Command and Control

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Command and Control

Let’s talk about Officers for a second. Officers are very strange units. While the research for them is cheap, their value in the game is debatable. They are very strong, destroying most other units in the same class, but there can only be one. Some players may question if it is worth investment, as cheap as the research is, to make a unit just once. This is on top of officers being essentially a one-time mobilization, as later levels are stupidly difficult to replace.
      AWACS is another unit I will mention. While AWACS is a very good unit, I am finding more and more that MR is ultimately more useful, and I would like to balance them out. Because of this, I will suggest a buff to some units with a new ability

Command and Control: Can command units in his army to target an enemy HVT

Units with Command and Control:
      All Officers
      Elite MBT (T2)
      AWACS (T3)

How it works: When a stack contains a unit with the ability, the commanding player will have the option to target a specific unit type when ordering an attack. The targeted unit type will receive all of the attack’s damage, and excess damage is not applied

How it could play out:
      -I am facing a stack of 3 Cruise, 1 DD and 1 frig. I order my stack of 1 Nav Officer and 2 Cruisers to target the frigate specifically so that my NPA can engage. My stack kills the frigate, and my NPA moves in
      -A transport is about to disembark in one of my homeland cities. It contains 3 infantry and 3 MBTs. I respond quickly by stacking my AWACS with 4 NSF and ordering them to strike the infantry transports. After some fighting, the stack arrives in my city with only MBTs and cannot capture it
      -An Air Ace stacked with 4 ASF is facing off against a stack of 3 SF and 2 ASF. They have the option to target the ASF and leave the SF vulnerable, or take out the SF so that the ground units are safe
      -A stack of MRL is rolling through my homeland. It is equipped with a mobile Radar and has ASF patrolling overhead. I don’t have enough units to take out the MRL stack or deal with the ASF, so instead I send a Heli Officer stacked with Attack helicopters to target the Mobile Radar. I lose some helicopters and my Officer is badly damaged, but the MRL stack has lost its radar and is forced to retreat, buying me time to reorganize

How it will benefit the game

-As stated above, officers gain a considerable buff that makes them more valuable
      -Late game AWACS becomes very powerful while still being vulnerable to AA (Remember that you would be sending AWACS at the enemy in order to take advantage of the ability)
      -Adds another layer of tactical planning to the game, opening up new considerations and strategies

Issues:
      -Theoretically alters all units in the game, especially air units like SF, NPA etc. This could change the balance of the game in ways that may be harmful. For example, SAMs could suffer from vulnerability to direct attacks
      -Ability would extend to units not intended to receive them (Sub officer commanding cruisers, infantry officer commanding MRL, etc)
      -Could cause legacy code issues in the damage distribution department
      Yee Haw
    • 1. Is there a schedule for your suggestions yet? If not then you should probably make one eg esch friday one or something like that

2. I dont think the value of officers is debatable? Only really questionable point is replacement of a high lvl one

>a stack with a unit with that ability
      > awacs
      uhm not really a friend of having to have the awac in a stack thats fighting

4. as you’ve mentioned yourself; it would probably make aircraft significantly stronger and well, messing up the current balance in general quite a bit
      I like the idea itself but frankly don’t see it being viable without major changes to gameplay which pretty much out its into the „neat but unrealistic“ category

Your suggestion gave me an idea of my own on how to buff Officers:
      Any of their abilities (stealth, ignore entrenchment, etc) applies to the whole stack instead of just the officer
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

1. Is there a schedule for your suggestions yet? If not then you should probably make one eg esch friday one or something like that

2. I dont think the value of officers is debatable? Only really questionable point is replacement of a high lvl one

>a stack with a unit with that ability
      > awacs
      uhm not really a friend of having to have the awac in a stack thats fighting

4. as you’ve mentioned yourself; it would probably make aircraft significantly stronger and well, messing up the current balance in general quite a bit
      I like the idea itself but frankly don’t see it being viable without major changes to gameplay which pretty much out its into the „neat but unrealistic“ category

Any of their abilities (stealth, ignore entrenchment, etc) applies to the whole stack instead of just the officer
      1. There probably should be, though they are kind of spontaneous

2. I think so. They may be very powerful, but it’s definitely a lot of investment for a single unit. They need some sort of change, at least make them replaceable financially

3. That’s the point. The ability is very powerful, and officers deserve it without a doubt. Having a normal unit like AWACS have it could be game breaking, but is balanced by the fact that AWACS is less than ideal in a combat stack. You put your AWACS in a position where it is vulnerable and still doesn’t do anything in combat and are rewarded with the effect of the ability

4. SAMs still dominate fixed wing. The section of air that will really buff is helicopters and their officers, but that’s balanced by the Officer… being an officer
      AWACS is still going to get blown to smithereens by AA so if anything it puts helicopters and fixed wings on par with each other when it comes to AA

Regarding your suggestion, I don’t know if you realized but that too will have unintended consequences. Especially with the Assault Leader and Naval Officer

MRL with stealth from assault leader would be blatantly OP
      SAMs or TDS with stealth from assault leader would also be blatantly OP. Imagine your planes being shot down with no way to tell where the AA is. UAV? Shot down. AWACS? Shot down. Gonna have to use CRV to find them at that point
      MR with stealth from assault leader, also OP. You could hide it in a corner and recon the entire enemy while never being found
      Combine those into a stealth MRL doom stack? My god, the thought of it

Stealthy stack of cruisers? Hit and run nightmare

NPA, Attack Heli, AWACS with stealth from fixed wing officer?

The foundation is interesting but I don’t see how you would implement it. Officers already share abilities with the units they are meant to be stacked with anyway, so it would only be used in ways that were not intended.
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

How it works: When a stack contains a unit with the ability, the commanding player will have the option to target a specific unit type when ordering an attack. The targeted unit type will receive all of the attack’s damage, and excess damage is not applied

Teburu wrote:

I think both of these suggestions are great and should be implemented.

It also gave me an idea of my own on how to buff officers:
      Allow mobilization of infinite numbers of Officer units in each class
    • GeneralLangmoen wrote:

WalterChang wrote:

I think both of these suggestions are great and should be implemented.
      It also gave me an idea of my own on how to buff officers:
      Allow mobilization of infinite numbers of Officer units in each class
      Imagine a stack off maxed out officers
      Having a stack 5 choppers being worth 15 choppers sounds really balanced *cough*

AWACS and MR do not replace each other, they complement each other, there are certain things only an AWAC can achieve and a MR can't.

Also being able to focus certain unit types, eradicates the usefullness of the skill "knowledge in regards of troop composition".