New Map / Scenario suggestions

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • New Map / Scenario suggestions

      I find that most games start off a little to slow imo and I'd like to see a map that offered all the Day 1 tech researched and ready.

      Map would be the WW3 with 64 players at 4x in other other sense, but you would start with the following Day 1 tech already researched:
      Infantry
      Airborne Infantry
      National guard
      Recon Armor
      Armored Fighting Vehicle
      Towed Artillery
      Mobile Anti-Air
      Attack Helicopter (Anti Armor)
      Air Superiority Fighter
      UAV
      Heavy Bomber
      Corvette
      Attack Submarine
      Conventional Warhead (Maybe not this one, or just move it to day 2, I don't know anyone who researches this on day one anyway, but I'll take it on day 1 if ppl think it would be fun)
      Infantry Officer
      Airborne Officer
      Rotary Wing Officer
      Submarine Officer
      Elite Attack Helicopter (If you have season pass badge)



      What do you guys think? Haven't thought of a name yet but I'd love to see how the game plays with more options available to all players and see how it all balances out.
    • well where is the deal for dorado if everybody has all the techs? Anyway most of the tech you couldnt use on day 1 for you need army base lvl 4 for mrl...

      Once they had high class units as start units in rising tides. They stopped it.

      No idea how they could keep players active aftee they blastes of the start resources.

      I would love somwthing like you pick your government on start.

      Economic. You aleady have industry. Military. Some more start units. Scientific. You can picj 2 free techs. That would be interesting
      Alle sagten: Das geht nicht. Dann kam einer, der wusste das nicht und hat es einfach gemacht.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

      well where is the deal for dorado if everybody has all the techs? Anyway most of the tech you couldnt use on day 1 for you need army base lvl 4 for mrl...
      This isn't all the techs. This is just the techs listed on day 1. It would give players the option to field more units without devoting precious time and resources to units that never become valuable enough to research over infantry, strike fighters, tanks, destroyers, cruisers and frigates.

      There is a small set of units that end up as the majority of peoples armies because they're a lot more effective and you only have so many resources and time so we rarely see all these other units used effectively.

      And some units would still require additional upgrades, like airborne infantry for example.
    • Players can build the buildings... I'm not sure what your point is.

      Research is a big issue because many techs take the same amount of time to research despite being no where near as effective in combat.

      Uav's for example. I would like to use them but I cannot afford to devote the time to research it when I can research tier 2 infantry instead. Or destroyers, or tanks or tier 3 infantry of strike fighters or tier 4 infantry or tier 2 tanks or tier 2 destroyers or tier 1 frigates or tier 5 infantry.

      • And once I hit the higher levels of these units it still doesn't make sense to devote resources to other stuff because I need to produce as many of the researched units as possible because they are still the best use of time and resources.


      I think there is a bigger issue with research in general and the time it takes to get less expensive tech vs more expensive.

      Tanks for example.
      1800/2000/2900 1d8h
      Vs
      Antitank
      1500/1750/2000 1d1h

      This is not a tough decision, you will be able to use tanks in a wide variety of combat, the anti tank unit will face a lot of infantry on the battle field and if your lucky u might run into a tank...

      Research time is too important to focus on units with one specific purpose. If the costs of these research techs are accurate then the time to research should be based on that cost and from a game play stand point we need to look at what things cost and make sure there is a reason to use each tech.

      You'd have better results just building tanks to counter other tanks because then u have a unit that can do a lot more besides just fight tanks.
    • Something more along the lines of Call of War 1942 would help.

      All level 1 units are fairly cheap and pretty fast to research. You only need a single L1 building to start producing any unit of that type. Build times for L1 buildings and units are relatively fast as well.

      This means you can get an interesting and varied mix of units up and running in the first couple of days. Higher level units become progressively much more expensive to research and produce, with research and production times increasing along with it.

      This means you do have to specialise as the game moves on in order to keep your key units up to the latest tech level, but in the early game you can have pretty much all of it. I think this makes the early game much more interesting, and also helps a lot with keeping more casual players involved for longer.
    • There are a few level one units that you can research quickly, 30 m or less.
      But most rarely get used. And over time I've come to realize they're just not worth it compared to a handful of other units.

      Combat Recon for example, it only takes 30 min but then you have to spend a day building it. (21 hours 30m on the game i'm playing currently) You could build another infantry in that amount of time and there is far more chance you'll need that and focus on upgrading that in the future vs a recon vehicle.

      Even free and already researched I'm still not sure these other units are valuable enough to build versus putting more infantry, strike fighters and tanks onto the field...

      Consider the Tank / Anti Tank strategy.

      You see your enemy building a lvl 2 barracks so you have to worry about tanks or you can build your own tanks and go head to head. You know he's building infantry because otherwise he's already lost so he's massing his forces on day one, you're massing your forces but you start researching anti tanks and he goes for tanks. Day 2 brings battles between your starting units without any big changes, you hold him back but your cities are building 4 infantry and an anti tank unit. (5 cities at this point) Your enemy is building 4 infantry and a tank. He's a little behind you because it takes a bit longer to research and build a tank.

      Unfortunately the antitank unit really can't help you move into his territory and take over. It's vulnerable to infantry in a big way. But let's assume you find your 4 infantry and 1 anti tank running into his 1 tank and 4 infantry... You've blown it. The tank has 52 HP and your anti tank has 25. You do a potential of 3 extra damage each turn(if you hit the tank) and more than likely your anti tank weapon is going to go down long before hte battle is over so you'll be fighting 3-4inf and a tank vs 4 inf if you're lucky.

      I don't see a scenario where this unit is even good enough to build if you don't have to spend the time researching it. If you could build 2 anti tanks in the time it takes someone to build one tank then maybe... but you still wind up with a unit that can't do the most important part of the game, assaulting enemy territory and gaining control of it.

      But the first step would be to test having no research pre-req's to build these units and see if the games change in a way that is positive.
    • Well let's start from the beginning, this is a classic suggestion, not a Scenario. A Scenario would be to perhaps construct a new map mode, map type, game mechanic.

      This is a suggestion to make the Start easier than it is.

      Would it make the game easier, Yes, but a bit unrealistic for every single nation to have a start-point access to Base Levels of everything in the Research Tab.
      Where's the challenge there?
      Where's the satisfaction of accomplishing everything from scratch?

      I, personally, like new ideas and can tell and see where everyone's coming from by forwarding such an idea. Here's a suggestion, when making a new idea, think about two things.
      -Is it realistic?
      -Is it necessary?

      Can this game be easier? Yes. Is it realistic? Maybe. Is it necessary? Not really.
      Good luck in Your next match.
    • Solomon wrote:

      . . . a bit unrealistic for every single nation to have a start-point access to Base Levels of everything in the Research Tab. . . .
      Realism? I am dumbfounded that you believe that actual realism is involved in this subject.

      Come on, aside from using a few pictures of real machinery and a map that sort-of resembles a world map if you squint hard enough, CoN's several variants are about as far away from realistic as things can get without completely destroying our ability to "suspend disbelief".

      Libya, Peru, Mexico, Romania, Afghanistan, The Philippines, and New Zealand are all able to build best-in-class ASF, MBTs, Subs, Helis, and Warships almost from Day 1?

      You just have to admit that CoN operates in a place that is a long way from the land of realism - And that is a good thing, because it's a game.
    • KFGauss wrote:

      @Tumbler is your post above grounded in a claim that Tanks are the only Day 1, non-Infantry ground unit anyone should research and build?

      It seems like that's what you're implying, and I'm sure that at least one of the Forum's frequent-flyers will disagree.

      If I'm mistaken about what you meant, help me out.

      Tanks are not a day 1 research tech.

      I'm seeing a lot of games using very similar sets of units and I'm suggesting that the reason is that the other units are simply inferior under the current rules and you'll only handicap yourself by using them.

      Tanks are a very popular unit to research and build and will continue to be so because they offer a lot more bang for your buck and value for the time to build compared to many other units. Part of this imbalance is that many other units still have a considerable startup cost (research) and a considerable time to build when you could just build a tank (or something else) and have better options as the game goes forward.

      The obvious (imo) counter to a tank currently is a strike fighter as again that unit is good at attacking a lot of other units in addition to tanks. But strike fighters are also not day 1 tech. Players might see more reason to build some of these other options (like mobile anti air (to combat strike fighters) or anti tank armor) if it didn't need to be researched in advance.
    • Solomon wrote:

      Well let's start from the beginning, this is a classic suggestion, not a Scenario. A Scenario would be to perhaps construct a new map mode, map type, game mechanic.
      I was thinking the same way the Scenario Armegeddon startings you with Nukes and access to all tech regardless of day on a map similar to the full world map of WW3, there would be another scenario like that and it would be called something like:

      March to War
      or
      Arms Race
      or
      something to indicate you had more units to choose from at the start

      Just game it out in your head. Day 1 I'm normally building a barracks in most cities, and a recruiting office. Then arms industry in a few cities if not all.
      You can now build:
      Infantry
      National Guard
      Recon Armor
      Mobile Anti Air
      Inf officer
      rotary wing officer

      After that Arms Industry in the capital is done you can build Air Superiority fighters. As you build more buildings you just have a few more options that otherwise don't make sense.

      It's impossible to predict how it's going to change the strategies players use so let people play it and find out if it's a better experience. People may still prefer to play the other maps / scenarios. But if it's far more popular than all the other modes then consider making more scenarios that start with all day 1 tech researched and rdy.

      One of hte best things about this game is that you can constantly start over and just try again. Games begin and end all the time.
    • Tumbler wrote:

      KFGauss wrote:

      @Tumbler is your post above grounded in a claim that Tanks are the only Day 1, non-Infantry ground unit anyone should research and build?

      It seems like that's what you're implying, and I'm sure that at least one of the Forum's frequent-flyers will disagree.

      If I'm mistaken about what you meant, help me out.
      Tanks are not a day 1 research tech.

      . . .
      OK, OK, OK
      Let me rephrase - Is your post above grounded in a claim that Tanks are the only Day 1/2, non-Infantry ground unit anyone should research and build?

      I'm hoping for an answer that starts with either "Yes", or "No", followed by not much else.
    • I'm the original suggestion...

      I'm making the suggestion because I think many games just follow the same strategies with most of the units in the game being ignored because certain units offer a better return in general on investment. One thing i wanted to try was a map that started with all the day 1 tech researched so people might find it more likely to use these other units.
    • I would ignore other units even if lvl 1 research is done. Because they are useless for my strategy. Again if you have tank on day 1 you still need to wait 2 days to have army base and industry. Same with bombers, artillery and fighters. So logucal next demand is to have cities already ready to go.

      Research, build and scarce resources are part of this games business model. They wont change it.
      Alle sagten: Das geht nicht. Dann kam einer, der wusste das nicht und hat es einfach gemacht.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by kurtvonstein: i need a new keyboard... ().

    • Tumbler wrote:

      I'm the original suggestion...

      I'm making the suggestion because I think many games just follow the same strategies with most of the units in the game being ignored because certain units offer a better return in general on investment. One thing i wanted to try was a map that started with all the day 1 tech researched so people might find it more likely to use these other units.
      Sorry to be blunt, but it sounds to me like you're the one who always follows the same strategy, and hasn't experimented much with different ones.

      Instead of having the game give you free research at the start so that you can try out different units, you could just research them yourself. You know: do tank destroyers instead of MBTs and see how it works for you.

      I'm probably as guilty as you at doing this, but I have different preferences. (I nearly always build TDs and Recons, for example, and almost never build Tanks or Strike Fighters.)
    • WalterChang wrote:

      Tumbler wrote:

      I'm the original suggestion...

      I'm making the suggestion because I think many games just follow the same strategies with most of the units in the game being ignored because certain units offer a better return in general on investment. One thing i wanted to try was a map that started with all the day 1 tech researched so people might find it more likely to use these other units.
      Sorry to be blunt, but it sounds to me like you're the one who always follows the same strategy, and hasn't experimented much with different ones.
      Instead of having the game give you free research at the start so that you can try out different units, you could just research them yourself. You know: do tank destroyers instead of MBTs and see how it works for you.

      I'm probably as guilty as you at doing this, but I have different preferences. (I nearly always build TDs and Recons, for example, and almost never build Tanks or Strike Fighters.)

      Well you couldn't be more wrong.

      I've tried strategies that include most of the units in the game and am coming to understand that you simply can't use most of the units and be competitive. I'm seeing the most effective startegies and I've developing strategies to counter them but over and over I don't have to adapt to much that is unexpected because a few key units offer so much benefit that either your oppenent builds that way and you counter them or they don't and you just obliterate them.

      It sounds like you have not tryed using many of the units I'm proposing because there is no way to include them in your army against a competent player. Just consider how strong and versatile the infantry unit is. If you devote resources to build Recon tanks, or AFB's, you'll simply be overwhelmed by high tier infantry as these units become dominant very fast by just focusing on teching them up. They hit armor, infantry and air VERY hard if you just focus on building infantry and teching them up.

      Plus early on they're very cheap so if you build a lot of them you end up with an exponentially more powerful force with just a few steps up in tech. Those units can go out and take land / cities and increase your income so fast that nothing else matters. If your opponent spends his resources building AFB's and recon by comparison they'll get obliterated by the infantry. You'll have tier 1 inf, recon and afb's while he's got tier 3 infantry and it only gets worse.

      Please explain a strategy for using anything besides strike fighters against infantry that are being teched up asap. (let's assume no naval cities)