I don’t research motorized infantry: Does that make me weird?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• no because 1 ng with one research doesnt do the trick...you either need a TD in a city to prevent revolt. or you have a national guard + heli to supress a revolt if it happens...otherwise you lvl 2 national guard might win the first revotl but not the second...

my approach is much more sustainable
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Smallsword wrote:

Dal jsem 3 mot inf nebo jeden TD, abych snížil šanci na povstání na 0% ...

Kolik NG je potřeba? 3 také?
      depence on tier of unit and number so yep 3 versus 3 finaly doesnt mattere im level mostly NG on max his production is still quick finaly have some teath sure again insirgent and mostly just take tiem make last two level but level before where Nh come on speed 1,5 is basicaly whe i want be to have realy mobile army for take land

but by infatry is posibel win map on publc mostly if you have map where isnt any restrict what reseach ( sio basicaly on day 7 or 8 is posible have this infatry with mortar .. and skilled player with helicopter may go in hell becose on day 7 they havent be ready counter most becose theay havent so many city and land becose they build his ofensive army ( heli sf ground force ..) but if you know that your infatry by toiol to conqer you just realy spam it wery cheap and simply used for evrything and 9 infatry and oficier is hard unit with mortar specialy on speed and yes enemy may have it too some infatry after it is talk why play strategic game .. may be becose need strategy and may be is there many way so basic question is kniow hiw many time i have to play with type of nation used and what have enemy .. not why not produce or reseach infatry or whatever else ..

like im totaly lazy hunt enemy unit so almost half game i wait on radar tier 2 to start be realy ofensive ..
    • I played a game once where a coalition member had an odd strategy.

He just spammed a bunch of infantry and would dot his country with them. Specifically close to boarder or coastal cities.

The game continued and he proceeded to level his troopers up to level 6.

An opponent close to his boarders decided to finally attack my ally.

He could move trooper units fast enough to shift a mortar wall or wave towards the attack.

His garrison units of the city took the damage of the melee rounds while 4 to 6 infantry outside the city just mortared to invaders to dust.
    • I've been playing my first 4x game as the UK and I thought I'd surely make my standard max level motorized infantry and enjoy what is commonly mentioned as "the need to nerf mot. inf. in 4x"

It did not go down this way at all...
      I researched lvl 1 mot. inf.... and then I had too many other research needs (mostly navy) to upgrade them...I didn't even make very many.

The map was also unusually active... and I was unusually lenient in allowing the competition to build ships etc.

I had conquered Western Europe and the Balkans and was leading in VP as a solo... but then I was at war with the strongest coalition of 5... all 2-6 place

Japan/Australia/Afghanistan/USA/New Zealand....

They had everything in Asia up to Saudi Arabia and were taking Turkey(who was an active solo)...I started the war there.
      Japan received right of way from Sweden (another active solo) who had Poland and Ukraine... they were my safety buffer until this point.

The Balkans were flooded by a surprise attack... Japan sent 5 stacks of 10... mot inf/AFV...
      Japan/Australia/Afghanistan all had max level mot inf... I still had lvl 1... and few ground units at that... I managed to take them all down with towed artillery, at least the ones that survived the heavy bombers...
      I suffered more casualties than I have ever...and my weak infantry were particularly hard hit.

All of this is just the lead up to "then I started making national guard"
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

no because 1 ng with one research doesnt do the trick...you either need a TD in a city to prevent revolt. or you have a national guard + heli to supress a revolt if it happens...otherwise you lvl 2 national guard might win the first revotl but not the second...

my approach is much more sustainable
      So, In my recent NG experience... 3 NG freshly mobilized with their weird half-baked HP isn't enough to get 0% insurgency... So, in the spirit of Kurtvonstein's gunship application I have my TA managing multiple cities simultaneously.

This is probably overkill insurgency protection... I could probably get away with one NG and 5 TA... the TA just has to be able to one shot kill in my opinion.

Some situations are better yet, like the Balkans or Afghanistan here with 4 cities easily covered... the air assault makes this as convenient as a gunship... and in fact more effective as it can also fire on repeat, esp if you one shot kill

The post was edited 1 time, last by Smallsword ().

• well my strategy is to have the helicopters onyl patrolling till insurgents of the day are done...after that the caravan is moving on...

before that change i always had to wait for end of the day....if I am lucky insurgent are before breakfast....free up my troops for the day...
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

well my strategy is to have the helicopters onyl patrolling till insurgents of the day are done...after that the caravan is moving on...

before that change i always had to wait for end of the day....if I am lucky insurgent are before breakfast....free up my troops for the day...
      I do same but with SFs. I used to always try to suppress insurgent chances; but now with non set time pop take more chances. 1 unit to hold city...get beat up a little... SFs take out.

In USA map found out by mistake TDs great for holding cities though. 1 with city bonus gets you real close to zero chance of popping and i guess cheaper than 3 Inf units. I thought last two opponents would have armour so built a lot of TDs but still too slow to drive across country till lvl 4 think can air lift to front line; but utilize to hold back line cities
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • 1st of all Buckeyechamp, I want to apologize because I know this is likely to piss you off, but ...

... for some stupid reason, I thought your avatar picture was Vince Lombardi. Now, I don't know how I missed the prominent "O" on his hat (derp, buckeyechamp-ohio state), and I think it was the fleshy jawed faced coupled with the way you can't see his eyes with him looking down thru the glasses in the avatar, that made me think of Lombardi. And honestly, I don't think I've ever seen any other picture of Woody Hayes in which this posture makes him look anything like Lombardi.

Sorry, but I "got" it now.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • KFGauss wrote:

Huh? Woody Hayes?

I thought that was a famous coach, like Bo Schembechler, or someone similarly well regarded.

:whistling:
      Who is Bo Schembechler?
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • I think the obsession with Motor Inf comes from a combination of an infatuation with the mortar ability and some players' desire for a "universal answer". I don't know who it is (because I don't look online for CoN advice), but I am convinced that someone out there is telling new players to ALWAYS: build Army Bases in every Homeland city; rely primarily on Motor Inf as their staple unit; and go straight to Destroyers in navy.

Depending on the country you're playing, all can be terrible advice in my opinion. BUT, people don't want to have to figure out what works best. What they want is for someone to give them a short, simple answer about what they should do when they start every/any game.

Personally, I play every single country differently. Usually I start with the Military Doctrine bonuses as my foundation. So, for Eastern Doctrine countries, yeah, I use Motor Infantry sometimes (but I never level them up to mortar). If I'm playing Western Doctrine or European Doctrine, I generally make some Level 1 NG for city defense, but they basically only fill the gap until I'm ready to rely on huskier infantry types. I'm not the kind of player who's going to spam you with a dozen huge stacks of ground units, though, so I don't usuallly need to make sure that I can mass produce cheap infantry.

Basically, before each game, I consider what country I'm going to play and try to figure out the best thing I can do with that country. I'm currently on Day 9 of a game where I'm playing as North Korea and am in 2nd place. I researched and started building CRVs on Day 1 of that game. I can't even tell you how long or how many games it has been since I researched Level 1 CRVs in a previous game. BUT, that's what I thought might work for North Korea (big hostile neighbors; no electronics to start; very limited resources; etc.) early in the game.

The post was edited 4 times, last by PerigeeNil ().

• PerigeeNil wrote:

Basically, before each game, I consider what country I'm going to play and try to figure out the best thing I can do with that country. I'm currently on Day 9 of a game where I'm playing as North Korea and am in 2nd place. I researched and started building CRVs on Day 1 of that game. I can even tell you how long or how many games it has been since I researched Level 1 CRVs in a previous game. BUT, that's what I thought might work for North Korea (big hostile neighbors; no electronics to start; very limited resources; etc.) early in the game.
      Can we maybe get you to contribute an occasional OOB here Look through a different Lens - What's your ACTUAL Day 5, 10, 15, 20, ... Order of Battle (OOB) ?

The more the merrier.
    • KFGauss wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

Basically, before each game, I consider what country I'm going to play and try to figure out the best thing I can do with that country. I'm currently on Day 9 of a game where I'm playing as North Korea and am in 2nd place. I researched and started building CRVs on Day 1 of that game. I can even tell you how long or how many games it has been since I researched Level 1 CRVs in a previous game. BUT, that's what I thought might work for North Korea (big hostile neighbors; no electronics to start; very limited resources; etc.) early in the game.
      Can we maybe get you to contribute an occasional OOB here Look through a different Lens - What's your ACTUAL Day 5, 10, 15, 20, ... Order of Battle (OOB) ?
      The more the merrier.

Absolutely. In fact, I'm happy to take requests. Is there a specific country you'd like me to do one for? I'd only ask that you not request NK or Sweden, since I've just recently played both of these nations, and I like to try to vary the rotation. I'm happy to contribute with either or both of those countries in the future, just not right away. For right now, though, do you have a request? I'll get started on it right away.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Can we maybe get you to contribute an occasional OOB here Look through a different Lens - What's your ACTUAL Day 5, 10, 15, 20, ... Order of Battle (OOB) ?The more the merrier.
      Absolutely. In fact, I'm happy to take requests. Is there a specific country you'd like me to do one for? I'd only ask that you not request NK or Sweden, since I've just recently played both of these nations, and I like to try to vary the rotation. I'm happy to contribute with either or both of those countries in the future, just not right away. For right now, though, do you have a request? I'll get started on it right away.
      That's great!

Just to be 100% sure we aren't talking past each other - The thread asks for what you actually built, and used, and had left after fights, etc. - In an actual game.

What I did for my most recent game was record my units & city counts, and my allies' same info, periodically during a game. Then, after the game was over, I waited a little while and published the material without identifying the allies.

If that what you have in mind - You can pick any country you like. I'm not choosy.