Why you should (not) play 4x games

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 4x games are great to not overthink the game and just "play" chill, as well as experimenting things that would send you directly to the grave in other contexts. It's in that regard much more suited to people that just have the holidays to play
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

4x games are great to not overthink the game and just "play" chill, as well as experimenting things that would send you directly to the grave in other contexts. It's in that regard much more suited to people that just have the holidays to play
      I haven't played a 4x game in a long time and I accidently started one yesterday. It's really too fast.
      I am hugely behind other countries because I do not login every hour :S
    • Tzztzttztz wrote:

Opulon wrote:

4x games are great to not overthink the game and just "play" chill, as well as experimenting things that would send you directly to the grave in other contexts. It's in that regard much more suited to people that just have the holidays to play
      I haven't played a 4x game in a long time and I accidently started one yesterday. It's really too fast.I am hugely behind other countries because I do not login every hour :S
      4x can only help in hit & run as the boat can shoot every 15 minutes. Otherwise null
    • Admittedly 1x are great provided your lucky enough to have some really competitive
      active users on the map / regarding strategies & tactics , timing and execution against
      challenging users everything needs to be more accurate i have found where the beauty
      of 1x lays for me personally / tip if you want challenge playing 1x don't enter game early
      check them out around 3 quarters full there are plenty of new ones always up on new
      games and look for higher ranked players else you'll be clubbing baby seals and that's not
      nice :)
    • MosquitoMoe wrote:

Admittedly 1x are great provided your lucky enough to have some really competitive
      active users on the map / regarding strategies & tactics , timing and execution against
      challenging users everything needs to be more accurate i have found where the beauty
      of 1x lays for me personally / tip if you want challenge playing 1x don't enter game early
      check them out around 3 quarters full there are plenty of new ones always up on new
      games and look for higher ranked players else you'll be clubbing baby seals and that's not
      nice :)
      Should be limited to playing 1x ww3 games only for players above lvl 3
    • Well i must say i have clubbed 5 x lv 50+ player in my current public that went inactive after they wasted all start resources and found out their land is a shithole with no income...so sadly thats not that much of an indicator as many high levle player tend to play 200 games at the same time...

1x speed teaches you patience. Plan Wait execute.

4x doesnt give you rest to sleep...a little nap and your country is taken over (unless you have russia or amazonia)
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • It's no different than playing any other game in that you need to understand the strengths and weaknesses and use them to your best advantage. In 4x games the general best strategy is simply being active at least 8 times a day. By doing that consistently you will be ahead of 90% of other players. As for the other 10% of players you will need to use the same stratagies as 1 x games while being active. Overall the 4x games can allow a very active but inexperienced player to beat people they could not usually contend with.
      Also on 4x games, the first few days it helped to be on even more than that to get a larger jump start on others who are lackadaisical.
      Remember 4x is a double edge sword... just being inactive for 24 hours at some point can spell defeat.
      Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way
    • They're coarse and rough, and they get everywhere.

I like 4X more and more, for my sleep and to be able to still have some time to handle staff duties, IRL, and alliance management, something i can't really do when i'm fighting in a good X1.

This would change if 4X had more competent players, but the problem here is not 4X : it's mobile players. Even when they try, they have too much latency to do proper hit&run, and they can't use air properly due to map projections (their plane positioning is always off to the reality of the map, which can be seen on PC).

Not their fault, of course, but when they are in a context where the server needs 1 or 2 seconds to acknowledge an order, it really shows. They are clumsy in fight, like on a FPS with 600 ping, and it's hard for them to really "match up" their opponents.

4X event between competitive players would be a sight to see.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

If you want to learn in depth mechanics of the game, 4x is a bad place to look.

I know many high ranking players, with preferance to 4x games, who still lack the understanding of many 'basic features' of the game.

You do not need to be good to win a public just highly active, is even more true for 4x games then for 1x games.
      I can't handle 4x speed after a month of not playing it :)
    • Opulon wrote:

I have yet to master this "chill attitude" you said elsewhere that you also initially had difficulty in coming to grips with in a 4X game, therefore, I find 4X to just be massively more frenetic versions of my 1X games.

And zombies in 4X are a much bigger threat to most people (not experienced zombie farmers) in 4X games and can radically change the entire world in just a few days.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Opulon wrote:

I have yet to master this "chill attitude" you said elsewhere that you also initially had difficulty in coming to grips with in a 4X game, therefore, I find 4X to just be massively more frenetic versions of my 1X games.
      And zombies in 4X are a much bigger threat to most people (not experienced zombie farmers) in 4X games and can radically change the entire world in just a few days.
      I got helped and accompanied but yeah, it was hard in the beginning. The most surprising thing is that you tend to see some countries you thought useless and isolated, trying to make a comeback in mid-late, and they sometimes do manage to be successful
    • 4x requires more activity, faster pace strats, and quick adjustments. Most of my games end in Day 30s which is really short.

So yes, it is correct that 1x players most likely have a greater understanding of the mechanics and tactics. The most common unit composition in 4x are literally just moto infantry and strike fighters.

(*this doesn't mean there can't be competitive, late-game plays with more complex strats in 4x lobbies, its just rare to see.*)
    • It's true that it's pretty fun to see stacks being evaporated in just one hour real time. The guy commits a bit too much, logs off for lunch, comes back without an army.

IT can teaches you things, even for X1, i think. Positioning and threat.
    • simply 4x map is not strategic game is only online game .. secondary most it is place where spawn nebies gold for try achive victory but almost evry second speed mup have some gold whale so if i play 4x just for fun or if need make quick progress on season ..

simply it is see on how doesnt work properly count in batle ( many time die something what not die on normal speed ,many time not need care about insurgent just have flůeet to clear all again and again ..)

like im now play blood and oil i rush simply one nation by start army start produce gunship spawn quick elite helicopter etile fixed wing produce more gunship some basic national guard and tradaaa i have about 50 city second one 12 ..

prnt.sc/1xbgloy

that is simply how finaly work speed map did you have time at least on start whole day or day after briliant you may enjoys this map if not trust me you be overrun somebody whjo have time or gold

on normal ok you may be overrun by somebody who have gold but time doesnt so much help to rush like on speed map

you see on screen how normaly per day 3x time log player for 5-10 minute ( with simply easy play (becose he is in my coaly ..) couldnt step in some level like me with invest just first day after simply im only make fleet atack put patrol over conqered city and dont care if revolt late i send again some fresh national guard where is any stategy ..

The post was edited 2 times, last by Andilek7319 ().

• I only want to play 4x, I can't do the regular time games. Everything is too slow.

When u realize you need something you haven't researched or built yet and it needs a lvl 4 building u have a shot at starting that tomorrow if u can queue up the buildings. But Waiting 4 days just to get the pre req building up... I can't sit around that long and still care about the game when I come back.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tumbler ().