Should these additions be added?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Should these additions be added?

Hello!

So I've been playing the game for a while now and so far loving it. Especially "Apocalypse (4x)"
      Although I wish to see certain additions to the game.

They're listed here below:
      - C4 charges (must be researched first), that can be consumed by "Deployable Gear". The charges can only be used by infantry stealth units, such as "Special Forces" or the "Airborne Officer". And the charges can only target individual buildings (the player chooses) in cities or provinces. This gives stealth infantry units a more specific task that would define them as "special". They infiltrate and sabotage (an airfield for example).
      - Aircraft Carriers should be able to carry a certain amount of infantries (Airborne and Naval and Special Forces). Airborne can deploy to nearby land through "Air Assault", while Naval embark/disembark from and to the Carrier. Special Forces will be able to use both methods.
      - Torpedoes, that can be researched in the "Missiles" section. Can only target surface vessels and submarines. The torpedo can only be shot down by surface vessels capable of targeting missiles. And the units that can launch torpedoes will be surface vessels, subs and ASWs.

I think these additions would be great and make a difference.
      What do you guys think?
    • the torpedo suggestion always strikes me as odd; what do you think submarines use for their high anti ship stats? baguettes?
      also you perfectly countered your own point: Why introduce a Torpedos, if they will just act as a worse version of cruise missiles?

c4 idea seems decent tho not really sure how the cost/dmg ratio would play out in practice
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • for example, you know the suez canal. players should be able to build bridges so you can cross more quickly. it adds more realistic sense.
      There should be a way you control forces at the mini level like when you are attacking a city, you can choose a target to attack first and like choose different places to attack in the city. for example you can just choose a place to attack in the city like the air port.
    • Irl such bridges quickly become choke points because of the sheer weight of military vehicles. A single 63 ton tank will ruin a asphalt road. Imagine 1000 men and 100 tanks and other vehicles on a mile long bridge at the same time…probably would crush the bridge imho. They would go single file, with many vehicles waiting their turn to cross. It would basically become a different type of “embarkation and disembarkation”.

All in all, my guess is that it would not be much faster than using a pontoon bridge (which is a bridge btw)
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Teburu wrote:

the torpedo suggestion always strikes me as odd; what do you think submarines use for their high anti ship stats? baguettes?
      also you perfectly countered your own point: Why introduce a Torpedos, if they will just act as a worse version of cruise missiles?

c4 idea seems decent tho not really sure how the cost/dmg ratio would play out in practice
      You know... if the basic submarine attack is supposed to be a torpedo it really shouldn't be able to shoot over/through land masses...

I had a game where my subs fired over a portion of New Zealand to hit an enemy stack on the other side... so it's not just a graphic... it's a game mechanic that treats it as any surface vessel attack, not as a torpedo.

I'm (still) in favor of a torpedo addition to the missile menu...
      I've thought about it... and I think the easiest application would be to have sonar act as the anti-torpedo defense...

Sonar is what grants a vessel the ability to evade/destroy an incoming torpedo...

So, corvettes, subs, destroyers, ACC would have some level of anti-torpedo.

Convoys, frigates, and cruisers would not.

I guess they could be called guided-torpedoes to give some continuity... but it would make naval warfare far less predictable... and I'd assume more fun.
    • Submarines have been carrying multiple cruise missile variants for well over 20 years. And, of course submarines have carried torpedoes for far longer than 20 years.

Again (echoing Teb's comment) - What do torpedo advocates think CoN's fantasy submarines are using in their fights? Baguettes?

The real answer is they are using any imaginary weapon the designers wanted to approximate.

However, how they behave right now can easily be explained as a magically inexhaustible loadout of torpedoes, cruise missiles, and (Western doctrine) Harpoon anti-ship missiles.

I continue to feel that the designers would only add Torpedoes to the game if they wanted to fluff up the tech tree, and/or nerf the current submarines (by making you research both subs and their weapons, instead of just the subs). Other unit capability changes don't/wouldn't require adding a new researchable item.
    • Juxz wrote:

Hello!

So I've been playing the game for a while now and so far loving it. Especially "Apocalypse (4x)"
      Although I wish to see certain additions to the game.

They're listed here below:
      - C4 charges (must be researched first), that can be consumed by "Deployable Gear". The charges can only be used by infantry stealth units, such as "Special Forces" or the "Airborne Officer". And the charges can only target individual buildings (the player chooses) in cities or provinces. This gives stealth infantry units a more specific task that would define them as "special". They infiltrate and sabotage (an airfield for example).
      - Aircraft Carriers should be able to carry a certain amount of infantries (Airborne and Naval and Special Forces). Airborne can deploy to nearby land through "Air Assault", while Naval embark/disembark from and to the Carrier. Special Forces will be able to use both methods.
      - Torpedoes, that can be researched in the "Missiles" section. Can only target surface vessels and submarines. The torpedo can only be shot down by surface vessels capable of targeting missiles. And the units that can launch torpedoes will be surface vessels, subs and ASWs.

I think these additions would be great and make a difference.
      What do you guys think?
      only one i could see me using is c4s

especially since the torpedoes could only damage 1 ship i presume
      Україна
      Україна

"The future is not written" - Anna Jija
    • Smallsword wrote:

Teburu wrote:

the torpedo suggestion always strikes me as odd; what do you think submarines use for their high anti ship stats? baguettes?

You know... if the basic submarine attack is supposed to be a torpedo it really shouldn't be able to shoot over/through land masses...
      I had a game where my subs fired over a portion of New Zealand to hit an enemy stack on the other side... so it's not just a graphic... it's a game mechanic that treats it as any surface vessel attack, not as a torpedo.

I've thought about it... and I think the easiest application would be to have sonar act as the anti-torpedo defense...

Sonar is what grants a vessel the ability to evade/destroy an incoming torpedo...

I guess they could be called guided-torpedoes to give some continuity... but it would make naval warfare far less predictable... and I'd assume more fun.
      It makes sense
      Torpedoes are not the only weapon available to subs. They have tube-launched anti-ship missiles like the US Harpoon or Soviet ASW Missile
      We can assume they use a combination of these weapons during an attack
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

Smallsword wrote:

Teburu wrote:

You know... if the basic submarine attack is supposed to be a torpedo it really shouldn't be able to shoot over/through land masses...I had a game where my subs fired over a portion of New Zealand to hit an enemy stack on the other side... so it's not just a graphic... it's a game mechanic that treats it as any surface vessel attack, not as a torpedo.

It makes senseTorpedoes are not the only weapon available to subs. They have tube-launched anti-ship missiles like the US Harpoon or Soviet ASW Missile
      We can assume they use a combination of these weapons during an attack
      Nah
      con plays in an alternate reality where magic is real.

Just look at aircraft being able to teleport.
      Or units magically knowing which radar dot i hostile and which isnt.
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

I like to think the units shooting at radar contacts is the crew rolling a dice to decide whether or not they will shoot, and getting very lucky every time
      See! this why you shouldn't do the "think" thing and leave it to experts like Teburu or myself.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Colonel Waffles wrote:

I like to think the units shooting at radar contacts is the crew rolling a dice to decide whether or not they will shoot, and getting very lucky every time
      See! this why you shouldn't do the "think" thing and leave it to experts like Teburu or myself.
      ahem
      Україна
      Україна

"The future is not written" - Anna Jija