What if ICBM was invincible?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What if ICBM was invincible?

What if the ICBM could not be stopped after launch?

In Call of War, the nuclear rocket is the end of the line for the arms race. Once a nuclear rocket launched, it can’t be stopped. The target province will get destroyed. This unit (appears) to be fair and balanced, despite having no counter at all.

What if CoN did the same? Realistically, TDS might be able to stop some warheads from impacting, but there is no hope for stopping whole ICBM payloads. Once a ICBM is launched, the target is going to be destroyed. This would make the ICBM an especially deadly unit given its range and power. Currently, the ICBM is fairly useless; It is tremendously expensive and time consuming for what it offers. Nuclear BMs are usually a better alternative for long range strategic missiles. Would giving the ICBM a major buff like this ruin the balance of the game, or would it make missile warfare more interesting?
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

In Call of War, the nuclear rocket is the end of the line for the arms race. Once a nuclear rocket launched, it can’t be stopped. The target province will get destroyed. This unit (appears) to be fair and balanced, despite having no counter at all.

What if CoN did the same? Realistically, TDS might be able to stop some warheads from impacting, but there is no hope for stopping whole ICBM payloads. Once a ICBM is launched, the target is going to be destroyed. This would make the ICBM an especially deadly unit given its range and power. Currently, the ICBM is fairly useless; It is tremendously expensive and time consuming for what it offers. Nuclear BMs are usually a better alternative for long range strategic missiles. Would giving the ICBM a major buff like this ruin the balance of the game, or would it make missile warfare more interesting?
      You can mobilize ten TDS in one city and research max level

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tzztzttztz ().

• Colonel Waffles wrote:

It is tremendously expensive and time consuming for what it offers.

Colonel Waffles wrote:

your "solution" doesn't really adress the issue to begin with

Colonel Waffles wrote:

Realistically, TDS might be able to stop some warheads from impacting, but there is no hope for stopping whole ICBM payloads
      then go ahead build and launch that many missiles; piercing AA bubbles is an art in itself after all
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

What if CoN did the same?
      In CoW you can produce units in any city you've conquered without spending vast amounts of resources on annexing them. This makes a nuclear impact on one of your cities a lot less damaging to your overall progress than it does in CoN, where you can't.

I don't disagree entirely with your suggestion, but I think that make a difference.
    • ICBM are already impossible to stop once you learned bubble piercing, due to their 75 area of effect. No TDS can help you against "late game" where you can launch ICBM 2 by 2.

Hence my usual advice about when i'm asked how to defend against a skilled opponent having reached the "lot of ICBMs" state ---> Rush. Don't stop, it's your only chance.

Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

ICBM are already impossible to stop once you learned bubble piercing, due to their 75 area of effect. No TDS can help you against "late game" where you can launch ICBM 2 by 2.
      fool! i will just place TDS EVERYWHERE!

Opulon wrote:

Hence my usual advice about when i'm asked how to defend against a skilled opponent having reached the "lot of ICBMs" state ---> Rush. Don't stop, it's your only chance.
      on that, wouldn't it be in theory viable to simply not capture provinces with inf simply because you're unable to target your own provinces/cities?
    • Opulon wrote:

ICBM are already impossible to stop once you learned bubble piercing, due to their 75 area of effect. No TDS can help you against "late game" where you can launch ICBM 2 by 2.

Does point defense not get triggered by splash damage?
      Yee Haw
    • Teburu wrote:

Opulon wrote:

on that, wouldn't it be in theory viable to simply not capture provinces with inf simply because you're unable to target your own provinces/cities?
      it is! viable ! last month got to fight with a person who keep nuke me with BM and ICBM every time i capture his city.
      so i just be like "fuck it!" and don't stack my inf in the main stack. a lone inf will follow far behind the main stack to capture so if he decide to nuke, it'll be just a inf lost.
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • Teburu wrote:

Opulon wrote:

Opulon wrote:

My God. Never thought of that. You are a genius. (not even ironical. I'm just like "wow, indeed" )
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

Opulon wrote:

Does point defense not get triggered by splash damage?
      Nope it doesn't, hence the "ultimately it doesn't matter" thingy.

You have 10 TDS on EVERY CITY ?

If their offensive round is triggered and the ICBM with 75 splash falls on the empty province near to them, the 10 will be vaporized, just like that.
    • Opulon wrote:

Teburu wrote:

Opulon wrote:

Opulon wrote:

My God. Never thought of that. You are a genius. (not even ironical. I'm just like "wow, indeed" )
      not really sure about the viability tho because in enemy territory your're then totally exposed and cut off from really any sort of airsupport
      you also can't really capture stuff to take out eg an annexed city for good
      imo only really doable in theory
    • Opulon wrote:

It is said though, that the splash radius of missile also triggers pointdefense units with Anti-Missile-Defense :/
    • Teburu wrote:

in general there are 3 "modes" which AA works in

offensive AA tick
      AA checks and shoots offensivly at a set time; this time is different each game and happens in intervals of 10 minutes
      e.g: AA checks are 15:02; then the next offensive AA tick would be 15:12 and then the next 15:22 and so on.... it doesnt matter where the aircraft is as long as its in range it will be hit (in fact ALL aircraft in range will be hit)

ranged AA defense
      outside of these set times AA can trigger if you attack something inside their range (even stealthaircraft can't avoide triggering the ranged defense); when ranged defense is triggered as many AA stacks as necessary to kill the offending unit will fire

pointdefense
      pretty much the big "fuck you too" card AA has1; pointdefense is basically when you hit a unit, before you deal dmg the defending side hits first2; this tends to fuck over missiles in particular as it makes them utterly useless the second they don't posess enough HP to get past a units pointdefense value; pointdefense has no cooldown btw

every time AA is triggered it goes on a 10 minute cooldown, keep in mind tho that pointdefense is no subject to this cooldown
      how does this interact with the 10 minute AA tick? simply put: if you know the AA tick you can basically force a about 20 minute period where your aircraft are free to move within aa range
      e.g: AA tick is 15:02; you attack something in AA range (or the AA itself but wtf why would you) at 15:03 to trigger the cooldown --> the for 15:12 scheduled tick doesn't happen happen cuz its on cooldown; the cooldown ends on 15:13 and next tick is at 15:22 (keep in mind tho that ranged AA def is still a thing

1 afaik pointdefense is a thing every unit has; so don't try to missle a 5 stack of destroyers if all you have is a cm with 3 HP
      2 pointdefense is only a thing against aircraft/missiles; groundunits simply hit eachother at the same time
      Does "Ranged AA defence" not come into play as well as the "Offensive tick" with TDS against ICBM?
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Opulon wrote:

It is said though, that the splash radius of missile also triggers pointdefense units with Anti-Missile-Defense :/
      I can confirm from empirical knowledge that it's not the case. Or at least, wasn't the case in extensive case testing ( ultra late game in a scientifical map) a year ago or so.

In my testing, it was entirely possible, with method and patience, to "vaporise" stacks of TDS with splash. A good networked player can force the ICBM-player to "attack from the edge" and not be able to directly destroy the core, but still, it can be done.