Just a note on unit icons representing multiple units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just a note on unit icons representing multiple units

So, we are told that, for example a Motor Infantry dude icon actually, represents a squad, platoon or company, tho I don't think I've ever seen the exact designation given, and I eliminated anything higher like battalion, and that's all well and good and makes sense. I mean would it really make sense if your entire Army only had 5 guys covering all the middle east? Obviously not. So cool, there's a platoon of guys going across the countryside, ... fine.

We are also told that each plane icon represents some other non specified number of actual planes, and this seems to make sense as well. A squad of strikes swooping in to bomb a target. Also fine.

But ships, here's where I think it breaks down. Are we to believe that an AIrcraft Carrier represents multiple carriers, and those multiple carriers are all going to be sailing around in lockstep formation??? And what about subs? If each sub icon represents a non specified multiple, and you have a five stack of them, does that mean you have like 20 subs all sailing around in 1 huge ass metal globe swarm, all stealthy and virtually undetectable?

What do you guys think?

tldr: icons representing multiple units believability breaks down for naval units.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • According the the game's terminology, each ground unit is a Battalion and 3 or more in a stack is a Division. One air unit is a Squadron, and 3 or more is a Wing.

A ship is a ship. Three to five ships is a Task Force. (I know submarines are 'boats', rather than ships, but I think the same principle applies!)

I think that kind of works. It's not consistent, but I don't think that matters.
    • WalterChang wrote:

According the the game's terminology, each ground unit is a Battalion and 3 or more in a stack is a Division. One air unit is a Squadron, and 3 or more is a Wing.

A ship is a ship. Three to five ships is a Task Force. (I know submarines are 'boats', rather than ships, but I think the same principle applies!)

I think that kind of works. It's not consistent, but I don't think that matters.
      Please show me where you got this. Link or something.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

WalterChang wrote:

According the the game's terminology, each ground unit is a Battalion and 3 or more in a stack is a Division. One air unit is a Squadron, and 3 or more is a Wing.

Please show me where you got this. Link or something.
      One place those adjectives show up (IIRC) is the CoN News reports.
      I think they also appear when you do some operations in the interactive (Web Browser) user-interface, but for the life of me, at this moment, I can't remember when/where.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().