Adding Albania as a Playable Nation

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• basedshqiptar wrote:

I have been playing Conflict of Nations for a while now, and I am very pleased with the simplicity of the mechanics and the positive community.

However, I very much wished to play as Albania, and was unable to; I feel as if it should be added. Israel is a smaller country in size than Albania, but it is still playable nonetheless.

If the issue is with being able to fit cities inside it, that can still be solved. If Greater Serbia is an option outside of the regular WW3 mode, then I believe Greater Albania should also be one, with cities in Montenegro, Kosovo, Greece, and Macedonia.

If that is still not possible, I have noticed that it can fit 3 cities, which is fine, because players using Albania can expand and annex more cities as they go (perhaps it can be put in Cold War, because it was the most communistic country in Europe.)

Please take this idea into consideration, as I believe it will appeal to a lot more players.

I have no dog in this fight (don't care if Dorado does it or not), however,

... I don't think it is an outrageous suggestion to hypotheticize that YOU have a Homefield bias: Pro-Albania. ... Now, supposing that is true, consider for a minute, that you can see that and can now view the situation without that bias. OK, so now, ask yourself, which country affects the world stage the most, Israel or Albania?

You now have your answer why Israel is a playable country.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Balkan is just fine as is and very interesting in Flashpoint map. Problem is they consider Flashpoint only as tutorial map so usually end up populated with AI mostly.
      If they would create same Flashpoint map (no changes) but a version with lvl2 requirement it would be great.

Regarding request to play as Albania... I would give players option to play with one-city nation if they wish and have eg lvl15 at least (and security council active).
      But unfortunately Albania is too small to have more than 2 cities. Even second city is too much.
      5 cities Albania...then Germany has to be 12 cities country, Serbia 7, Greece 8 etc.

If you create Albania with 5 cities, why not N. Macedonia? Bosnia? Slovakia?
      There's no end if you start.

But let's give them option to play with on-city nation.
      I imagine playing with Malta invading France or Turkey while they are busy when your only resource is money 8o
      Hence I want to play as "Putin's palace" in Flashpoint :D
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

basedshqiptar wrote:

I have been playing Conflict of Nations for a while now, and I am very pleased with the simplicity of the mechanics and the positive community.

However, I very much wished to play as Albania, and was unable to; I feel as if it should be added. Israel is a smaller country in size than Albania, but it is still playable nonetheless.

If the issue is with being able to fit cities inside it, that can still be solved. If Greater Serbia is an option outside of the regular WW3 mode, then I believe Greater Albania should also be one, with cities in Montenegro, Kosovo, Greece, and Macedonia.

If that is still not possible, I have noticed that it can fit 3 cities, which is fine, because players using Albania can expand and annex more cities as they go (perhaps it can be put in Cold War, because it was the most communistic country in Europe.)

Please take this idea into consideration, as I believe it will appeal to a lot more players.

I have no dog in this fight (don't care if Dorado does it or not), however,
      ... I don't think it is an outrageous suggestion to hypotheticize that YOU have a Homefield bias: Pro-Albania. ... Now, supposing that is true, consider for a minute, that you can see that and can now view the situation without that bias. OK, so now, ask yourself, which country affects the world stage the most, Israel or Albania?

I agree with you here, DoD... the reason why Israel is playable is the same reason why North and South Korea are - because they are 'significant' countries. I would have no problem with adding Albania, but they would also need to add countries like Sudan, Panama, Croatia, Somalia, Botswana, etc... that are way more 'significant' than Albania.

"... I don't think it is an outrageous suggestion to hypotheticize that YOU have a Homefield bias: Pro-Albania. ..."

--> I feel for him, I would love it if Czechia was added...
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • If Dorado wants to convert any location into a playable country they can, obviously. For example, if Cuba can build an aircraft carrier, Albania can have enough cities and provinces to be a human-playable position.

But, in some ways Dorado does try to be sort-of faithful to real life. So - In the same way that I'm disappointed that my home state in the USA is blended with other states in the BG USA map, Albanians might continue to be disappointed that their country is blended with other countries in their region.
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

YOU have a Homefield bias: Pro-Albania. ... Now, supposing that is true, consider for a minute, that you can see that and can now view the situation without that bias. OK, so now, ask yourself, which country affects the world stage the most, Israel or Albania?

I do not have a problem with Israel being a playable nation at all. But like I said, most of these responses stem from the fact Albania may be too small to fit cities in; this can be worked around, because Israel is smaller than Albania and yet it still has multiple cities within itself. I do not deny Israel's influence over world affairs, but games like Rise of Nations work around this issue.

PS: I think a "Balkan Expansion" gamemode would be quite interesting, if my suggestion is not possible for Flashpoint or Cold War.

Tifo_14 wrote:

but they would also need to add countries like Sudan, Panama, Croatia, Somalia, Botswana, etc... that are way more 'significant' than Albania.
      Croatia is playable. Sudan has the adequate size to fit cities inside. As for Somalia and Botswana , I have no problem with their incorporation. In fact, in the recent Zombies gamemode, there were 100 different nations to play as! Some do not even exist, thus ruling out the "significance" argument.

Tifo_14 wrote:

--> I feel for him, I would love it if Czechia was added...
      In Flashpoint, Czechia is playable! Not to worry.

GeneralLangmoen wrote:

but at the same time I think the Balkans should be more interesting, because in real life it is one of the most intense regions.

This is one of the bases of my argument.

Zemunelo wrote:

5 cities Albania...then Germany has to be 12 cities country, Serbia 7, Greece 8 etc.
      This would not make sense; Albania is not a nuclear superpower. It would not put others at a direct disadvantage.

Zemunelo wrote:

If you create Albania with 5 cities, why not N. Macedonia? Bosnia? Slovakia?
      This is a very good point; which is why I would suggest the incorporation of a new "Balkan-based" gamemode.
      (P.S. Macedonia is not its own country in WWIII, like Montenegro, it is part of Serbia simply to make Serbia playable.)