stacking penalty - splash damage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• stacking penalty - splash damage

Hi,

Its an open secret, that there are severe penalties when you have units to close to each other an you receive splash damage during the defense. Even worse when they are on the same position.

Question: Does this only apply to my own units or also to allied units on the same spot. Say My Troops and the ones from my ally are defending the same position?
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • My observations concerning this type of thing: 1) disembarking transports which arrive at the harbor at different times will not stack. If one transport is attacked, all will take damage as if they alone were attacked. 2) If AA units are located very close to other units, but not on the same point, you will suffer the full AA point defense, even if you attack the nearby stacks. If the AA is close enough, all attacks are treated as a direct attack on the AA, for purposes of defensive fire.

It seems any given point on the map has a small radius. I've yet to see "splash" damage outside this small radius, other than with missiles. Can you stack allies on the same point without splash damage? I'm fairly certain I've seen this one time. Here's the rule I use until it is disproven: Units which cannot stack together will not suffer splash damage if on the same point as an attacked unit. Units which CAN stack together, and don't for some reason (sea transports arriving at different times), will suffer the full force of any attack against any unit on the point.
    • Some units will automacially declare war on neutrals with their splash damage like artillery and missile, other feature like melee combat will not cause splash damage, as long the other units are not in war with either combatant, if I recall correctly.

Missiles will also cause damage to allied units in their area of effect, or at least are supposed to do.
    • i cannot confirm your observation. An airunit on the ground gets the same damage as the groundunit from the attacker. It even gets double the damage because it doesn not stay passive to defend like the groudn unit but attacks (and unforutnatly not with his airraid stats but with the groudn units stats)

Which amkes planes on the groudn twice as vulnerable
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • I did had echoes of such a behaviour, while never experimenting them myself.

Maybe we should do a agreggated report of current inconsistencies, and hold it together (community side, i mean) so that we can sometimes push it back to the devs.

Often, the problem is less that they don't want to fix it, but that they don't have either the time or the ability to replicate, and it gets eaten alive by more pressing tasks.

When it comes to combat, it's often non-game breaking bugs that can be pretty subtle.

And by subtle i mean : sometimes, even we players are not sure if it's a bug or a design.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

I did had echoes of such a behaviour, while never experimenting them myself.

Maybe we should do a agreggated report of current inconsistencies, and hold it together (community side, i mean) so that we can sometimes push it back to the devs.

Often, the problem is less that they don't want to fix it, but that they don't have either the time or the ability to replicate, and it gets eaten alive by more pressing tasks.

When it comes to combat, it's often non-game breaking bugs that can be pretty subtle.

And by subtle i mean : sometimes, even we players are not sure if it's a bug or a design.
      The lack of combat reports it the core problem with indentifying such flaws in the combat systems.

sometimes after all you do not even get a notification of a combat happening
      I had games, where I checked out a stack of mine, and realised it has gotten beaten down from unknown sources
    • Correct thats exactly the behaviuorI see a lot. And other thing how devs can replicate the behaviuor:

Someone is attackignt he city. And whiel the battle last on, the production of a airunit is ready. This unit goes directyl into the fight and eats shit. Really lots of it. And I have seen it happen with small untis liek infantry attacking my city not dealing much damage on the papaer but ruining the fresh helicopter.

And with splash damage I eman the area damage that results from a melle attack. so we are talking strick melee on this point.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Correct thats exactly the behaviuorI see a lot. And other thing how devs can replicate the behaviuor:

Someone is attackignt he city. And whiel the battle last on, the production of a airunit is ready. This unit goes directyl into the fight and eats shit. Really lots of it. And I have seen it happen with small untis liek infantry attacking my city not dealing much damage on the papaer but ruining the fresh helicopter.

And with splash damage I eman the area damage that results from a melle attack. so we are talking strick melee on this point.
      Are you having an incomprehensibility contest with Kranzegrad?
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • It's precisely because splash damage defines something else that for the sake of simplicity, devs used the same word.

We prefer the use of the word "area of effect", but it you prefer... "every single unit that attacks, be it ranged or close combat or bombing", has a "splash" of 2, aka "if things are on top or another or very close to each other.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Splash damage in general sense is 'damage that splashs over', so hits units you did not expect to hit (as a new player).

Missiles and Patrol have both area of effect, because they hit everything inside of that area. But no damage will 'splash' between units that are very close to each other.
      Missile are more like a patrol attack in how they work, in my opinion. :)
    • To the very real threat of giving your opponent a multiplied damaged boost over yourself if you get hit, since damages are not shared,they are repeated.

Circumventing overstacking should be done with consideration of what there is to lose.

You have 20 infantries and do 20 *1 groups of infantries ? A wing of 4 gunships will kill 20 infantries in a single patrol.
    • Understood. BUT, consider how much damage a wing of strikers would take from a 10-stack of MAA, BEFORE they could inflict damage on a stack of artillery that was at range 2 from the MAA. I'm thinking the HUGE MAA point defense will make even the repeated damage done by the surviving strikers negligible in comparison. Also, the big stack of MAA has so many hit points, it can absorb the damage easily.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Blitzkrieger64 ().