand in that direction it may be too far for mid game conflict. Sure you can farm AI to finish the game but where's the fun in that.
      Your last sentence contains two separate topics that should not be mistaken for one single topic.

One topic is winning the game.
      The other topic is having fun.

They often overlap, but they definitely aren't the same thing.

I think that @Opulon was writing about wining.
    • New

KFGauss wrote:

Your last sentence contains two separate topics that should not be mistaken for one single topic.

Good grief. What's the point in playing any game if you don't have fun in the process? Does anyone actually do that?
    • New

WalterChang wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Good grief. What's the point in playing any game if you don't have fun in the process? Does anyone actually do that?
      Good grief - What's the point of writing something if readers are going to ignore it.

I wrote that winning and fun OFTEN OVERLAP, but they definitely aren't the same thing.

Some players have fun by screwing around, fighting endless skirmishes with opponents/friends, and doing other stuff - None of which is intended to "win. They avoid winning, because if anyone won, then they would have to start over in a new game doing the boring research etc. necessary to develop the cool units they like. You might remember that the CrimsonCommander guy (I dunno what he calls himself now) was one of these.

Similarly some players play to win, but they don't play to win as quickly as they might. Instead, they think that a win is more "fun" if it's done/achieved using a bunch of different types of advanced units instead of a handful of lower-tech level unit-types.

And other players like to speed-run to win as fast as possible by using whatever units can help them absorb live opponents and abandoned positions as quickly as they can; and for some of these players a typical game might not be much fun (the fun ones are atypical).

The bottom line on all of this is that people constantly talk (write) past each other, or drag conversations off on tangents because the people writing posts mistakenly think that their idea of how to play is the way that every other player thinks.

That was my point.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().