Dorado should tailor the game to me and my playstyle

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dorado should tailor the game to me and my playstyle

Seems like most of the suggestions lately are people trying to get the game changed to overcome their deficiencies, match their playstyle, help them deal with a strategy that keeps leaving them dead, or rewards them for not playing as much as someone else.

So, in that vein, I am a suggesting some DoD-centric changes:

1.) Provide all my (only mine) territories, cities and units with impenetrable, invulnerable shields when I am offline.
      2.) Give me (and only me) a targeter and a "kill unit" button. Center target on unit(s), press button, boom- all insta-dead.
      3.) Provide me (just me, not even Teburu) with a "Win Game" button, which instantly kills all units worldwide that aren't mine and turns all cities and territories to my control, then advances the clock to midnight and gives me the win.

Just these few changes should greatly enhance the game and prevent me from throwing a fit about leaving, or not spending money, making my own game, etc.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Smallsword wrote:

There's already a precious metal you could do all that with.

Stop complaining. The game is perfect.
      You obviously don't understand points Y, X, and R. I am discussing improvements, not complaining.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Smallsword wrote:

You should be like me and play public games a lot... have that shape your game paradigm... and then make suggestions for changes so you don't slaughter everyone as easily.
      Oh that one is easy

Step 1: increase player activity
      Step 2: Actually teach people how to play the game

congratulations you suddenly increased the average skilllevel in public games by a factor close to infinity
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Smallsword wrote:

Step 2: Actually teach people how to play the game.

Having a game mode that teaches players all the attk and def bonus' of each unit would go a long way to helping people enjoy the game.

I'm still discovering little things about units I hadn't noticed before. Like attack subs in shallow waters have 50% hp's AND a -25% attack/-25%def.

Some units have this bonus displayed in the little bar (inf in cities show +25% for example) but most bonus' and penalties do not appear there.
    • Tumbler wrote:

Teburu wrote:

Smallsword wrote:

Having a game mode that teaches players all the attk and def bonus' of each unit would go a long way to helping people enjoy the game.
      I'm still discovering little things about units I hadn't noticed before. Like attack subs in shallow waters have 50% hp's AND a -25% attack/-25%def.

Some units have this bonus displayed in the little bar (inf in cities show +25% for example) but most bonus' and penalties do not appear there.
      Not sure how many people would even have the patience to even experience such a lengthy tutorial.
      Most people hardly even read anything of the wiki, I would imagine.

Also I know DoDs secret 4):
      Nerf the MRL

:whistling:
    • Tumbler wrote:

Teburu wrote:

Smallsword wrote:

This gamemode you’re looking for is called „school“ it’s where you’re taught to read
      With like one or two exceptions all those values can be found by utilizing the acquired „reading“ skill on a units description page
    • "This gamemode you’re looking for is called „school“ it’s where you’re taught to read
      With like one or two exceptions all those values can be found by utilizing the acquired „reading“ skill on a units description page" @Teburu

I don't know about all that. Someone who can read may say "Me no like numbers."

The game does ask a lot of a player ... and it has all these little pictures which make everything somehow more confusing.

I've taking you up on your advice about tutoring other players in public games... which I would usually reserve for a newish player I've allied with in a game.... tutoring your enemy is so counter intuitive to me.

I think the big learning curve is how to assess what buildings someone has and deduce what they can mobilize... and to use the news ... understanding what everyone has in the beginning of the game...and how to adapt attacks/defense/strategies to the information available.... it's not so much in reading... it's in critical thinking... maybe its even algebra ... If (Nation) has (X building) they may have (Y units) on (day z) ... yah know what I mean?
      Know your enemy.
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Seems like most of the suggestions lately are people trying to get the game changed to overcome their deficiencies, match their playstyle, help them deal with a strategy that keeps leaving them dead, or rewards them for not playing as much as someone else.

So, in that vein, I am a suggesting some DoD-centric changes:

1.) Provide all my (only mine) territories, cities and units with impenetrable, invulnerable shields when I am offline.
      2.) Give me (and only me) a targeter and a "kill unit" button. Center target on unit(s), press button, boom- all insta-dead.
      3.) Provide me (just me, not even Teburu) with a "Win Game" button, which instantly kills all units worldwide that aren't mine and turns all cities and territories to my control, then advances the clock to midnight and gives me the win.

Just these few changes should greatly enhance the game and prevent me from throwing a fit about leaving, or not spending money, making my own game, etc.
      Let’s make a compromise

Everything you said is implemented, you become god-like

BUT
      Extensive MRL nerf (Your own MRL are unaffected)

Also now that you mention changing the game, I need to make a thread about how Radar detection works and how to improve it
      Yee Haw
    • Smallsword wrote:

"This gamemode you’re looking for is called „school“ it’s where you’re taught to read
      With like one or two exceptions all those values can be found by utilizing the acquired „reading“ skill on a units description page" @Teburu

I don't know about all that. Someone who can read may say "Me no like numbers."

The game does ask a lot of a player ... and it has all these little pictures which make everything somehow more confusing.

I've taking you up on your advice about tutoring other players in public games... which I would usually reserve for a newish player I've allied with in a game.... tutoring your enemy is so counter intuitive to me.

I think the big learning curve is how to assess what buildings someone has and deduce what they can mobilize... and to use the news ... understanding what everyone has in the beginning of the game...and how to adapt attacks/defense/strategies to the information available.... it's not so much in reading... it's in critical thinking... maybe its even algebra ... If (Nation) has (X building) they may have (Y units) on (day z) ... yah know what I mean?
      Know your enemy.
      nobody expects you to read all unit descriptions tho;
      knowing where to find the info is like 10% of the battle, actually being willing to look it up is the rest of the 90%

cuz frankly having an extra gamemode "that would players all the attk and def bonus' of each unit" would be
      a) boring as fuck
      b) nobody even reads the unit description what makes you think anyone will play through all the tutorials and
      c) whole point of a tutorial is to present the info you need in a quick and concise way; an extra gamemode is none of that

The post was edited 1 time, last by Teburu ().

• I agree. @Teburu

The game doesn't need another tutorial.

It needs players that want to learn the game.
      If someone learns something 5 months later than they could have ...at least they learned it at some point.

My first game I studied the unit menu and charted my resource budget and studied the news... so I won.
      Being somewhat versed in strategy games and history helped a lot... but sometimes it made my gameplay worse...
      The game is a world unto itself and the best way to learn it is to "live" in it... a better tutorial wont give you the same result.
    • Tumbler wrote:

What do you mean another tutorial?

Where is the first one?

And you'd probably only need to go into detail on a few units, infantry, tds and national guard for example.
      The tutorial is "in-game"
      You can access it by clicking on the icon with a woman in the upper-righthand corner of the map.
      It just explains how to play. It doesn't explain every unit.

I think I understand what you're saying... because I don't remember the tutorial going into detail about terrain stats.
      My first game I made an anti-tank as my first piece of armor (outside of the recon the tutorial made me build)...
      I thought it would attack from some sort of range, you know, like armor with cannons due... the graphic has a cannon... I was confused when it wasn't "attacking"... then it ran into some infantry and I thought "Ok, well it's armor, it's going to slaughter them anyway." ... I'm sure everyone here is aware of anit-tank stats against infantry...
      I was totally confused about how the engagement went as poorly for me as it did...
      So I studied the game a little more.
      It was something that I just had to learn the hard way and only had to learn once.
    • First of all I would like to congratulate @Dealer of Death for a perfect Troll post. I still dont get the intention of it other than wasting time. But its the way it is...Unfortunatly it was without a picture so I had to read all the text...Please next time meme it for me.

So to all of you noobs I will show you a great feature the devs implemented a year ago...the unit info bar...Incredibly powerful and updates whenever the unit changes terrain.

@dev: it would be great if you could make this expandable and show which damage will be delivered on what distance (f.e. if you have 50 range railgun, meele tanks and 100 range MRL in one stack)

2021-11-29 14_18_18-Conflict of Nations - 4,403,419.png

BTW: I wonder why no SF want to attack me...lol
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Smallsword wrote:

I agree. @Teburu

The game doesn't need another tutorial.

It needs players that want to learn the game.
      If someone learns something 5 months later than they could have ...at least they learned it at some point.

My first game I studied the unit menu and charted my resource budget and studied the news... so I won.
      Being somewhat versed in strategy games and history helped a lot... but sometimes it made my gameplay worse...
      The game is a world unto itself and the best way to learn it is to "live" in it... a better tutorial wont give you the same result.

My alliance recruits.

This half-joke half-serious statement is meant to insist on the fact you are right, but also on the fact the people you describe are rare enough in any community to be considered as strategic resources, Uranium-grade.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • I remain convinced that the main reason for the high player drop-out rates in most public games is this:

THE EARLY GAME IS BORING!

It takes too long to get yourself an interesting variety of units; resources are too scarce, and it takes too long to replenish what you spend in the first hour or so; research times are too long; province construction times are too long; unit mobilization times are too long.

The early game is mostly about waiting. People get bored. People lose interest. They don't come back.
    • This isn't true. Supremacy managed to live for 12 years with an early game where you develop your FIRST unit, the artillery, day 12.

And in comparison, CoW, where you can spam infantries in 30 minutes, have the exact same drop rates and really doesn't do better than CoN or Supremacy.

Good hypothesis (and i thought as much), but it's proven wrong by 5 years of data
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

This isn't true. Supremacy managed to live for 12 years with an early game where you develop your FIRST unit, the artillery, day 12.

And in comparison, CoW, where you can spam infantries in 30 minutes, have the exact same drop rates and really doesn't do better than CoN or Supremacy.

Good hypothesis (and i thought as much), but it's proven wrong by 5 years of data
      Clearly the issue is the lack of buffs to Teburu