Ban foul/abusive language consistently... or change the rules

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ban foul/abusive language consistently... or change the rules

Dear Dorado,

Please apply all of the contents of the Code of Conduct, particularly section 13 (as shown below) and simply ban bad language altogether to avoid the current double standard that is in place. Alternatively, you can always change/reword the Code of Conduct to not include section 13 if you wish to continue to allow people to use bad language, thereby breaking the rules in place.

Thank you,
    Sima

:|

Garett wrote:

13) Using excessive vulgar language, abusiveness in non-vulgar statements, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS), “spamming” or any other disruptive or detrimental and abusive methods in an attempt to disturb, insult or aggravate other Users or Games or Services related Staff.
    P.S. Before anyone even brings it up, I know it says "excessive" but it also says "any other [blah blah blah]". It is left open like that so that mods and CMs can pick and choose which battles to fight against which users, i.e. applying a double standard to suit them best.
    "Any of you *uckin' pricks move, and I'll execute every mother*uckin' last one of ya!" - Honey Bunny
  • Y'all must be reading selectively or stopped reading after the first sentence.

I've changed the title of the thread to reflect the entire contents of my initial post. Perhaps that will shed more light on my intentions.

Nah, that's just a fool's hope that y'all understand words and shit!

:P
    "Any of you *uckin' pricks move, and I'll execute every mother*uckin' last one of ya!" - Honey Bunny
  • I think you're paying too much attention to the mention of "vulgar language" ... when really this rule is against "abusiveness"....

13) Using excessive vulgar language, abusiveness in non-vulgar statements, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS), “spamming” or any other disruptive or detrimental and abusive methods in an attempt to disturb, insult or aggravate other Users or Games or Services related Staff.

I'm fine with this rule... Fuck abuse.
  • Smallsword wrote:

I think you're paying too much attention to the mention of "vulgar language" ... when really this rule is against "abusiveness"....

I'm fine with this rule... Fuck abuse.
    Well, I suppose that settles it then. If you're fine with it, then everyone else must follow suit.

The rule needs to be reworded for clarity or enforced as is. Why is everyone missing the point? It's very simple: the rule doesn't match reality. One needs to change to adapt to the other. If not, then it's a double standard, where it's okay to hurl abusive language at other players when you do something in-game that they don't like (and they throw their childish tantrums along with all manners of colorful language/words), but God forbid anyone should use the same language to voice their discontent/disapproval of/at Dorado and/or its staff, for example.

To be clear, I don't condone using abusive language at all no matter what, but how and where do we clearly define the "line" to not cross if the wording of the rule is so ambiguous and its application is so inconsistent? Furthermore, abusive/bad language is always labeled (by Dorado and its staff) as fair game so long as it stays in the map it's related to. Doesn't that contradict the rule in question though? There is a clear double standard being applied and I am simply asking to apply one, single standard all the time.

Is that too much to fucking ask?

:whistling:
  • IMO The rule is there to give Dorado the option to discipline any customer they get tired of.

IMO Dorado and just about every interactive-game company on the planet has decided it's not profitable to discipline every immature potty-mouth and jackass.

If I ever host anything online, I'll just warn people and boot them if they fail to shape up. However, I'll be running a hobby, not a business.

IMO Dorado has to put up with a lot of mouth-breathers, incels, punks and similar sorts of customers if they want to make a buck in this business domain.

So, I think you are right; but I don't think you are going to be successful.
  • If someone is being abusive towards staff... the staff knows about it.
    I think most players don't feel "abused" enough to report such instances... if they did, I'm sure the staff would take action.
    Furthermore, players have the option to "block" DMs.

Someone really has to try to be abusive in order to violate this rule... it's not like a bad word gets a player banned.
  • Smallsword wrote:

If someone is being abusive towards staff... the staff knows about it.
    I think most players don't feel "abused" enough to report such instances... if they did, I'm sure the staff would take action.
    Furthermore, players have the option to "block" DMs.

Someone really has to try to be abusive in order to violate this rule... it's not like a bad word gets a player banned.
    Yes, the staff know about it ofc - I was support staff eons ago and have dealt with tickets complaining about this, with players thinking they're above the law, and with the simple, run-of-the-mill a$$holes and trolls that feel that they can because they can. Out of respect to Dorado, I won't get into any details.

But, what qualifies as abusive and what qualifies as harmless cursing? Who decides and how, i.e. on what criteria would it be decided? Is it fair to all to enforce this rule so subjectively?

For example, if player X uses gold to level all your buildings in a matter of minutes and player Y sends a few messages in-game to player X telling him, for example, how he will breed his offspring from player X's mom and then sell that offspring as slaves, that would usually warrant nothing more than a warning on the first instance, maybe even on the 2nd and 3rd infractions as well. However, if player A uses the F word like vowels on CoN Discord, for example, particularly targeting his colorful vernacular at player/staff B (such as "fuck you", "go fuck yourself", or "I'm gonna fuck you in the ass, h0m0"), they will usually earn themselves a perma ban from the server.

The inconsistency is staggering and I'm merely asking for consistent application of the "law".

UPDATE: Case in point, I couldn't even post the above in its original form since
  • Wow, I just don't understand how in the 21st century, some people still don't understand that "words" only have the power that you yourself give to them. The problem isn't abuse, the problem is people thinking they have some fictitious human right to be free from being offended.
    *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
    The KING of CoN News!!!
    The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
  • So we will punish offenders if it is very toxic and consistent. We also don't want to have to enter and interfere with the game that much as resetting messages and such can impact other things. We have provided you with a mute function so that those players that you wish not to hear from you can mute them and not have to see them in diplomacy and in the newspaper.
    EN Team Lead
  • It's true that there is a ocean of a gray area between letting kids vent (because let's be honest, there isn't enough ammo in the whole of the US to deal with all of them) , and "if it becomes harassment we will intervene".

I'd say that "everything that isn't solved by muting the player in game" can probably fall under our help, but as you pointed, it's not listed per se in the rules.

This said, something i like about rules like that is that if someone begins to claim that "asking a fellow player for sexual services against money isn't listed in the rules", it's a good way to know we can mag out the guy without a second thought.
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • Dealer of Death wrote:

Wow, I just don't understand how in the 21st century, some people still don't understand that "words" only have the power that you yourself give to them. The problem isn't abuse, the problem is people thinking they have some fictitious human right to be free from being offended.
    Wow, I just don't understand how in the 21st century, some people still don't know how to read. Read what I said, ****! (Ooops, did I offend you, bitch ass ****!!) Maybe, just maybe, you'll understand that I'm not complaining about people using abusive language but rather the inconsistent and nepotistic application of the rules.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PrinceofHonor ().

• Sima wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Wow, I just don't understand how in the 21st century, some people still don't understand that "words" only have the power that you yourself give to them. The problem isn't abuse, the problem is people thinking they have some fictitious human right to be free from being offended.
    Wow, I just don't understand how in the 21st century, some people still don't know how to read. Read what I said, ****! (Ooops, did I offend you, bitch ass ****!!) Maybe, just maybe, you'll understand that I'm not complaining about people using abusive language but rather the inconsistent and nepotistic application of the rules.
    LOL!
    Maybe if you had a brain bigger than a gnat's, you'd have realized you have no point if not for said people not understanding what I said, which is a group which now includes you, LOL!
    The KING of CoN News!!!
    The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

The post was edited 1 time, last by PrinceofHonor ().

• Words are how people communicate.

Words have fuzzy but not random generally-accepted meanings.

As a receiver, it's true that I can choose to ignore what someone communicates, but it's not true that ignoring what they are communicating is always useful or always wise.

In a society that relies on cooperation, some behaviors should be discouraged because they are evidence of problems that harm the society.
  • KFGauss wrote:

Words are how people communicate.

Words have fuzzy but not random generally-accepted meanings.

As a receiver, it's true that I can choose to ignore what someone communicates, but it's not true that ignoring what they are communicating is always useful or always wise.

In a society that relies on cooperation, some behaviors should be discouraged because they are evidence of problems that harm the society.
    Only you control how you let words affect you. I am not asserting in any way they have no meaning. I'm asserting only you can give them power to affect you. Just like good ole Sima above, instead of realizing I was making commentary on "bad" words and word power, he clownishly took my words as some sort of attack on him, or his point. Which then caused him to go fool speed at attempting to insult me in return. (ironically giving my words power over him)
    The KING of CoN News!!!