Best Nations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Best Nations

The discussion theme on this thread is pretty obvious, what do you guys think are the best countries to play as in any gamemode. It would be nice if you wrote an explanation for why it is the best country, and what strategy you usually use playing as that country. There are probably ten threads about this before, but the map(s) have change since then, and I am to lazy to find them. I look forward to see your opinions on this.
    • I like the UK - you are cut off from mainland Europe so you do not have to worry about the quick invasion. Thus, you build up your navy to prevent any attacks, while simultaneously mustering a sufficient ground force to invade the mainland. Once you are ready to go, use your naval superiority to overtake port cities and start landing your ground troops. Because there are so many VPs in Europe, your resources can really snowball quickly with the right strategy. And UK gives you a buffer that France, Germany, Italy, and Poland do not have. Essentially, I value the natural buffer that UK provides with the limited avenues to attack my homeland.

If not the UK, Australia is my second choice. Same strategy as UK, but you are even more cut off from civilization. New Zealand is no threat (unless you play it completely wrong) leaving only Indonesia. But Indonesia sucks because you have all those islands, spread apart, and tough to defend. Essentially, Australia can build a powerful navy and ground force, overwhelm New Zealand. And then start hitting the rest of the Pacific with your navy superiority. Australia has that natural buffer that the UK has, but the downside is you are so far from everything that it is tough to quickly accumulate VPs like it is in Europe.

The only nations that I think truly suck (besides the Koreas and Israel) are the landlocked countries. Without the ability to build a navy, it is risky to travel outside your continent. Thus, you either have to annex a city and build a navy (pretty expensive) or rely on Naval Planes (which are not optimal if your opponent has Frigates). Of the landlocked countries, Mongolia is the worst. With China to your south, you cannot really do anything except hope that China leaves you alone. And it is tough to expand because you are not really near anything, and the countries that are around you are much bigger than you.
    • Teburuiswack wrote:

Fr man. I was being so polite until tin pp man had to insult me for no reason. I was asking questions and expressing my concern. No need to insult someone just bc you “think” your better than them at the game. Show me the bro. Play me. “Mr Checkmate” haha. Your scared and I know it.
      It looks like he's already living in your head rent free.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • I think you need a little more context to the question.

Best/easiest isn't really applicable without a strategy that pairs with the country...

One could argue that Chad is the hardest country to claim naval dominance with... but the easiest to defend from navy.... for obvious reasons.

Island nations can function as fortresses surrounded by moats... or completely exposed cities with express routes to each.

Large nations like the USA and Russia can be massive economic powerhouses with huge production potential which are difficult to conquer... or they can be seen as overextended, underprepared, and easily picked away city by city, never able to group fresh mobilizations together fast enough to contend with invaders.

Small nations seem like they're easy and quick to conquer... but they're also easy to stack units and muster a defense, as well as launch offensives into larger more spread out neighbors.

Those are the first contextual categories I think of.

Best choice:
      My choices...(that I've played)

-Landlocked Nation ... Austria
      -Island Nation ... UK/Japan
      -Coastal Nation... Egypt/South Africa/Greece/Norway
      -Large Nation... USA (only one I've played)
      -Small Nation... Austria

My choices... (that I have yet to play)
      -Landlocked Nation... DR Congo
      -Island Nation... Cuba
      -Coastal Nation... Turkey
      -Large Nation... India
      -Small Nation... Israel

The post was edited 2 times, last by Smallsword ().

• As mentioned, and as is always mentioned, there's no way to give a good answer to these types of questions. No nation on its own is inherently "best". Some are richer in resources, start out with more homeland cities, and start with a greater number of military units, but lots of players still have problems managing those countries.

It depends a lot on the type of player you are. What are you good at using? What type of strategies do you like/employ? Are you planning on being part of a 5-man coalition? Trying to play solo? Do you like early action or late game? Are you going to aggressively attack and expand, or are you going to play defensive and expand conservatively? Every one of these questions and the details of how you answer each one is going to slightly change the answer to which country is going to feel "best" to you.
    • Smallsword wrote:

I think you need a little more context to the question.

Best/easiest isn't really applicable without a strategy that pairs with the country...

One could argue that Chad is the hardest country to claim naval dominance with... but the easiest to defend from navy.... for obvious reasons.

Island nations can function as fortresses surrounded by moats... or completely exposed cities with express routes to each.

Large nations like the USA and Russia can be massive economic powerhouses with huge production potential which are difficult to conquer... or they can be seen as overextended, underprepared, and easily picked away city by city, never able to group fresh mobilizations together fast enough to contend with invaders.

Small nations seem like they're easy and quick to conquer... but they're also easy to stack units and muster a defense, as well as launch offensives into larger more spread out neighbors.

Those are the first contextual categories I think of.

Best choice:
      My choices...(that I've played)
      -Landlocked Nation ... Austria
      -Island Nation ... UK/Japan
      -Coastal Nation... Egypt/South Africa/Greece/Norway
      -Large Nation... USA (only one I've played)
      -Small Nation... Austria

My choices... (that I have yet to play)
      -Landlocked Nation... DR Congo
      -Island Nation... Cuba
      -Coastal Nation... Turkey
      -Large Nation... India
      -Small Nation... Israel
      Your writeup of the question is spot on.

Of the countries that you want to, but haven't played with yet I have used and won with DR Congo, Cuba, and Turkey. Each of those have their advantages/disadvantages.