Acceptable use of gold

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Acceptable use of gold

      If a player wants to win by spending their money then I guess that's up to them (and thanks for funding Dorado :) ).

      For the rest of us though would you ever use the gold that you got from winning games? Is there anything that you would spend it on and still be able to respect yourself in the morning?
      " 'Peace?' said Vetinari. 'Ah, yes, defined as a period of time to allow for preparation for the next war.' " Sir Terry Pratchett
    • Yes, why wouldn't I?
      Though frankly the amount of gold gained from winning isn't enough to impact the game in any fashion, even if you save up gold for some time it's simply doesn't even begin to compare to the amounts you can buy it in.
      For example: With about 10k gold you can at best do like what? Buy resources for gold 4 times, or maybe speed up a timer like 5 times? Or use a Gold Agent 3-4 times?
      And now imagine you don't buy it, but only save up gold from games... you'll spend a pretty significant amount of time before you even get close to 10k Gold (that is assuming about 1k gold or so per game on average, game modes with victory sites can give a bit more gold ofc but that's frankly not the point). Outside of some pretty specific circumstances/theoretical scenarios, the impact that these 10k will have on a game probably doesn't even show up on a 1-10 scale. If I had to guess, I'd put the "actually starts to have a noticeable impact" value for Gold at about 20-30k? Maybe even more cuz if you use gold to 1. get resources 2. start and speed up the research 3. speed up the required buildings for the unit
      and 4. speeding up the unit's mobilization (that's not even including resources for steps 3. and 4.) then you're already easily within that 20-30k range... and that is only for one unit type

      Asking if "you're still able to respect yourself in the morning" kinda implies that you think that the gold earned through games somehow manages to give one side some sort of unethical/dishonorable/whateveryouwanttocallit advantage, but frankly in public games, the disparity in skill level between players can be so massive that such low amounts of gold simply don't even make a blip on the metaphorical radar (for example if you put that guy using gold from games he won up against Opulon, DoD or even Playbabe... I wouldn't place my bets on the guy with almost no gold)

      TLDR: just git gud
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Sometimes I speed up a research timer or building timer, if I messed up, because I was to distracted by other stuff or fell asleep to early

      After all the 'purpose' of gold is to compensate for the lack of time.
      Somebody who can play 16/7 has a huge advantage over somebody who has troubles playing 6/7.
      But while the time you can invest into a game per day is limited, gold is not.

      otherwise only if I face a real golder
    • Acceptable use of gold
      Missed click on those "CONveniently" placed gold use button.


      on serious note, 100% agree with teb
      but the best way to use gold without getting feels unfair by enemy is... using it so subtle that enemy don't know you do.
      but honestly it kinda hard since people in pub like to assumed the worst.


      like bro. you see that dude instaly annexed city and spam out cruisers? but you calling me gold because I killed your infs with SF?
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • While during my first game, I got and spent gold liberally (I was under the assumption everyone would be) I have curtailed uses of gold as much as possible (sometimes, you just get pissed off over waiting for resources) to increase my resource management skills, and now try to save it for WWZ games, because I play those just to have fun, not necessarily win.

      And I suffer no insomnia from using won gold.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way


      "Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

      While during my first game, I got and spent gold liberally (I was under the assumption everyone would be) I have curtailed uses of gold as much as possible (sometimes, you just get pissed off over waiting for resources) to increase my resource management skills, and now try to save it for WWZ games, because I play those just to have fun, not necessarily win.

      And I suffer no insomnia from using won gold.
      suffering insomnia implies you still need to sleep
      checkmate
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

      Dealer of Death wrote:

      While during my first game, I got and spent gold liberally (I was under the assumption everyone would be) I have curtailed uses of gold as much as possible (sometimes, you just get pissed off over waiting for resources) to increase my resource management skills, and now try to save it for WWZ games, because I play those just to have fun, not necessarily win.

      And I suffer no insomnia from using won gold.
      suffering insomnia implies you still need to sleepcheckmate
      OK, I don't know if I am having a mental block about understanding that, or you are being obtuse, so ...

      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way


      "Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

      Teburu wrote:

      Dealer of Death wrote:

      While during my first game, I got and spent gold liberally (I was under the assumption everyone would be) I have curtailed uses of gold as much as possible (sometimes, you just get pissed off over waiting for resources) to increase my resource management skills, and now try to save it for WWZ games, because I play those just to have fun, not necessarily win.

      And I suffer no insomnia from using won gold.
      suffering insomnia implies you still need to sleepcheckmate
      OK, I don't know if I am having a mental block about understanding that, or you are being obtuse, so ...

      transcending the need for sleep —> can’t have a sleeping disorder if you don’t require sleep
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • What about an insane amount of gold. I'm talking about hundreds of thousands of gold in just 10days!!

      Game: 4256904
      Day: 13

      Venezuela is spending gold like I have never seen before.

      In 10 days he built (I counted) 39 airports. 1 in ever single city he captured. Plus 39 army bases, 39 hospitals, 39 recruiting centers, and 39 arms industries. 1 of each in every city. And several are upgraded all the way up to level 5.

      All in 10 days.

      He had nukes by day 6 or 7 (although I don't think he used them yet).

      Why would anyone spend so much gold like this. Does he have am unlimited gold glitch? Is it Elon Musk?

      Hacking?
      Long Live Cuba
    • playbabe wrote:

      Acceptable use of gold
      Missed click on those "CONveniently" placed gold use button.


      on serious note, 100% agree with teb
      but the best way to use gold without getting feels unfair by enemy is... using it so subtle that enemy don't know you do.
      but honestly it kinda hard since people in pub like to assumed the worst.


      like bro. you see that dude instaly annexed city and spam out cruisers? but you calling me gold because I killed your infs with SF?
      At least, on a philosophical standpoint, i could argue that if my opponent uses gold in relatively low amounts so that it is impossible to detect, it means that he is not in the flock of people that are labelled as Pay2win, and thus, it's unlikely we will ever complain about them.

      However, i disagree that people assume the worst, it's that they lack any understanding as a rule of thumb. I tend to make this metaphor : When they hear thunder, they immediatly think the gods are angry. They don't say to themselves that a natural phenomena may be at work.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • To me I always start in a small strategic country and until get my empire growing I am at a distinct disadvantage. So as part of CoN "entertainment fee" Ill use my gold saved from prev win and usually buy a $5 pack to even playing field on resources.

      Late in game rarely buy gold as dont need it. One match I bought gold when incoming ICBM Nuke. Which in retrospect wasnt worth it.

      But I rather enjoy making money for CoN as high gold spenders are usually not great players. They buy the toys but dont know how to properly use them and when steam rolling other newbs they get over confident.

      One kid on a WW3 game must have stolen moms CC as he was steam rolling Europe out of Ukraine and was Annexing every captured city (which takes days worth of resources and he was doing like 6 a day). I was leading Asian Coalition out of Myanmar. Squared off with this guy in the med and we had like a 5 day land/air/sea battle and I think I maxed out his Moms CC.

      Only time didn't beat a gold spender was similar scenario on mid east map but this guy was just auto healing every unit when I was chipping away at him. If someone willing to auto heal huge stacks non stop you can not beat that.
    • Sometimes they accuse you of golding, just because you play better and don't waste your resources like they do, for sure. :D

      Opulon wrote:

      playbabe wrote:

      Acceptable use of gold
      Missed click on those "CONveniently" placed gold use button.


      on serious note, 100% agree with teb
      but the best way to use gold without getting feels unfair by enemy is... using it so subtle that enemy don't know you do.
      but honestly it kinda hard since people in pub like to assumed the worst.


      like bro. you see that dude instaly annexed city and spam out cruisers? but you calling me gold because I killed your infs with SF?
      At least, on a philosophical standpoint, i could argue that if my opponent uses gold in relatively low amounts so that it is impossible to detect, it means that he is not in the flock of people that are labelled as Pay2win, and thus, it's unlikely we will ever complain about them.
      However, i disagree that people assume the worst, it's that they lack any understanding as a rule of thumb. I tend to make this metaphor : When they hear thunder, they immediatly think the gods are angry. They don't say to themselves that a natural phenomena may be at work.
    • Because 99% of those topics try to explain how the game should basically become a Christian Goodwill Association.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.