Rogue State / Local Insurgency

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rogue State / Local Insurgency

This has been a hot button topic for some reason in the current game I am in. There is people in my game that think because a city falls to Rogue State does not mean it is fair game and it is bad sportsmanship.

I have always been under the impression that once a city or province falls to the Rogue State it is fair game, if I am wrong to have this outlook, please let me know.
      In any war, there are calms between storms. There will be days when we lose faith. Days when our allies turn against us...but the day will never come that we forsake this planet and its people.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SouthernCmdr ().

• I'd say it is always a point of contention and almost always a judgment call. Can anyone claim a Rogue City from the Rogues? The game says they can.

Are you kind of a bad teammate if your teammate accidentally neglects a Rogue city in an area where they did all of the fighting and are clearly mainly controlling? Yeah, that's not a great look. Let me give a scenario for that:

You and I are teammates. I attack player nation Egypt on my own and wipe them out. I've still got like 10+ infantry in different places in Egypt as it settles, but I accidentally moved my occupying troops just a little outside of the city center of Port Said. While I'm AFK, the Rogues pop and claim Port Said with my troops rght outside the city. You, my teammate, seize the opportunity, fly to Cairo, march to Port Said and take it from the Rogues before I can get back online. ...you're kind of being a bad teammate, in my opinion. It wasn't like the situation was out of control or I couldn't handle it. I just needed a minute to log back in and correct my mistake.

Now, let's say we're not teammates. I can see that you're taking most of northwest Africa. I'm a nation in the western hemisphere, but I'd like a foothold in Africa, so I take Dakar from the Rogues, even though you were probably intending on taking it. Do I or should I feel bad? Heck, no. I don't have any reason to just allow you to take cities; we're competing here. Now, if you want to fight me over it, that's completely within your right too, but that doesn't mean I did anything wrong by taking it in the first place.

I HAVE seen players view the taking of Rogue cities in foothold areas as an act of aggression. They're probably not entirely wrong and not entirely right. It's about like flying my planes just off the coast of your city or over the rivers inside your country. The game says I didn't actually violate your borders yet, but that doesn't mean I'm not threatening you. If I'm clearly claiming southern Africa, and, while I am in the process of doing so, you decided to take Port Elizabeth from the Rogues, then I might decide that's enough for us to come to blows. At that point it all depends how badly (if at all) I want to avoid conflict with you in that moment.
    • Teburu wrote:

Irrelevant who owns the city; if its clear im going after it (eg conquering the nation etc) then i wont tolerate some randos swooping in like vultures trying to take it
      Also, what Teburu said. NEVER... EVER... AND I MEAN EVER race your teammate for a city. That's the worst. Fight your own battles and claim your own prizes. If there's truly a question who should get it, be the bigger person and let the other person have it. There are plenty of cities on the map. Go find another one.
    • There's this guy in one of my current games (I can tell he's a noob) that is in my coalition, although I kinda wish he wasn't. He has random troops in my territory and whenever I invade somebody and a city is hit by the insurgents, he swoops in and takes it. He has done this like 4 or 5 times already, and I'm like dude, that's not cool, you have no business over here, and then he responds with a hintingly homophobic message, and that is that.

P.S. This is the first game I'm playing as Venezuela, meaning I now have played as every country in the 64p map :D
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

Tifo, cover your cities. You shouldn't be constantly leaving them open to Insurgency anyhow.
      Most of the time, yes, but sometime I have to rush all my units in the area or else I will get crushed... in those cases I try to eliminate the insurgency on the way.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • Tifo_14 wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

Tifo, cover your cities. You shouldn't be constantly leaving them open to Insurgency anyhow.
      Most of the time, yes, but sometime I have to rush all my units in the area or else I will get crushed... in those cases I try to eliminate the insurgency on the way.
      That's when I either tell the player I'm going to kick them from the coalition or ask the coalition leader to tell them they will be kicked.

I also make a point of telling my allies where I'm going so that there is no confusion over the cities I care about.

I also make a point of periodically asking allies if anyone needs me to help them capture any type of resource-producing cities.

All of that adds up to city-poaching within a coalition being forbidden in my book, and being a good way to reach the top of my enemies list if you aren't in a coalition.

If you didn't pay the "price" for a city, then don't steal it from someone who did.

Additionally, if your troops are wandering around inside my territory, and especially if they are making a patchwork mess out of my borders - You will be told to stop it - It's just lazy and rude.
    • PatriotBlk wrote:

This has been a hot button topic for some reason in the current game I am in. There is people in my game that think because a city falls to Rogue State does not mean it is fair game and it is bad sportsmanship.

I have always been under eeh impression that once a city or province falls to the Rogue State it is fair game, if I am wrong to have this outlook, please let me know.
      In theory it is fair game, but in the same theory you are like a vulture, and maybe angering the wrong lion. :)

You can try to swoop my city if it has gone rogue, but it will put you also in focus on my next expansion, with high likely hood.

If you a swooping rogue cities of allies it surely can cause bad blood too. If they neglected their cities for days, it is different then if it is a little out of the regular mishap.
    • Yeah this is a little off the rogue-city topic, but it's adjacent.

Several months ago, someone (with good intentions) "helped" me by capturing some provinces (without asking) in an AI-controlled country while I was killing the AI's troops.

Of course the whole reason I was attacking that AI country was so that I could build an airbase as close as possible to my next real target(s).

And that airbase was going to be in exactly the location where my ally "helped" me. :cursing:

So nabbing cities or provinces without coordinating = :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
    • KFGauss wrote:

Yeah this is a little off the rogue-city topic, but it's adjacent.

Several months ago, someone (with good intentions) "helped" me by capturing some provinces (without asking) in an AI-controlled country while I was killing the AI's troops.

Of course the whole reason I was attacking that AI country was so that I could build an airbase as close as possible to my next real target(s).

And that airbase was going to be in exactly the location where my ally "helped" me. :cursing:

So nabbing cities or provinces without coordinating = :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
      Exactly. Teammates act like I'm crazy when this exact things happens and I say, "It messes up my plans." But you hit it on the head, KFG. Lots of times it's something exactly like, "No, dude. I was going to use that specific territory to place an airfield or as a bottleneck combat outpost, etc. In short, just stay out of my way."
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

I'd say it is always a point of contention and almost always a judgment call. Can anyone claim a Rogue City from the Rogues? The game says they can.

Are you kind of a bad teammate if your teammate accidentally neglects a Rogue city in an area where they did all of the fighting and are clearly mainly controlling? Yeah, that's not a great look. Let me give a scenario for that:

You and I are teammates. I attack player nation Egypt on my own and wipe them out. I've still got like 10+ infantry in different places in Egypt as it settles, but I accidentally moved my occupying troops just a little outside of the city center of Port Said. While I'm AFK, the Rogues pop and claim Port Said with my troops rght outside the city. You, my teammate, seize the opportunity, fly to Cairo, march to Port Said and take it from the Rogues before I can get back online. ...you're kind of being a bad teammate, in my opinion. It wasn't like the situation was out of control or I couldn't handle it. I just needed a minute to log back in and correct my mistake.

Now, let's say we're not teammates. I can see that you're taking most of northwest Africa. I'm a nation in the western hemisphere, but I'd like a foothold in Africa, so I take Dakar from the Rogues, even though you were probably intending on taking it. Do I or should I feel bad? Heck, no. I don't have any reason to just allow you to take cities; we're competing here. Now, if you want to fight me over it, that's completely within your right too, but that doesn't mean I did anything wrong by taking it in the first place.

I HAVE seen players view the taking of Rogue cities in foothold areas as an act of aggression. They're probably not entirely wrong and not entirely right. It's about like flying my planes just off the coast of your city or over the rivers inside your country. The game says I didn't actually violate your borders yet, but that doesn't mean I'm not threatening you. If I'm clearly claiming southern Africa, and, while I am in the process of doing so, you decided to take Port Elizabeth from the Rogues, then I might decide that's enough for us to come to blows. At that point it all depends how badly (if at all) I want to avoid conflict with you in that moment.
      These scenario do apply perfectly. I was in a scenario where I was at war with Poland and I was taking all of his/her territory and they had random city in Spain that fell to rogue state during our battle. Lets say Germany was also taking out Spain proper, Germany thinks they are 'owed' that city because it is in Spain.... I think in the scenario, I was in the right and they should have checked the CON News for the time line of events before accusing.
      In any war, there are calms between storms. There will be days when we lose faith. Days when our allies turn against us...but the day will never come that we forsake this planet and its people.
    • Tifo_14 wrote:

There's this guy in one of my current games (I can tell he's a noob) that is in my coalition, although I kinda wish he wasn't. He has random troops in my territory and whenever I invade somebody and a city is hit by the insurgents, he swoops in and takes it. He has done this like 4 or 5 times already, and I'm like dude, that's not cool, you have no business over here, and then he responds with a hintingly homophobic message, and that is that.

P.S. This is the first game I'm playing as Venezuela, meaning I now have played as every country in the 64p map :D
      That's bad sportsmanship for real.
    • As a coalition leader I've had to mitigate this issue amongst allies...

It is the most annoying when there is a huge territory with many cities all belonging to a recently defeated enemy... so no more enemy units.... and then someone decides that they want all that they can get and rip through the cities without any troops to hold them.... so we're left with 20-30 rogue cities.

I've made it clear to allies that if they do that... or similar foolish/selfish actions... they'll be consumed by the rest of the coalition...
      A few units in their homeland cities and they tend to get the picture pretty quick and fall in line.
      I try to have the rule of "If you can't hold it, you can't claim it"
      If there is a "demolish and ditch" campaign... it's a totally different scenario... one where we usually want insurgents to emerge.

@KFGauss... indeed the needed province for an airfield is really annoying to "lose" to an ally...you really have to insist that they build it, then.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

@PatriotBlk ,

Sounds like Germany overreacted. That being said, you *might* be a little too hungry for Rogue cities.

If I was working on Poland and Germany was already in Spain, I wouldn't have gone to Spain for Rogue city.
      Poland's last territory was a city in Spain I was going to capture to fully eliminate Poland but it turned Rogue when I was en route.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

Another reason I don't like playing in (public) coalitions - I like clean borders and I don't like people getting in my way. "I'll send my troops to cut off your route and kill a half dead infantry and then claim I 'helped' you, okay?" Oh, ffs. No. I'm going to New Zealand.
      Oh you my dog, Perigee! I F'n HATE patchwork maps that look like a refugee quilt.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD