I don’t research motorized infantry: Does that make me weird?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don’t research motorized infantry: Does that make me weird?

It has been quite a long time since I researched motorized infantry. However, I see many of my allies, some which are noobs and others which are very skilled, upgrading their motorized infantry to very high levels. I really don’t find the mot infantry to be all that great for the investment required, and I usually just use NG to do my dirty work. I occasionally use airborne too as a super fast NG. Am I making a mistake?

Is there some secret thing to motorized infantry? The mortar is cool, but I didn’t find myself using it much against anything other than than AI, and then they would rush my inf. The defensive damage is very good, but NG covers most of my city defending needs. Of course, the starting ones are a major part of my early game strategy. What are your thoughts?
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

It has been quite a long time since I researched motorized infantry. However, I see many of my allies, some which are noobs and others which are very skilled, upgrading their motorized infantry to very high levels. I really don’t find the mot infantry to be all that great for the investment required, and I usually just use NG to do my dirty work. I occasionally use airborne too as a super fast NG. Am I making a mistake?

Is there some secret thing to motorized infantry? The mortar is cool, but I didn’t find myself using it much against anything other than than AI, and then they would rush my inf. The defensive damage is very good, but NG covers most of my city defending needs. Of course, the starting ones are a major part of my early game strategy. What are your thoughts?
      I don’t build basic infantry, only NG. I let other units get the glory.
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Lvl 6 its like getting a few dozen short range arty for free.

1. Getting a free first volley if active battle makes life easier
      2. Just sit out city for a enemy who isnt online.
      3. If someone on a long trek unmanned can just get behind them and pick big stacks apart.

Its almost like Naval tactics
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

Lvl 6 its like getting a few dozen short range arty for free.

1. Getting a free first volley if active battle makes life easier
      2. Just sit out city for a enemy who isnt online.
      3. If someone on a long trek unmanned can just get behind them and pick big stacks apart.

Its almost like Naval tactics

1. If you are the attacker, you will lose your first attack round, if you do not wait 1 hour between volley and engage
      2. Works even easier with real artillery, you even can use aggressive stance
      3. Not sure what you even mean

Someone tried to overrun me with mortar infantry on a 4x apocalypse map, when I woke up my air force tore his airforce to shreds.

So against casual public players maybe a thing, but only toys in any serious gameplay enviroment.

Colonel Waffles wrote:

Opulon wrote:

i rarely research any infantry unit before day 10, and it's rarely motorised infantry i'll admit.
      How do you manage without production of any infantry? Don’t you feel the need for NG at least?
      Probably by getting recons instead :)
    • I use them.
      They're cheap and quick to produce... I usually end up with 40 plus by games end.
      I use them to claim territory, of course...but it's nice to know they have some teeth to them if I really need it.
      They're more expensive than NG but have a secondary combat role.
      They're cheap enough to not interfere with mobilizing artillery or whatever primer killer I'm trying to build.
      They're typically my "breather" unit that I produce when electronics are a little low.
      Their air defense isn't crazy, but it can make a difference.

The mortar ability is great if you treat it as any other artillery (shoot and scoot).
      (if you use it against AI just attack with one Mot inf and then have the others engage whatever is coming after him... you usually get the kill/instant-reload result)
      It's nice to pair a stack of mot inf with an artillery stack... either to protect the arty and finish an advancing enemy or to soften a larger targeted stack.

I prefer to just focus on one infantry research tree... mostly for the airlift range... I usually feel like I'm getting the value out of the mot inf with each level.

NG to me only seem to be to claim territory... I get more bang for the buck out of mot inf and I don't cringe before I level them up.

(I know, I know...public games ... and I'm stupid because blah blah blah)
    • Smallsword wrote:

(I know, I know...public games ... and I'm stupid because blah blah blah)

LOL ... I wish they had a higher teir public game. Like you need x amount of wins to play. The alliance games dont interest me as i dont want to build for a week.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • My helicopters eat mot inf for breakfaat. Thus I dont want to discourage you to research and build them. In fact I see my allies spawning them and i think. Hell what good units I could build with these resources.

So far NG lvl 1 research did it for me. Ocasionally i research spec ops for the fun of it. But thats bassically my involvement with any inf unit.
      at the start of the game i need the rares for other more usefull research.f.e.e a recon. And later the game i need the research slot for other units like MRL, helicopters and a nice fleet.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

GeneralLangmoen wrote:

I use it as an allrounder defense and capture unit, so that I can use my resources on navy and air force. Its usually the only ground unit I build in a match
      You don’t build SAMs? MR? Do you only play coastal nations?
      Yes, I only play coastal nations. I also prefer UAV, ASF and SF instead of MR, MRL and SAM. Because in publics people rarely have efficient enough AA to stop me, and spamming SF is a lot easier than spamming MRL
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

My helicopters eat mot inf for breakfaat. Thus I dont want to discourage you to research and build them. In fact I see my allies spawning them and i think. Hell what good units I could build with these resources.

So far NG lvl 1 research did it for me. Ocasionally i research spec ops for the fun of it. But thats bassically my involvement with any inf unit.
      at the start of the game i need the rares for other more usefull research.f.e.e a recon. And later the game i need the research slot for other units like MRL, helicopters and a nice fleet.
      I completely agree building level one NG saves a ton of resources for choppers, navy and artillery.

I prefer to take any free hits I can and building level one NG instead of leveling up basic inf I generally will have a bigger navy and airforce and artillery than anyone who upgrades their inf to get mortars. Plus, what can mortars do to artillery and gunship
    • MarineRaider wrote:

kurtvonstein wrote:

My helicopters eat mot inf for breakfaat. Thus I dont want to discourage you to research and build them. In fact I see my allies spawning them and i think. Hell what good units I could build with these resources.

I completely agree building level one NG saves a ton of resources for choppers, navy and artillery.
      I prefer to take any free hits I can and building level one NG instead of leveling up basic inf I generally will have a bigger navy and airforce and artillery than anyone who upgrades their inf to get mortars. Plus, what can mortars do to artillery and gunship
      lvl 1 is no good. Level 2 NG is mandatory for me; that 2 extra HP is very important for keeping cities insurgent-free while keeping mobilization cost low

Level 3 is also nice is you use your NG for Damage distribution. Let’s it keep up with most other ground units and +1HP

Level 4 is where things start to go not so good
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

MarineRaider wrote:

kurtvonstein wrote:

I completely agree building level one NG saves a ton of resources for choppers, navy and artillery.I prefer to take any free hits I can and building level one NG instead of leveling up basic inf I generally will have a bigger navy and airforce and artillery than anyone who upgrades their inf to get mortars. Plus, what can mortars do to artillery and gunship
      lvl 1 is no good. Level 2 NG is mandatory for me; that 2 extra HP is very important for keeping cities insurgent-free while keeping mobilization cost low
      Level 3 is also nice is you use your NG for Damage distribution. Let’s it keep up with most other ground units and +1HP

Level 4 is where things start to go not so good
      i woudl rather have a helicopter patrol a city with a lvl 1 NG for 24h then upgrade my NG to lvl 2...more cost effecient

In fact...hey i do this...and i acutally put TD into the cities jsut to free the helicopters for more useful business
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.