Best elite unit

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• There are only 2 Elite that deserve this name:

1. Railgun
      2. Elite Heli

If i have to choose Iin a battel between the 2 of them I use Railgun.

Here is why: Its a perfect alrounder. Air Defence, Attack without gettinging damaged, even good against ships. Airdrop. Missle Defense. Man When the elite HeliCopter is a Bastard from hell then the railgun is his mother.

Elite Heli on lvl 3 - I call him bastard - is the most powerful weapon (@Dorado: Please dont nerf - again). But he depends in Airfield and need to heal after several attacks. This limits his functionality especially against player that destroy your infrastructure.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

There are only 2 Elite that deserve this name:

1. Railgun
      2. Elite Heli

If i have to choose Iin a battel between the 2 of them I use Railgun.

Here is why: Its a perfect alrounder. Air Defence, Attack without gettinging damaged, even good against ships. Airdrop. Missle Defense. Man When the elite HeliCopter is a Bastard from hell then the railgun is his mother.

Elite Heli on lvl 3 - I call him bastard - is the most powerful weapon (@Dorado: Please dont nerf - again). But he depends in Airfield and need to heal after several attacks. This limits his functionality especially against player that destroy your infrastructure.
      railgun definitly doesnt deserve the top spot; what with its heavy reliance on terrain and its lack of radar (which means you need additional radar/awacs if you want to actually make use of the full range of AA)
      AIP sub on the other hand completely subverts how naval combat is supposed to work (range being a big factor) and just laughs into the face of every "i have more range" argument
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • So you complain about railgun and terrain and then you vavour submarines that are uónly useful in the water (were you surely get the best mix of ressoruces and victory points)
      Not to mention the supreme the radar functionality of elite submarines...

That makes complete sense...you convinced me. NOT
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • The range of 75 makes RG pretty much useless against ships, as soon they start having range 100, so cruiser from the start. The only thing, that it is still good against then, are landing teams.
      Also the get range improvents so late (day 28), they get even outclassed by toweds in regards of range for quite some days and even then they are just even.

Also 10 RGs are to few for a unit that needs to be spread around to secure coast or air space.

On top is the disadvantage in mountains quite an issue, even more because artillery tend to be strong there.

Display Spoiler
      Maybe the worst thing though, a lack of dedicated Railgun attack animation :D
    • Hi,

i never said that the railgun beats every special unit on its field. Sure it not the best anti air unit, not the best artillery unit and so on.
      The railgun is great in early game to defend your coast against any ship except cruisers before they get 75 range...(what they need 4 researches)

Its value is in the diverity(early Cruise Missle defense, airlift etc.) and that you get this all in only 3 researches...not like other weapons

BTW: cruisers need 3 researches for 100 range ;)
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Hi,

i never said that the railgun beats every special unit on its field. Sure it not the best anti air unit, not the best artillery unit and so on.
      The railgun is great in early game to defend your coast against any ship except cruisers before they get 75 range...(what they need 4 researches)

Its value is in the diverity(early Cruise Missle defense, airlift etc.) and that you get this all in only 3 researches...not like other weapons

BTW: cruisers need 3 researches for 100 range ;)
      True, but CR start with range 75 and RG are stuck with range 50 until day 28, or better said day 30, because researching also takes time.
      So the numbers were a bit wrong, but the core message is still the same.

Any dedicated navy guy will have his ships at range 75 already for a long time.

BTW: RG needs 3 Researches to get Range 75 ;)

How ever at the same range ships will always have the advantage, because ships can move faster than any ground unit can and they move as far away as the wish, while an artillery can only chase until it gets to the coast
    • Setting aside the terrain modifiers, which have been discussed at length above. The problem with the rail gun is it doesn’t do anything very well, and even the things is supposedly does well (anti-air) it still needs other units to make it effective (infantry to capture land and radar). You can accomplish everything the rail gun provides with other, cheaper, units and you do not have to wait until day 30 to actually utilize. By day 30, you can easily have enough rockets, SAMs, and ASFs (even low level ASFs and SAMs, or replace the ASFs with mobile AA) to perform the exact same role that the rail gun accomplishes.

The AIP does not need any other unit to perform its job, and it is also the best unit it in the game for its sole purpose (destroy other ships).

The elite helicopter (at max level), like the AIP, does not need other units to perform its job, and it is also the best unit in the game for its sole purpose (destroy hard and soft targets).

The railgun is not the best unit at anything. Rockets and mobile artillery are better at artillery. SAMs are better at killing planes, and ASFs are better at killing helicopters (frankly, mobile AA are probably better too if you research it out - given the price difference too).
    • -Elite Main Battle Tank
      -Elite Attack Helicopter
      -Elite AIP Submarine
      -Elite Railgun
      -Elite Bomber
      -Elite UGV

What do you think is the best elite unit?

ANSWER
      #1A Elite Subs
      #1B Elite Helos

the rest aren't even Elite anything compared to these.

The "Elite" railgun since nerfing is actually elite at nothing, but rather the "jack of all trades, master of none" unit

The Elite tank is after all a tank, and it's just the equivalent of getting tier 3 regular MBTs 20 some days early

The Elite Bomber, while the definitive BM delivery vehicle is a resource hog, due to having to research the regular bomber line and getting no uber bonus like stealth with the T3 helos

The Elite UGV is only Elite at wasting your resources and tech spots while returning nothing you can't get more cheaply with other units
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

The Elite UGV is only Elite at wasting your resources and tech spots while returning nothing you can't get more cheaply with other units
      I love that comment! Hooray!

Having said this. I never play a game without good old Railgun...but i can easily win one without elite subs...

I once tried without helicoprters at alll...it was a pain in the ass...but i managed...good old MRL..
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

I love that comment! Hooray!
      Having said this. I never play a game without good old Railgun...but i can easily win one without elite subs...

I once tried without helicoprters at alll...it was a pain in the ass...but i managed...good old MRL..
      I always used to build railguns until the nerfing, now I see them as a unit that does a lot well, but nothing great. Before they could stand in for a TDS somewhat, and provide artillery protection from invasion, now, no.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• MattBooth25 wrote:

IMO this order.

1st. Elite Subs / Elite Helis
      2nd. Elite Aircraft / Elite Railgun
      I like what you did here, but ...

That's how I'd have it before they nerfed the Railgun (but of course there was no EAA then, but you get the picture)

Now, I'd swap out the Railgun for the Elite Bomber. Nothing like having 3/5ths ICBM range, long before anyone can reasonably have ICBMs.
      The KING of CoN News!!!