How do you keep an airport?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you keep an airport?

Am playing Germany, and because of the soooo many cities in a relatively short range i decided at the start to go choppers.

the interesting part in the area of the world, is that it's not just many cities, but many countries. Every capital has an airport, so i'm interested in taking capitals without trashing airports, i.e. keeping them at at least 4 points - and using them for choppers (with a longer landing time), but also for units moving around.

My plan was: i use choppers, which do no building damage, clean up the units, then capture the capital with infantry = airport stays alive. Then i'll repair one here and then in key locations, but i'll have plenty of airports.

it worked for a while, quite a few airports stayed alive. But now, none: every airport captured is below 4/10.

so i thought that units obviously do building damage when they capture a city, so instead of walking in with multiple units, i'd just send one in, and keep 'more' of the airport alive. Issue is, even with a single level 3 mech inf the airport goes down to 3/10.

So... how do you keep airports?

my next test will be to capture one with a single inf (not mech) at level 2, and see if that works.

thanks in advance,
      s
    • Good idea. You'll notice that Tier 2 infantry does 0.2 damage to buildings, while Tier 1 infantry does 0.1 damage. I guess that could be making the difference? It'll also depend on what other buildings there are in the city, because I think the damage is shared amongst them. (Even so, the damage is always much more severe on capture than it is from a normal battle round.)

Still, repairing an airbase from 3/10 HP to 4/10 (operational level) doesn't take all that long. You can cancel the repair once it's got to that level if you want to save some resources.
    • Im On Smoko wrote:

Use an injured trooper / unit to take the city.
      Great idea. i just need to convince my inf to hit a wall and injure themselves :) (i only use inf to capture, they basically never get into fights...)

i could put them into a transport, sink it, and then get them out just before they die? :) :)

ok, ok... research national guard, create one in a city far from capital, get it at 80% health, use that. Got it, and thanks again!
    • Sgniappo wrote:

Im On Smoko wrote:

Great idea. i just need to convince my inf to hit a wall and injure themselves :) (i only use inf to capture, they basically never get into fights...)
      i could put them into a transport, sink it, and then get them out just before they die? :) :)

ok, ok... research national guard, create one in a city far from capital, get it at 80% health, use that. Got it, and thanks again!
      Use your National Guard unit to garrison a city that might rebel, so the insurgents can damage it a bit more!
    • Sgniappo wrote:

Im On Smoko wrote:

Just let the unit move around in rush mode until they are exhausted enough for your taste
    • Sgniappo wrote:

Im On Smoko wrote:

You can use any unit that conquer territory. But look at the building damage numbers of the units.

WalterChang wrote:

Sgniappo wrote:

Im On Smoko wrote:

Great idea. i just need to convince my inf to hit a wall and injure themselves :) (i only use inf to capture, they basically never get into fights...)i could put them into a transport, sink it, and then get them out just before they die? :) :)

Use your National Guard unit to garrison a city that might rebel, so the insurgents can damage it a bit more!
      Walter,

I then garrison with at least 3 to 2 healthy units ideally. I keep the Chance of Insurgence % of the city in the single digits as the morale goes up.
    • If your national guard are still too strong after utilizing the aforementioned advice to cripple them, you can always rush the national guard to the target city…their boots will be worn away after a thirty mile run through the mountains in Austria so they will tread lightly on those precious runways :thumbsup:
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Tom_Cruise wrote:

Isn't the damage a unit (NG, Inf) does to buildings fixed and independent of its HP?
      It seems not. I have been experimenting and observing when coalition members who take cities which include airports with injured units

After strafing the city with gunship helis and / or ASfs and charging in with a one healthy unit I did a lot of damage to the airports.

Now that I go in with a damaged unit the building damage that occurs when taking the city is signifigantly less.

One of the key parts of my strategy is to take airports.

Try it!

*Edit: I follow the damaged unit with two or more healthy units to garrison the cities with airports that are in strategic / tactical spots.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Im On Smoko ().

• method: ground stack go capture 10 city which all have lv2 army base and air base

test A: 5.4 Building damage
      tank offier + 9 tank + mot inf

test B: 0 Building damage
      mot inf that rushed into super low HP that it can't no longer rush

Chart: control is building HP and number under it are city and HP left after captured to each building.
      total is how many damage in total all building received
      1.png

result:
      test A yielded average of 8.9 damage; SD= 2.514
      test B yielded average of 9.7 damage; SD= 3.093
      P-value = 0.534
      which translate to

No significant difference

aka

Both are the same

anyone wish to counter my test. I'm now expecting equivalent or better evident then "but in my experience"
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • playbabe wrote:

method: ground stack go capture 10 city which all have lv2 army base and air base

test A: 5.4 Building damage
      tank offier + 9 tank + mot inf

test B: 0 Building damage
      mot inf that rushed into super low HP that it can't no longer rush

Chart: control is building HP and number under it are city and HP left after captured to each building.
      total is how many damage in total all building received
      1.png

result:
      test A yielded average of 8.9 damage; SD= 2.514
      test B yielded average of 9.7 damage; SD= 3.093
      P-value = 0.534
      which translate to

No significant difference

aka

Both are the same

anyone wish to counter my test. I'm now expecting equivalent or better evident then "but in my experience"
      Thank you for performing this test.