Unique, Strange, Off Meta Tactics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unique, Strange, Off Meta Tactics

We all spend most of our time talking about the best tactics, the machanics of the game, and other useful information for winning...

Not here!

The question:

What tactics, strategies, and moves do you make that are unique. Those that are different from the meta. That you don't see every day. And mainly, that you enjoy implementing!

Maybe they are great in specific but rare scenarios. Maybe you illogically love a specific unit type. Maybe the tactics are not great but you like to have fun with them or enjoy the challenge.

Or the best - maybe you are like me and enjoy the mental warfare of messing with your enemies. Playing with your food before you eat.

Whatever the reason, put it in the comments!

Then let the rest of us make fun of how easily we could counter you

Cheers!
      Long Live Cuba
    • Let me get the ball rolling.

The day one bunker rush!

Build only level two bunkers in exterior cities as quick as lossible. Then just declare war against your neighbors, sacrificing a guy or two in a poor suicide attack and wait.

Since it's early game and air threats don't exist yet, 99% of the time in public games they counter attack you immediately with most of their infantry and recon troops.

Especially if you hold off on building army bases in every city. They get real confident then

Then once his troops die to your 25% + 43% defense bonuses, take his cities and start playing for real.
      Long Live Cuba
    • I doubt I've been around long enough to come up with anything too surprising, but here's a few things I've done that might benefit other rookies:
      1. Send Air units to fly toward a patrol location centered on a river in order to either snoop over neighboring territory (NPC or AFK human), or to prepare for an attack, with having to declare war when your plane crosses that neighbor's border.
      2. Fire Cruise Missiles at the center of a province to hit stealth ground troops who were invisible at/near the center of that province.
      3. When fighting an NPC, capture the provinces around the boring cities (resources you don't need immediately) and let those provinces grow happier before capturing the city. The provinces' morale will have a positive (instead of negative) effect on the city's morale.
      4. Initiate repairs on an airport while an enemy is bombarding the airport with a single ship (not a stack of maxxed Cruisers) before that bombardment destroys the airport, thereby keeping the airport barely alive for several hours longer than the attacker expected the it would stay alive, and keeping the attacker engaged longer than they wanted to be there.
      5. When a coalition member had to be kicked, they used air transports to send a large assault force toward one of my city airports during the 24 hours while they still had right-of-way permission within the coalition. They planned to be on the ground within my city when the 24 ROW period expired. To both thwart his attack, and force each air transport flight to spend hours returning to its departure location, I destroyed the airport (while the 24 hour coalition-departure right-of-way was still in effect) minutes before the lead units landed. Some of those air transports were killed during their flights back to their starting air bases.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• This works best in Rising Tides compared to standard games with lethargic insurgents.

Find an occupied city of your opponent with lower morale numbers, preferably near his homeland and not near your territory. Shore bombard it with ships or aerial bombard it with planes and use spies (resources permitting) to lower morale of that city. Eventually The Chosen will rise up.

Considering that The Chosen are more prolific and aggressive compared to average insurgents, they are an effective distraction or rebellious force that your enemy must now deal with.

This can backfire however, either humorously or frustratingly.

• I don't know if this tactic would be considered "Unique, Strange, Off Meta Tactics".

I call it vectoring.

If in a game you are building an airfield or airbase and it is nearing the 40% completion mark where it is usable and near the "action", I will have air transportable units board a transport and get them in the air heading to another airfield or airbase, preferably but not necessarily, in the direction of the airfield / base being built. Once the new airfield / base hits 40% I will redirect or vector the air transport to the new airfield / base.

This obviously (to the experienced) cuts down on boarding, disembarking and actual flight time, if you time your vector well enough.

Furthermore, you can do this with other air units which can patrol. I also do this with air units such as ASFs, SFs, etc. in a ferry capacity considering that the ferry range is further than the patrol / attack range.

I am curious, anyone else do this?

• Im On Smoko wrote:

I don't know if this tactic would be considered "Unique, Strange, Off Meta Tactics".

I call it vectoring.

If in a game you are building an airfield or airbase and it is nearing the 40% completion mark where it is usable and near the "action", I will have air transportable units board a transport and get them in the air heading to another airfield or airbase, preferably but not necessarily, in the direction of the airfield / base being built. Once the new airfield / base hits 40% I will redirect or vector the air transport to the new airfield / base.

This obviously (to the experienced) cuts down on boarding, disembarking and actual flight time, if you time your vector well enough.

Furthermore, you can do this with other air units which can patrol. I also do this with air units such as ASFs, SFs, etc. in a ferry capacity considering that the ferry range is further than the patrol / attack range.

I am curious, anyone else do this?

Sorry if it bursts your bubble smoko, 'cause you cool as Mercury's dark side, but I do this all the time as what I consider normal maneuvers.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD