Dorado should tailor the game to me and my playstyle

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Opulon wrote:

This isn't true. Supremacy managed to live for 12 years with an early game where you develop your FIRST unit, the artillery, day 12.

And in comparison, CoW, where you can spam infantries in 30 minutes, have the exact same drop rates and really doesn't do better than CoN or Supremacy.

Good hypothesis (and i thought as much), but it's proven wrong by 5 years of data
      I must admit that it surprises me that you say CoN has the exact same drop rates as CoW. I've played both, and my own perception is that CoN is worse in this regard (they're still bad in CoW, but not as bad!). But if you've seen specific data on this, then I defer to that.

Call of War does allow the player to build and use a decent combined arms unit mix within a couple of days of the start; in Conflict of Nations it's more like a week to ten days. And that's if you know that you're doing - if you don't, and you waste resources at the start by researching things you can't build yet, it can take even longer. I would be really surprised if that isn't a major factor in putting people off.

People see the tech tree with helicopters, tanks, fast jets, stealths, cruise missiles, aircraft carriers, etc. and they think, "Wow, this looks cool!" And then they start playing and they realise that all they're actually going to be using for a week or more is infantry and they're probably never going to reach a point where they're utilizing all of it, and they lose interest. I really believe that the game would be much more appealing to a wider audience if a much greater variety of level 1 units could be got up and running and into battle much, much faster.

For people to learn the game, they don't necessarily need a tutorial; they just need to be given access to the damn units so they can try them out!
    • Of course, my message wasn't saying that the early of con wasn't "slow". It's just that it comes with the F2P package. The game needs to create in a arbitrary way this "time gate" for people to feel they "want" to speed up units and tech. It's monetization at the core.

However, i agree with the tutorial or at least a taste of units. The current one is not good.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • A slow start is not that much of a problem, otherwise it would be much harder to defend yourself if you get from multiple sides at once.

For sure it is not the issue for experienced players who know how to handle their economy.

But mid to end game currently pretty much is not existant, because most players joining a map these days are name userxxx corpses who drop out even more likely.
    • WalterChang wrote:

I remain convinced that the main reason for the high player drop-out rates in most public games is this:

THE EARLY GAME IS BORING!

It takes too long to get yourself an interesting variety of units; resources are too scarce, and it takes too long to replenish what you spend in the first hour or so; research times are too long; province construction times are too long; unit mobilization times are too long.

The early game is mostly about waiting. People get bored. People lose interest. They don't come back.
      For me, the early game is the most exciting part!
      Trying to find allies... plotting future enemies demise... more active players (the most at any point in the game)

And the day 1-5 battles are usually with similar units... so you really have to out strategize rather than out build.
    • Smallsword wrote:

Trying to find allies... plotting future enemies demise... more active players (the most at any point in the game)

And the day 1-5 battles are usually with similar units... so you really have to out strategize rather than out build.
      Yeah. The early game is when you get all the Newspaper activity, coalition formation, and such. People RP-ing a bit, making their plans for world domination and seemingly enjoying it.

"Join the NATO coalition, we will protect the small countries from imperialist domination!"
      "No! Join the NEW SOUTH AMERICAN COMMUNISTS! We will bring a new world order!"

And then all of that peters out after about 6 days, once the noobs have realised that they can't actually do any of what they'd planned. Shame.
    • WalterChang wrote:

Smallsword wrote:

Yeah. The early game is when you get all the Newspaper activity, coalition formation, and such. People RP-ing a bit, making their plans for world domination and seemingly enjoying it.
      "Join the NATO coalition, we will protect the small countries from imperialist domination!"
      "No! Join the NEW SOUTH AMERICAN COMMUNISTS! We will bring a new world order!"

And then all of that peters out after about 6 days, once the noobs have realised that they can't actually do any of what they'd planned. Shame.
      In a rare occurence of counter example, my current map is actually pretty fun, but mostly because around 20 guys have remained active (somewhat), and the two main coalitions are not only focusing us

but they are replacing their casualties red army style. They were 10, we killed 8, they are still 10. So... somewhat, it's ... fun :D
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Seems like most of the suggestions lately are people trying to get the game changed to overcome their deficiencies, match their playstyle, help them deal with a strategy that keeps leaving them dead, or rewards them for not playing as much as someone else.

So, in that vein, I am a suggesting some DoD-centric changes:

1.) Provide all my (only mine) territories, cities and units with impenetrable, invulnerable shields when I am offline.
      2.) Give me (and only me) a targeter and a "kill unit" button. Center target on unit(s), press button, boom- all insta-dead.
      3.) Provide me (just me, not even Teburu) with a "Win Game" button, which instantly kills all units worldwide that aren't mine and turns all cities and territories to my control, then advances the clock to midnight and gives me the win.

Just these few changes should greatly enhance the game and prevent me from throwing a fit about leaving, or not spending money, making my own game, etc.
      Think you're the cool kid on the block? Here's my sugg's:
      1. Give Czechia 200 VPs to start with.
      2. Make my (and only my) provinces/cities generate 5x as much resources as normal.
      3. Give all my units bonus HP, speed and smaller embark/debark times.
      4. Give me (and only me) the ability to see everyone else's units.
      5. Give me (and only me) a 'supernuke' that can immediately destroy an enemy army, no matter the size.
      6. Allow me to add extra VPs to any provinces I wish, and to control day changes and victory requirements.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • Tifo_14 wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Seems like most of the suggestions lately are people trying to get the game changed to overcome their deficiencies, match their playstyle, help them deal with a strategy that keeps leaving them dead, or rewards them for not playing as much as someone else.

1.) Provide all my (only mine) territories, cities and units with impenetrable, invulnerable shields when I am offline.
      2.) Give me (and only me) a targeter and a "kill unit" button. Center target on unit(s), press button, boom- all insta-dead.
      3.) Provide me (just me, not even Teburu) with a "Win Game" button, which instantly kills all units worldwide that aren't mine and turns all cities and territories to my control, then advances the clock to midnight and gives me the win.

Just these few changes should greatly enhance the game and prevent me from throwing a fit about leaving, or not spending money, making my own game, etc.
      2. Make my (and only my) provinces/cities generate 5x as much resources as normal.
      5. Give me (and only me) a 'supernuke' that can immediately destroy an enemy army, no matter the size.
      6. Allow me to add extra VPs to any provinces I wish, and to control day changes and victory requirements.

I mean DoD is the cool kid on the block to an extent. Anyone who comes afterwards trying to get the same stuff is going to find nothing
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

I mean DoD is the cool kid on the block to an extent. Anyone who comes afterwards trying to get the same stuff is going to find nothing
      We know, he believes to be the cool kid, but is he though? :whistling:
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Plus my "win button" kinda trumps all his anyhow.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Colonel Waffles wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

We know, he believes to be the cool kid, but is he though? :whistling:
      I don't believe that, but yeah, I kinda am. :)
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Opulon wrote:

This isn't true. Supremacy managed to live for 12 years with an early game where you develop your FIRST unit, the artillery, day 12.

And in comparison, CoW, where you can spam infantries in 30 minutes, have the exact same drop rates and really doesn't do better than CoN or Supremacy.

Good hypothesis (and i thought as much), but it's proven wrong by 5 years of data

Weil I dont think so. In supremacy you get a contant flow of soliders...generated automatically when you have a recruitment center...so players jsut always have something at their hands. with CON they waste the start units and its game over...but most inactives dont even do this...

Smallsword wrote:

WalterChang wrote:

I remain convinced that the main reason for the high player drop-out rates in most public games is this:

THE EARLY GAME IS BORING!

It takes too long to get yourself an interesting variety of units; resources are too scarce, and it takes too long to replenish what you spend in the first hour or so; research times are too long; province construction times are too long; unit mobilization times are too long.

The early game is mostly about waiting. People get bored. People lose interest. They don't come back.
      For me, the early game is the most exciting part!Trying to find allies... plotting future enemies demise... more active players (the most at any point in the game)

You got the point the first day is lots of work. i have to check my neighbours. Whats their rank, whats there stats. Which countries have userxxx (potential expansion plans). Make friendshave a little chitchat 8well liek 15% of users respond).

I have a decent army to attakc with at day 5...Enough Choppers to dominate the early inf rush...but first 5 days is survival mode.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Opulon wrote:

Weil I dont think so. In supremacy you get a contant flow of soliders...generated automatically when you have a recruitment center...so players jsut always have something at their hands. with CON they waste the start units and its game over...but most inactives dont even do this...
      Hmmmm. It's an interesting take, a convincing one
    • The main comparison was COW and CON though, which are more similar in this regard?

Supremacy1914 for sure had three advantages:
      - higher resource production from the start with no limitations for conquered provinces (also easier way to boost those productions?)
      - not a overobundances of provinces to conquer, having to conquer hundreds of provinces can get very boring in CON if you do not have to fight for them
      - permanent production of infantry per day for free, which could speed up if I remember correctly
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

WalterChang wrote:

There are no cool kids on internet forums for strategy war games
      There are cool threads however
      Such as my incredible suggestion for EWA
      Or innovative suggestion for Amphibious Assault Ship
      You want an MRL nerf with that radar rework? You can have it free of charge
      Your EWACS debate thread is literally the reason why they altered the forum rules, lol
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup: