Submarine change

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • I paired this submarine stack with this frigate stack and I went around sinking cruisers and destroyers... as well as downing strike fighters/bombers/helicopters
      The experience really enhanced my understanding of how to use subs... and how they are represented as anti-ship vessels in the game...
      In particular, I was previously unaware that they get a 25% attack stat increase when in deep water... that was killer.

    • Smallsword wrote:

      I paired this submarine stack with this frigate stack and I went around sinking cruisers and destroyers... as well as downing strike fighters/bombers/helicopters
      The experience really enhanced my understanding of how to use subs... and how they are represented as anti-ship vessels in the game...
      In particular, I was previously unaware that they get a 25% attack stat increase when in deep water... that was killer.


      Yep, thats how you do it :thumbsup:
      Submarines and frigates are so complementary to each other…not much can beat that duo

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Aeneas of Troy ().

    • That was the flagship flotilla... but I had two other flotillas in addition... one additional offensive with pure stacks of 5 frig 5 sub... and a homeland defense of 5 subs lead - two 5 frig stacks in back...+ solo frigs + solo sub for early warning and encirclement.

      It was really effective ... I had so many strong navies to contend with simultaneously.... this build made it possible.
      @Aeneas of Troy

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Smallsword ().

    • Smallsword wrote:

      That was the flagship flotilla... but I had two other flotillas in addition... one additional offensive with pure stacks of 5 frig 5 sub... and a homeland defense of 5 subs lead - two 5 stack frig stacks in back...+ solo frig + solo sub for early warning and encirclement.

      It was really effective ... I had so many strong navies to contend with simultaneously.... this build made it possible.
      @Aeneas of Troy
      In what Game Day was all of his happening? How long did it take you to build all of that hardware (in addition to building any/everything else in your OOB)?
    • @KFGauss
      I wanted to keep exact notes for the other thread!
      I took them for day 20 and misplaced the paper...
      I just looked at the game and I think I had that set up day 25-27


      My Sub officer finished on day 22... that was kind of the last major piece... then upgrades and a few additional naval units

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Smallsword ().

    • Aeneas of Troy wrote:

      Smallsword wrote:

      I paired this submarine stack with this frigate stack and I went around sinking cruisers and destroyers... as well as downing strike fighters/bombers/helicopters
      The experience really enhanced my understanding of how to use subs... and how they are represented as anti-ship vessels in the game...
      In particular, I was previously unaware that they get a 25% attack stat increase when in deep water... that was killer.


      Yep, thats how you do it :thumbsup: Submarines and frigates are so complementary to each other…not much can beat that duo

      Except for choppers, they will totally devestate you :)
    • I haven't had the pleasure or misfortune of playing against a serious helicopter meta-build...
      It clearly would require its own counter measures.

      The nice thing about have 15+ frigates is to merge and heal them... though I tend to either not get hit or lose one to a single hit from a cruiser stack.
      15+ subs have the merge benefit of numbers but also have the halved HP in healing waters... so that's a bit better.
      Naval Officers are really the ones that suffer from slow healing.

      Attack subs wouldn't be my first choice if there wasn't a naval threat... but when all the ships are gone they still carry 2 CMs each... not bad, certainly not completely useless.

      This game as the UK was heavily naval... apart from myself, the most active/experienced/skilled players were all in one coalition... 4 of them had destroyer/cruiser builds leveled up... and multiple navy base 3-4s to crank them out.
      They also had strike fighters and heavy bombers... they started making gunships near the tipping point of the war to deal with my SAM and pick off my infantry, that was it for helicopters thus far.
      I've lost one frigate but downed many planes and sunk many ships...and I have one confirmed gunship killed by frigates :P haha

      In general, the encounters I've had between helicopters and frigates have gone in my favor... but never were they ASW... rarely were they attack... and gunships aren't really effective outside of damage distribution.

      @Kalrakh
      As a helicopter master, would you specially prepare ASW if you knew your opponent had a frig/sub navy?... or would you counter it with your own navy and the general gunship/attack heli that you'd have already?
    • I only get navy if I go full navy. So the most I would get with a full chopper build, would be carriers, so I would go for ASW to fight of those subs and frigs at the same time :)

      Mixed stack of Ace, Attack, Elite Attack and ASW to take care of the frigs wirst and clean up subs afterwards, I suppose.

      Even my standard team (Nr. 5) would deal serious damage to frigs with getting not that much back, Nr. 6 would just be a tad more dedicated to the job:
      CON Choppers.png


      'Luckily' most people are unaware how strong choppers are and go for strikers, who are fancier and easier to handle.

      Even less people even own the Elite Attack Choppers, I suspect.


      Do you really mean gunships or did you mean attack choppers? Gunships are very odd selection to deal with SAMs 8|
    • I don't think they had built the gunships specifically for the SAMs... just had them. That's all I know, really... I suspect they built them for soft targets such as my towed artillery which murdered over 100 of their ground units... but I didn't see them until they sent them after my SAM and TA... I think it was more of a response build like "Oh shit, the heavy bombers aren't doing so well and the strike fighters even worse. There aren't very many of either anymore, better make gunships to avoid the SAM and hit the TA"... and I think they desperately wanted to get rid of the SAM to make room for their more abundant and leveled up fixed wing.

      The modified amount for #6 is significant... that's basically 1.33 frigs or 1.5 subs per hit.

      The Sub/Frig build would obviously be aiming to destroy the carrier. They wouldn't last long without taking that meaningful objective.... the coast is another story entirely.

      Really interesting... Thanks for sharing that chart and your insight @Kalrakh makes me want to play another non-naval game.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Smallsword ().

    • Smallsword wrote:

      @KFGauss
      I wanted to keep exact notes for the other thread!
      I took them for day 20 and misplaced the paper...
      I just looked at the game and I think I had that set up day 25-27


      My Sub officer finished on day 22... that was kind of the last major piece... then upgrades and a few additional naval units
      Thanks - Don't forget that experience showed me that I really needed to collect the info once every 3-5 days throughout the first 20-30 days of the (next) game.

      Writing it down was a little bit of a chore, but not really. I definitely enjoyed (and benefitted from) seeing the evolving history for our 5-person coalition.