stacking penalty - splash damage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Kalrakh wrote:

The problem is, experienced player will use patrol and then your MAAV are as usefull as a stack of toaster

Even in case of a direct attack, both stacks will suffer the full attack of the strikers. The MAAV won't absorb anything in damage, if they are in a seperate stack.
      My first game I had two stacks with MAA in a caravan line ... they were close enough for the anti-air bubbles to reach the other stack... but I think only one stack took the hit from strike fighters and both triggered...so, 3 hits. That was my first game so a little fuzzy on the details but I think that's what happened.

You could have 2 stacks split 50/50 arty/antiair.... but you don't get the kill-reload time for 10 arty. I would try 3/7 and 7/3... hit first with 3/7 and then try to have 7 arty hit for the kill and get the large kill tick reload

If an air unit is on patrol and you give an attack command to MAA will it work? Or is that not an option?... is the patrol radius too long?...

The post was edited 2 times, last by Smallsword ().

• I think the design failure is with the patrol circle and the attack itself. Let me explian.

If a fighter is on patrol and his patrol circle overlaps with active AA circle you get the aa attack tick ever full 10 minutes servertime: so first: 1:00, second 1:10, third 1:20
      The AA attack tick also triggers, when a Fighters attack directly a unit within the red AA attack circle.
      The AA attack tick does not triggers, when a Fighters attacks on patrol a unit within the red AA attack circle.

So to get a clear and comprehensible system behaviour, the system should trigger the aa attack tick, when the patrol of a fighters starts or when a unit is within the attack at 1:00...to prevent overflying objects...

This would prevent:

1. Scouting without taking damage
      2. Attacking with patrol without triggering the active AA tick of the defender.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Smallsword wrote:

Damn.

The "hit and run" of the air.

Better then to have some ASF above your arty.

This patrol tactic makes me value frigates even more...I had no idea about it...I've used patrol to stretch range that extra inch but never thought of it for H&R.
      This is even worse. The ASF dont defend within the patrol circle. They only attack. so if you are lucky they attack in the moment the other airplaner enters their circle. But I never had this luck. I had ASF circling over my units...the ground units eat shit and the fighters patrols happily ever after.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • About circumventing overstacking...

It's one of those things where i can't say you are wrong because it will work in a public game. And i've learned to not bother too much time to debate endlessly of the fact that "yes, against people that know how to play, it doesn't work", since people are not interested at all in that.

So yeah, in your public game, good idea,. Unlikely any of your opponent will have artilleries or spec ops anyway, even less understand what splash damage is.

Hooooweveeeerrr, if some day you are faced with someone you hear is decent at the game, do think twice.

My general reaction on if you should rely or consider this viable against your peers outside public games :

Kalrakh has explained a bit more in depth why.

I would add that my concern would be more about enduring an artillery strike in such a context. In challenges, those things happen already too much in chokepoints ^^
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Smallsword wrote:

Damn.

The "hit and run" of the air.

Better then to have some ASF above your arty.

This patrol tactic makes me value frigates even more...I had no idea about it...I've used patrol to stretch range that extra inch but never thought of it for H&R.
      This is even worse. The ASF dont defend within the patrol circle. They only attack. so if you are lucky they attack in the moment the other airplaner enters their circle. But I never had this luck. I had ASF circling over my units...the ground units eat shit and the fighters patrols happily ever after.
      There must be a sweet spot for an aircover patrol...I Imagine slightly in front of the ground stack to engage the attacker well before it reaches the target...
      I usually issue an attack command when I see an air radar signature en route to my arty... Haven't really relied on the patrol kicking in... just patrol to have the ASF in the right general locale.

If a stack ordered to patrol engages an enemy plane before it reaches it's patrol point does it return to the airbase or continue on to its destination?
      I feel like I've seen it both ways...