Why are there so few CoN streamers on Twitch?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why are there so few CoN streamers on Twitch?

If you look at the Conflict of Nations category on Twitch ( twitch.tv/directory/game/Confl…ions%3A%20World%20War%203 ) you will find almost no streamers at any given time. If there are streamers live, they are usually very small and / or new to streaming.

I recently found that CoN is offering sponsorships to big streamers who promote the game. I will share my thoughts on this, but that's a topic for another thread.

So why might that be? I have a few theories:[/b]

1) Because of the slow paced, real time nature of the game, this makes the game difficult to stream. That means a lot of streamers don't know how to effectively stream CoN.

2) Not enough strong players are interested in streaming.

3) Streamers who do stream it get very few viewers, which discourages them from streaming the game in the future, and pushes them to stream other games instead. This is because viewers assume that the game cannot be streamed in an entertaining fashion, and so they do not follow the category.

Well, I have found that this game CAN be streamed in an entertaining fashion. I have been playing since September 2017, and when a game would end, it would eventually disappear and I would have nothing to show for it. This is partly what got me into streaming, which I started doing regularly in December 2020.

I am the only streamer who Regularly streams this game on twitch. twitch.tv/thchozen0ne . My VODs are sub only, because of the Fog of War nature of the game, but before 60 days, I upload my past streams to YouTube.

The following is the stream I am most proud of. 6.5 hours of pure action! I believe this proves that CoN can be streamed in an entertaining way, and that exciting action won't be missed:

In the video, I took down a strong player, the United Kingdom, with heavy anti-air (despite my style of using aircraft). All action is documented on stream!

Discovery, however is an issue, which is why my Twitch channel has not grown, despite me being the only regular CoN streamer on Twitch. Let me know your thoughts on how we can help future streamers (who stream CoN regularly) on Twitch!
    • CON is a classic browser game, not enough happening there, even more on a slower pace like 1x

A league of legends match last 15-40 minutes on average, a CON match will last up to 3 days in 1x in a elite challenge if you only focus on the war time

Also if you stream a match life, you risk to get stream sniped by the enemy team

Higher game speed like 10x might make the game more streamable, but it also eliminates the 'Grand Strategy' Part of the game
    • Kalrakh wrote:

CON is a classic browser game, not enough happening there, even more on a slower pace like 1x

A league of legends match last 15-40 minutes on average, a CON match will last up to 3 days in 1x in a elite challenge if you only focus on the war time

Also if you stream a match life, you risk to get stream sniped by the enemy team

Higher game speed like 10x might make the game more streamable, but it also eliminates the 'Grand Strategy' Part of the game "
      Glad you brought those points up:

1) The stream I linked in my original post demonstrates that there is plenty of action in CoN, as long as you are savvy enough to catch it, and are able to play for a few hours at a time.

2) While I do agree that 1x speed is hopeless for streaming, 4x speed works if you focus on the invasion portions of the game, where there is a ton of action.

3) Being stream sniped is not a problem at all! This will only happen if the game becomes popular on Twitch. To me, I would rather be stream sniped and have a good viewership than have an awesome invasion that nobody watches.

Even if stream sniping becomes a big problem, that is where the gold comes in. I rarely ever use gold, but I have over 112k in reserves. If I know that my opponent is stream sniping, that is when I use it. I do not like using gold for just day-to-day game play. Also, for emergencies, like when my capitol is about to be taken.

On Twitch, viewers can donate to the streamer in the form of subs or bits. They can also redeem channel points if they want the streamer to use gold. I think this is a great way to combat stream sniping!

4) I am glad there are different game modes for different players. I like the faster game play. I think there should be 1x, 4x, and 8x games available at all times! I like to take the opponent by surprise, and not have to wait 2 hours to do a follow up order. I do not believe that faster game speed eliminates "Grand Strategy", but feel free to elaborate on this.
    • thchozen0ne wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

CON is a classic browser game, not enough happening there, even more on a slower pace like 1x

Higher game speed like 10x might make the game more streamable, but it also eliminates the 'Grand Strategy' Part of the game "
      Glad you brought those points up:
      1) The stream I linked in my original post demonstrates that there is plenty of action in CoN, as long as you are savvy enough to catch it, and are able to play for a few hours at a time.

2) While I do agree that 1x speed is hopeless for streaming, 4x speed works if you focus on the invasion portions of the game, where there is a ton of action.

3) Being stream sniped is not a problem at all! This will only happen if the game becomes popular on Twitch. To me, I would rather be stream sniped and have a good viewership than have an awesome invasion that nobody watches.

Even if stream sniping becomes a big problem, that is where the gold comes in. I rarely ever use gold, but I have over 112k in reserves. If I know that my opponent is stream sniping, that is when I use it. I do not like using gold for just day-to-day game play. Also, for emergencies, like when my capitol is about to be taken.

On Twitch, viewers can donate to the streamer in the form of subs or bits. They can also redeem channel points if they want the streamer to use gold. I think this is a great way to combat stream sniping!

4) I am glad there are different game modes for different players. I like the faster game play. I think there should be 1x, 4x, and 8x games available at all times! I like to take the opponent by surprise, and not have to wait 2 hours to do a follow up order. I do not believe that faster game speed eliminates "Grand Strategy", but feel free to elaborate on this.
      and here is the crux of the problem. Who gives a swut about what other people watch? Who gives a ostrich fart what other people think if you just executed a stunning invasion???
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

thchozen0ne wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

Glad you brought those points up:1) The stream I linked in my original post demonstrates that there is plenty of action in CoN, as long as you are savvy enough to catch it, and are able to play for a few hours at a time.

and here is the crux of the problem. Who gives a swut about what other people watch? Who gives a ostrich fart what other people think if you just executed a stunning invasion???
      I am not sure, but what I think you meant to say was something along the line of

"The reason why people do not stream this game is because they care about revealing their troop positions to their opponents."

I guess I am the only person who plays CoN who cares about streaming more than the game itself! I am the only person who has found solutions to the problems inherent to streaming CoN.

I am also the only one who cares to watch CoN streams on Twitch. I would happily step out of the way and just be a viewer (and perhaps gift 10 subs) to someone else, who was willing to stream this game at least a couple times per week, provide live commentary, provide a webcam, interact with the audience, and also know what they are doing when they play CoN. But alas, nobody but me does that.

As long as this game remains nonexistent on Twitch, stream sniping will never be a problem.

If stream sniping is such an issue, why is it, that when I announce to everyone in my game that I am going live, nobody tunes in to see where all my troops are?

So even tho people might be discouraged from streaming CoN for the reason you mentioned, rest assured, it is not a problem. I have actually conducted the experiment and concluded that it isn't.
    • Countering stream sniping with use of gold on your side is quite an odd premise.

How ever the only really interesting matches are likely happening in Elite Challenges, where there is not gold by default.

How ever the level and skill differentiates still greatly even between 'experienced' alliances.

A huge naval invasion just does not have that much impression, if the opponent only plays half-assed and lets it happen because of that.

Do you now want streaming to stay not popular to keep it at no stream sniping or do want it to get popular, which will increase likeliness of stream sniping?

I suspect CON is more a game for YouTube-Videos with the compressed high lights of a match, though that would afford a lot of effort.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kalrakh ().

• Kalrakh wrote:

Countering stream sniping with use of gold on your side is quite an odd premise.

How ever the only really interesting matches are likely happening in Elite Challenges, where there is not gold by default.

How ever the level and skill differentiates still greatly even between 'experienced' alliances.

A huge naval invasion just does not have that much impression, if the opponent only plays half-assed and lets it happen because of that. "
      Consider that most streamers of Any game on Twitch are not even in the top 5% of players of their game. To say "well, the stream is not interesting because you are not in the top 1% of players" is absurd.

Also consider the fact that more than 50% of players who join a new CoN game don't even know the basics of game mechanics. Streams are a great way for those players to learn. You don't have to be a Grandmaster to teach beginners. (I have over 9 years experience teaching chess!)

I have more streams on my YouTube VODs channel besides that one, and I upload them to YouTube before 60 days from the time they are streamed to Twitch, so more streams are on the way.

So, I am not exactly sure what you want in a stream.

I invite anyone who is better than me at CoN to do 2 streams of CoN, at least 1 hour each. I will support their Twitch channel whole-heartedly!
    • In a game like LOL the opponent still tends to something, when you fight him to death, so there is still action happening.

In CON it can easily happen, that there will be no to hardly any action happening on one side, which is hardly interesting and does unlikely teach anything worthwile.

I streamed one or two challenges while I was leading PK, though I lack the qualities of an entertainer to brigde the 'low action parts' of a match, I am afraid.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

In a game like LOL the opponent still tends to something, when you fight him to death, so there is still action happening.

In CON it can easily happen, that there will be no to hardly any action happening on one side, which is hardly interesting and does unlikely teach anything worthwile.

I streamed one or two challenges while I was leading PK, though I lack the qualities of an entertainer to brigde the 'low action parts' of a match, I am afraid. "
      What is your Twitch / YouTube? I will follow / subscribe!

So if you find most happenings in CoN to not be interesting, then why do you play?

From the point of view of a player who already knows how to play well, it may not teach a lesson. But to a beginner player watching the stream, I am sure it can show a lot about how the game is played!

Obviously not all streams will be one sided. I did not consider that invasion to be a complete blowout at all, although I did capture all my opponent's homeland cities in the end! And he had a really good defense! In that stream, he did fight back. He lauched a ballistic missile which took out a lot of my infantry! It's not like he was inactive the whole time. And even if he was, I still would consider it a very entertaining stream, to breach thru all of his defenses! :)
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Simple:
      I play for the challenges, to meet alliances who are not entirely pushovers and know what they are doing.

Publics tend to bore me to death, I only play them if I get asked to, though often not very actively.
      Golders tend to be the only challenge you meet on a public, sadly. "
      Ah! Glad to hear it! :)

But I'm sure you represent only the top 1% of players, if that.

Different reasons for different people, which is good! I am hoping to find players who are as passionate about streaming (or viewing live streams) as they are about CoN.

Personally, I want to see action from players who are better than me (altho they don't have to be better, necessarily), and from streamers who interact with the audience. YouTube just doesn't do it for me. I don't get to see much live action, and I cannot interact with the broadcaster. In the comments section, maybe, assuming they reply.

But it's just not the same as commenting on what is happening, live! And because CoN is a marathon, not a sprint, streamers who stream the game once "One-And-Done" are not as satisfying. That is something that I believe CoN is missing!