New Unit: Micro UAV

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Unit: Micro UAV

Simple concept Micro UAV unit, similar to my UCAV suggestion from a few months ago but as recon instead
      Stats are as follows:

T1
      Cost: 10 DGears
      Missile:
      -200 range
      -Cannot be controlled once fired (due to limited fuel)
      HP: 1
      Speed: 3
      No sight range
      Radar signature: Fixed Wing (Low)
      Can be deployed by the following units:
      -Mechanized Infantry
      -Special Forces
      -Combat Recon Vehicle
      -Towed Artillery
      -Infantry Officer
      -Corvette
      Can target province centers and enemy units. Upon impact or destruction, reveals all land units within a range of 25. Revealed units persist as if they were revealed by espionage

T2
      Cost: 25 DGears
      Missile:
      -300 range
      -Cannot be controlled once fired (due to limited fuel)
      HP: 3
      Speed: 5
      No sight range
      Stealth
      Can be deployed by the following units:
      -Mechanized Infantry
      -Special Forces
      -Combat Recon Vehicle
      -Towed Artillery
      -Infantry Officer
      -Corvette
      Can target province centers and enemy units. Upon impact or destruction, reveals all land and sea units (not submarines) within a range of 50. Revealed unit data persist as if they were revealed by espionage.

I don’t have a list of models, but there are numerous designs (RQ-14, FQM-151, ZALA 421 etc)

Purpose: This unit would be a supplementary reconnaissance ability for units such as infantry and corvettes to scout ahead. For example, you could use a MUAV to quickly check if a city is clear before moving infantry in, or use it to identify a target for MRL.

Potential issues: This unit is similar in function to full size UAVs already in game. While it offers some variety (being rapidly deployable at an extra cost) it could make the UAV obsolete, or be useless in comparison to UAV depending how it is balanced
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

Can target province centers and enemy units. Upon impact or destruction, reveals all land units within a range of 25. Revealed units persist as if they were revealed by espionage
      so you can't even stop it from scouting? :D
      that seems kinda meh
      tho I suppose that's the tradeoff for requiring gear to use

not really sure if we'd really need a suicide scout unit tho? in a way it'd be in an even worse position than the ugv; single-use, requires gears, need to (probably) upgrade inf to even get the option to launch
      it's a lot of extra investment for what basically is just a drone but not reusable

I like the idea in theory, but I'm hard-pressed to find a situation where it would actually make sense to pick
      The fact that it keeps a unit spotted maybe? but that aspect seems much broken in its own way (and couldn't you just counter the intel reveal by changing the stack composition?)
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • I'm not sure I'd use it, as described. It's expensive. Perhaps if/when there are more uses for deployable gears introduced to the game, it might become the norm to just build DGs as a standard part of your armoury - then you might use some of them up for this. But I wouldn't build the DGs specifically for it.

Colonel Waffles wrote:

Also, active players could render it pretty useless. You see it coming over your territory (it's not Stealth, is it?), so you move your units outside of a 25 radius from the city, and then the Micro UAV sees nothing. After it's spent, you move your units back in.