How the heck does cruiser AA work

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How the heck does cruiser AA work

I am a bit lost on how Anti-Air works on Cruisers. Today I tried attacking 5 Cruisers (lvl 5) with 5 Naval Patrol (lvl 4).

The cruisers had around 313 HP (75HP * 5 but they were not at full health). My Naval Patrol had 110 HP (22HP * 5).
      The cruisers had 17.3 defense against aircraft.
      My Naval Patrol has speed 8.50.

The end result? I was left with 2 Naval Patrol limping away at 29.3 HP. That was almost 81HP damage! How? It would mean the Cruisers defended almost 5 times.
      I read this: wiki.conflictnations.com/Comba…ir_vs_Missiles.2FAircraft but I can't figure out how could he do that amount of damage. His AA hit me once on the way in, I guess he hit me once when I attacked him and then once on my way out. But that would only be 51.9 damage (17.3 * 3), not even close to 81.

I did hit with other stacks too, does it do AoE damage everytime it defends??
    • playbabe wrote:

you not gonna let us know the full details?
      when does the AA triggered? before or after you hit them?
      Well, I did say that "His AA hit me once on the way in, I guess he hit me once when I attacked him and then once on my way out".
      That's what I saw at least, his AA triggered as I was going in, I took more damage when I actually hit him and then the most lethal blow was when my NPA were leaving. I counted three times he dealt damage. There were no other units in range, I scanned the area thoroughly before going in.
    • Ah sorry i missed that
      i can explain why u deal so low damage on him
      it’s because that for air-surface combat tick. the aircraft will received surface’s defense damage then recalculate the aircraft left over HP to new strength. this is why when missiles got shoot down. it’ll deals no damage.

for you getting ridiculous damage back, i would say that RNG hate you.
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • dmg is rng tho; you will almost never deal the 17.3 dmg… rather that is more of an average value
      so dmg output can be significantly higher or lower

does 81 dmg sound sus when the average is 51ish? kinda
      easy answer would be that its just the rng being extreme and frankly more often than not the most simple answer is the right one
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Ohhh, so it's actually a random range? So far the damage values seemed quite precise and I thought it's always the same.
      Although a few days ago I hit a full HP Corvette (10 HP) with a Naval Patrol (full HP and power) and I only dealt like 1.3 damage. I thought it was weird, but thought it may be a bug or something and let it slide.

Thanks for the explanations, random ranges make more sense although it would be more intuitive if the game stats were represented as a range (like 40-70 damage) rather than a fixed value.

Is there any formula for what the min-max range could be?
    • I would like to introduce you to

bomber, stats say 10 damage to building, it do 8-12 all the time. then that once time it do 60
      max lv ICBM, stats say it do 90 damage to building. then that once time it proceeded to done over total of 600 building damage to my city.
      bruh
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • playbabe wrote:

I would like to introduce you to

bomber, stats say 10 damage to building, it do 8-12 all the time. then that once time it do 60
      max lv ICBM, stats say it do 90 damage to building. then that once time it proceeded to done over total of 600 building damage to my city.
      bruh
      Are you serious? Are the ranges really this insane? So does this mean that every once in a while you can one-shot 3 tanks with an infantry unit?
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Combat stats represent the statistical average in damage :)

Using patrol reduces the risk of getting caught by AA and also it helps to figure out the AA times upfront
      Yeah, but the dispersion is also important. You can get an average value of 50 from a range of 49 to 51 as well as from a range of 0 to 100.

What do you mean by using patrol? I was patrolling just outside his AA range, but I couldn't get any info about his AA cool-down. If my patrol circle overlaps his AA range, won't I get attacked?

Thanks for your answers, guys.
    • TalibanSloth wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

Combat stats represent the statistical average in damage :)

Using patrol reduces the risk of getting caught by AA and also it helps to figure out the AA times upfront
      Yeah, but the dispersion is also important. You can get an average value of 50 from a range of 49 to 51 as well as from a range of 0 to 100.
      What do you mean by using patrol? I was patrolling just outside his AA range, but I couldn't get any info about his AA cool-down. If my patrol circle overlaps his AA range, won't I get attacked?

Thanks for your answers, guys.
      But ony get hit once.. instead of 3 times
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Kalrakh wrote:

AA only triggers for an instant, the other stuff is just animation. So it goes immediately into reload.
      K - Thanks

I think I understand what you meant, and I want to be sure that I do.

For both questions below, I believe that the attackers and AA will fight when the attackers reach the AA (point defense?), however my questions are about what will happen while the attackers are still traveling toward the AA or another target. I'm not asking about what happens when the attackers reach their target(s).

1) If two inbound attackers are in the AA's range approaching the AA from different directions when that trigger occurs, only one attacker gets hit, or both attackers get hit?

2) If two separate attackers are inbound and are approaching an AA from different directions, the first attacker is in the AA range when the trigger occurs, and the second attacker is in the AA range 10-20 seconds after the trigger occurs, does only the first get hit, or do both get hit.

KFG
    • Kalrakh wrote:

. . .

If a AA unit is forced to defend a allied unit or city, it only targets one though
      . . .
      Thanks K

Also - That's interesting - The AA unit knows what/where my attacking air units are going to attack?

In other words,
      • If two of my jets (#1 and #2) are inside the AA unit's range, and
        • Jet #1 is going to attack an MBT inside the AA unit's range (arriving in one minute), and
        • Jet #2 is flying to attack a far-away city (arriving in 15 minutes) that is far outside the AA unit's range;
        • Then only Jet #1 will be hit by the AA when the AA "triggers", because the AA unit is defending the MBT?

I'm ignoring that Jet #2 might get hit later, during one of the next "triggers".

Correct?
    • Teburu wrote:

Hydralysk wrote:

What can I do to get the SAM to fire as soon as any bogey is detected?
      nothing
      in general there are 3 "modes" which AA works in

offensive AA tick
      AA checks and shoots offensivly at a set time; this time is different each game and happens in intervals of 10 minutes
      e.g: AA checks are 15:02; then the next offensive AA tick would be 15:12 and then the next 15:22 and so on.... it doesnt matter where the aircraft is as long as its in range it will be hit (in fact ALL aircraft in range will be hit)

ranged AA defense
      outside of these set times AA can trigger if you attack something inside their range (even stealthaircraft can't avoide triggering the ranged defense); when ranged defense is triggered as many AA stacks as necessary to kill the offending unit will fire

pointdefense
      pretty much the big "fuck you too" card AA has1; pointdefense is basically when you hit a unit, before you deal dmg the defending side hits first2; this tends to fuck over missiles in particular as it makes them utterly useless the second they don't posess enough HP to get past a units pointdefense value; pointdefense has no cooldown btw

every time AA is triggered it goes on a 10 minute cooldown, keep in mind tho that pointdefense is no subject to this cooldown
      how does this interact with the 10 minute AA tick? simply put: if you know the AA tick you can basically force a about 20 minute period where your aircraft are free to move within aa range
      e.g: AA tick is 15:02; you attack something in AA range (or the AA itself but wtf why would you) at 15:03 to trigger the cooldown --> the for 15:12 scheduled tick doesn't happen happen cuz its on cooldown; the cooldown ends on 15:13 and next tick is at 15:22 (keep in mind tho that ranged AA def is still a thing

1 afaik pointdefense is a thing every unit has; so don't try to missle a 5 stack of destroyers if all you have is a cm with 3 HP
      2 pointdefense is only a thing against aircraft/missiles; groundunits simply hit eachother at the same time

I am The Baseline for opinions
    • KFGauss wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

. . .

If a AA unit is forced to defend a allied unit or city, it only targets one though
      . . .
      Thanks K
      Also - That's interesting - The AA unit knows what/where my attacking air units are going to attack?

In other words,
      • If two of my jets (#1 and #2) are inside the AA unit's range, and
        • Jet #1 is going to attack an MBT inside the AA unit's range (arriving in one minute), and
        • Jet #2 is flying to attack a far-away city (arriving in 15 minutes) that is far outside the AA unit's range;
        • Then only Jet #1 will be hit by the AA when the AA "triggers", because the AA unit is defending the MBT?

I'm ignoring that Jet #2 might get hit later, during one of the next "triggers".

Correct?
      Yes, correct