Funny Articles: Fun or Irritating?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Funny Articles: Fun or Irritating?

For some reason, I can see the humor in just about everything. In every game that I've played, I post an article that tells a news report of what's happening, but I don't tell it literally as being a war report. I describe what's happening on the battlefield as if it were an everyday event. For example, when Norway, Sweden, and Italy invaded Germany this past October, I described it as tourists converging on Bavaria for Oktoberfest.

I never trash talk anyone. I don't suggest that I'm about to kick everyone's ass. But, some people still really take my news reports badly. I'm in a game where I play Mexico, and Iran had just declared war on me. I posted this article, and the Iran player went BERZERK:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Battle of the Flags Underway!

For as long as civilization has existed, nations have had disagreements. Now, it’s getting serious. Mexico and Iran are having a contest to see which country does the red, white, and green flag the best.

“Obviously, the colors should be horizontal,” said the representative from Iran. “And, the colors should start with green at the top.”

“I don’t know what they’re talking about,” said the representative from Mexico.” The stripes should be vertical, with green on the left.”

When asked what they thought of the Italian flag, the Mexican representative shrugged. “They’ve got the colors right, but where is the eagle, or some other cool illustration?”

Time will tell which flag will prevail.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This prompted a flame war, with dozens of threats and obscenities posted by the Iran player. And, they didn't just message me. They posted their rants as articles. This is not the first time someone got pissed off, but it was the most extreme reaction.

Does posting silly articles piss you off? I'm guessing some think articles should be reserved for serious things.
    • I remember one time someone asked me to help him and answer a few questions he had on the game. Problem is : he wasn't seeking for any advice, he was just hoping to show off whatever small knowledge he had. When i pointed that he didn't really needed me for that, he insulted me and spammed me of death threats.

There are a LOT of frustrated kids on the game, people that vent off to cope with their IRL. It's not you, it's just that it's an environment similar to what you would get on Xbox live : kiddos can say they banged your mom, and so they will do.

Dealer of Death does write a lot of such articles, doesn't care : some appreciate it.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Moon Tsu wrote:

For some reason, I can see the humor in just about everything. In every game that I've played, I post an article that tells a news report of what's happening, but I don't tell it literally as being a war report. I describe what's happening on the battlefield as if it were an everyday event. For example, when Norway, Sweden, and Italy invaded Germany this past October, I described it as tourists converging on Bavaria for Oktoberfest.

I never trash talk anyone. I don't suggest that I'm about to kick everyone's ass. But, some people still really take my news reports badly. I'm in a game where I play Mexico, and Iran had just declared war on me. I posted this article, and the Iran player went BERZERK:

Battle of the Flags Underway!

For as long as civilization has existed, nations have had disagreements. Now, it’s getting serious. Mexico and Iran are having a contest to see which country does the red, white, and green flag the best.

“Obviously, the colors should be horizontal,” said the representative from Iran. “And, the colors should start with green at the top.”

“I don’t know what they’re talking about,” said the representative from Mexico.” The stripes should be vertical, with green on the left.”

When asked what they thought of the Italian flag, the Mexican representative shrugged. “They’ve got the colors right, but where is the eagle, or some other cool illustration?”

Time will tell which flag will prevail.

This prompted a flame war, with dozens of threats and obscenities posted by the Iran player. And, they didn't just message me. They posted their rants as articles. This is not the first time someone got pissed off, but it was the most extreme reaction.

Does posting silly articles piss you off? I'm guessing some think articles should be reserved for serious things.
      I self stylize myself The King of CoN News.
      Most of my articles are purely for making people laugh, and like yours, center around game events, but usually with a totally off the wall spin. Some however I pull entirely out of my ass and have nothing to do with what is actually going on, OR may be the exact opposite of what is happening.

Since it seems most people enjoy them, and I have gotten to be friends with many, solely due to the amusement my articles bring, and I enjoy writing them, so I continue to do so. In fact, of those that don't, most who have tried to engage me as you say Iran did, by getting emotional and vile. rue the day they try. Usually I can make them look even sillier without crossing the line. BUT, sometimes it is a tightrope walk, staying on the side of what is acceptable. Even I have had like 1 or 2 removed. It is far better to infer, suggest, and lead an audience to what you wanted to say, rather than come out with straight, rude insults that almost certainly are against the TOS.

Rarely do I ever target any one person tho, and only after they have targeted me. I have even exasperated at least 2-3 players so badly they have quit, without me firing a shot on them. But I also make insane claims, like making giant battleships, and even make fun of myself once in a while.

If you want to see a nice sample of my work, peruse this thread:
      News From My Latest Game
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • The art of the insult is that, indeed, it doesn't look like an insult in the first place.

You eldeberry smelling hamster.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.