Healing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm creating this thread for @dfrost who had some questions in another thread about healing, but I didn't want to answer there, as I didn't want that thread to get off track.

So here's how Hospitals and healing work:

Your units naturally heal 1hp per game day if they are at rest inside a city, assuming that city has no Hospital. Each level of Hospital increases the number of hit points healed per day by one. It is important to note that this is rate is *per unit*. So, a stack of five infantry inside a city with a Level 2 Hospital heals 15 hp (for the entire stack) per day. AIrcraft heal the same way, you just have to have an Air Base in the city to get them there, and you have to leave the aircraft on the ground inside the city while they heal.

You mentioned that you have like 5 Level 1 hospitals in 5 cities. This used to be a popular strategy when hospitals use to improve morale, but they don't do that anymore. They do, however, increase population growth rate. So, if you want to use them to do that, that's fine. If we talking strictly about healing, though, you're usually better off to level a hospital or two up and get more healing benefit from fewer hospitals.

Field Hospitals (and Air Fields) can do the same thing to a lesser extent. You can only level them up to Level 3, and they don't get the benefit of the extra city healing point. But, you can put them anywhere and you can pair them with other field structures (combat outpost, airfield, etc.) to make yourself a nice little field position.

You can benefit from other people's hospitals if you have the right to have units in their cities.

Ships heal in coastal waters. I don't know what the actual rate is, but it's the best rate you're going to get for ships, so...

Here's a little personal Pro Tip with which others may or may not agree: I tend to build my (first) Level 5 Hospital in the (player) enemy capital I conquer. I try to manage my damage to that capital so that the enemy airfield remains intact after I have control of the city (an airfield needs to be at 40%+ in order to be operational). Once I've taken over the enemy capital and have an operational airfield there, I build my first Hospital there. Now, I have a Hospital to which I can fly troops and planes. Why build it there instead of my own capital or one of my own Homeland Cities? BECAUSE: That early in the game, I am usually very actively building other things in my Homeland cities. In this enemy capital, I already got an instant Air Base, and I can't produce units here until/unless I Annex this city later. So, just to restate, I build my first hospital in an early enemy capital because there's already an airbase, and so the Hospital construction doesn't get in the way of my other building construction in my Homeland cities.
    • thanks man!

it may be premature because i don't have my thoughts sorted fully yet. i have a hard time explaining things sometimes. 2 of my questions about healing have already been answered including how you heal a plane. i found out that it works the same way as the other units and the hospitals.

my my last question about healing revolves around different scenarios including stacking.

if i have 5 infantry i want to heal, to heal effectively, i understand i would stack them and put them where a hospital is. this does 2 things for faster healing. it spreads out the hp evenly among the 5 units and if i have an l1 hospital, it will heal my 5 units at a rate of 10 hp per day. this is what i understand so far about healing and stacking. when we only put 5 infantry units at a hospital with nothing else there.

now in my real life personal experience in game right now, i have a two l1 hospitals in mexico right next to eachother. i had to heal my 4 recon units and my 8 infantry units as they were tragically injured in battle. what i did was(and i think i did this wrong effectively) is i put 4 recon units in 1 hospital and my 8 infantry units in the other hospital. my thinking was about stacking the same units and this has been discussed in many previous threads which is why i did it this way.

my question is, can i stack everything together in to one l1 hospital where my recon units heal at a rate of 8 a day and my infantry heals at a rate of 16 per day? can i stack it like this where it heals at the same rate as puting them in separate hospitals?

also, in what scenarios does healing NOT become 100% effective? i haven't seen any information on this at all. i am assuming if we are talking about how to heal effectively, there are ways that we can do it that are less effective like possibly what i am doing now which is building more hospitals than i need and wasting resources.

also, what is considered a stack? the same unit type? or the same unit category?

thanks!
    • When people talk about a "stack", they generally mean any number of and type of units grouped together as one element. To most effectively fly and sail, you can stack any five units. To most effectively travel and fight over land, you can stack any 10 units. You can put together larger stacks than that, but that's called "overstacking", and you begin to incur more and more severe penalties to movement speed and combat effectiveness.

As for healing, it sounds like you've basically got it figured out. Yes, you could have stacked your CRVs at the same Level 1 Hospital as your infantry and gotten the same healing effect for all units involved. What would make healing less effective, as I think you already understand, is if you put 1 badly damaged infantry in a different hospital than 7 mostly healthy infantry. In that case, if you had them stacked together, you would heal your overall infantry damage more quickly. So, two Level 1 Hospitals right next to each other is a bit of a waste (unless you were after the population bonus), because 1 Hospital would do the same job at least, if not more, effectively.

You also asked when healing is not 100% effective. MAYBE when a Hospital is damaged? Honestly, I don't know how damaged Hospitals work. Someone else will have to answer that.

For the most part, though, it's not really a matter of not being "100% effective"; it's more a question of "how effective is 100%" for that Hospital/location. For instance, a Level 2 Hospital in a city heals 3 HP per day. That's 100% for that Hospital, but a Level 3 Hospital in a city heals more effectively. There's no real way for a Hospital to do "ineffective healing" (depending on how you define that), just less or slower healing.

I have noticed that I don't think ships fighting/firing in Coastal Waters heal at the enhanced rate that ships at rest in Coastal Waters do. Oh, also, before I forget, your ground units WILL heal a little faster if they are sitting in Coastal Waters anywhere in the world, but that's a risky proposition if you don't have them stacked with warships.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

When people talk about a "stack", they generally mean any number of and type of units grouped together as one element. To most effectively fly and sail, you can stack any five units. To most effectively travel and fight over land, you can stack any 10 units. You can put together larger stacks than that, but that's called "overstacking", and you begin to incur more and more severe penalties to movement speed and combat effectiveness.

As for healing, it sounds like you've basically got it figured out. Yes, you could have stacked your CRVs at the same Level 1 Hospital as your infantry and gotten the same healing effect for all units involved. What would make healing less effective, as I think you already understand, is if you put 1 badly damaged infantry in a different hospital than 7 mostly healthy infantry. In that case, if you had them stacked together, you would heal your overall infantry damage more quickly. So, two Level 1 Hospitals right next to each other is a bit of a waste (unless you were after the population bonus), because 1 Hospital would do the same job at least, if not more, effectively.

You also asked when healing is not 100% effective. MAYBE when a Hospital is damaged? Honestly, I don't know how damaged Hospitals work. Someone else will have to answer that.

For the most part, though, it's not really a matter of not being "100% effective"; it's more a question of "how effective is 100%" for that Hospital/location. For instance, a Level 2 Hospital in a city heals 3 HP per day. That's 100% for that Hospital, but a Level 3 Hospital in a city heals more effectively. There's no real way for a Hospital to do "ineffective healing" (depending on how you define that), just less or slower healing.

I have noticed that I don't think ships fighting/firing in Coastal Waters heal at the enhanced rate that ships at rest in Coastal Waters do. Oh, also, before I forget, your ground units WILL heal a little faster if they are sitting in Coastal Waters anywhere in the world, but that's a risky proposition if you don't have them stacked with warships.
      uggg...thanks! now more realizations of the mistakes i made to waste resources. knowing this helps a lot and i understand better why people re just building the level 5 hospitals. my probloem in my current game which i am learning more about is that some of my ground units can't use air transport (mobile artillery and battle tanks). when i was coming up with a plan, i was assuming i could fly them by plane like my other units haha silly me. so much that goes in to this game. i love it! but not liking all the mistakes i made.

i do want to clarify something. you said we can effectively stack 10 to effectively travel but any more than that starts to become ineffective. when i was reading the forum and researching, i was reading that the effective # was 5. did that change? does this go for planes and ships as well?

thanks!
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

Hospitals work the second they show up on the map; idk at exactly what HP but you can easily see when the healing value increases
      There's not really a way that healing is not "100% effective", only thing that might apply is trying to heal units in a hospital when you have perfectly safe coastal waters nearby that you could just instead (this applies to trying to heal MBTs in particular

dfrost wrote:

i do want to clarify something. you said we can effectively stack 10 to effectively travel but any more than that starts to become more and more ineffective. when i was reading the forum and researching, i was reading that the effective # was 5. did that change? does this go for planes and ships as well?
      10 is for ground and 5 for air/ships (if your ground units are in a transport ship the naval stacking limits apply and so on)

dfrost wrote:

more about is that some of my ground units can't use air transport (mobile artillery and battle tanks)
      They all can use the air transport, its just that they unlock it only at later levels; its also worth mentioning that with unit model change (you reaching the next "Tier" of the unit) they usually get an increase to the distance they can travel via air transport
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Max stack numbers before "overstacking" penalties are incurred are 10 units for ground stacks and five units for Air and Sea stacks.

As for some units not flying: Right, that's the tradeoff for some types of units in the early game. That's one of the reasons some people don't like Main Battle Tanks (and/or rushing to get them produced): they travel slowly at low levels. (They also take severe penalties in the wrong terrains.)

That being said, every ground unit type can be upgraded (researched) to the point that it can travel by air; it's just a matter of when and how costly it is to get them to that point.

Added: Posted this before I saw Teburu's post giving all the same answers.
    • I've got to share my experience with healing as i never like to lose troops and I rarely do, better then a hospital which uses alot of resources and can only go max 6hp per unit a day. for planes you have no choice BUT If you put your land troops on the nearest coast in shallow waters it heals 2hp but their normal hp goes down to 15 on transport.

Example: main battle tank level 1 is 45 hp. he goes to transport ship on coastal waters he now has 15hp healing at a rate of 6hp a day without a hospital, saving resources and transport time. To make things better you can mix a damaged unit of the same type which is fully healed and it doubles the healing rate do this with 3 then it triples the healing. so you can get 18hp a day from a tank which was nearly dead putting him back in the action again quicker. this gets stupid with lets say a tank commander which gets up to 95 hp so on his own doing this method your healing him at a rate of 12.6hp a day which is abit broken and double a max hospital.

Small down side is your troop is exposed with low hp so you need to hide it.
    • gamingguru wrote:

I've got to share my experience with healing as i never like to lose troops and I rarely do, better then a hospital which uses alot of resources and can only go max 6hp per unit a day. for planes you have no choice BUT If you put your land troops on the nearest coast in shallow waters it heals 2hp but their normal hp goes down to 15 on transport.

Example: main battle tank level 1 is 45 hp. he goes to transport ship on coastal waters he now has 15hp healing at a rate of 6hp a day without a hospital, saving resources and transport time. To make things better you can mix a damaged unit of the same type which is fully healed and it doubles the healing rate do this with 3 then it triples the healing. so you can get 18hp a day from a tank which was nearly dead putting him back in the action again quicker. this gets stupid with lets say a tank commander which gets up to 95 hp so on his own doing this method your healing him at a rate of 12.6hp a day which is abit broken and double a max hospital.

Small down side is your troop is exposed with low hp so you need to hide it.
      hold up...this is new to me. so are you saying that the healing is proportionate?

like, say you have a 45 hp tank that is at HALF health = 22.5 hp... in city w/ lvl 1 hospital it would heal at 2 hp/day and take 11.25 days to heal....

but...if you put it on a transport ship in coastal waters at 50% of 15 hp (7.5 hp)....healing at a rate of 6 hp/day......you could get him from 50% to 100% in 1.25 days???????????

is this real???
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

I am not sure EXACTLY what the most damage a hospital can take before it loses its healing function...

BUT..

I can confirm that when building hospitals... I have seen the overall healing rate increase when the hospital was only 11% complete.

This is partly why i still build hospitals upon capturing a city. My unit will be guarding it for a while to raise morale, and if the hospital starts healing him within a couple of short hours after capturing, then i can ensure all of my units are getting healed while standing guard.

I'm not saying it will get them to full health. but to me it just seems like such a win if they can be getting healed while standing still anyway
    • jaudiola wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

I am not sure EXACTLY what the most damage a hospital can take before it loses its healing function...
      BUT..

I can confirm that when building hospitals... I have seen the overall healing rate increase when the hospital was only 11% complete.

This is partly why i still build hospitals upon capturing a city. My unit will be guarding it for a while to raise morale, and if the hospital starts healing him within a couple of short hours after capturing, then i can ensure all of my units are getting healed while standing guard.

I'm not saying it will get them to full health. but to me it just seems like such a win if they can be getting healed while standing still anyway
      Friendly advice, don't do that.

-Building a hospital in each or any city you just have captured is an absolute waste of resources and time you could be building a bunker. A hospital does NOT help with morale. It simply "accelerates population" + heals at the corresponding level. Except that it doesn't accelerate population. Not in a meaningful way. Not enough to ever waste the resources on them. A bunker however does directly effect a cities morale, and in turn will improve economic output of the city. There are players who have made charts and graphed how long it takes for a level 5 hospital to get a city to a high population, and the rate is dismally slow.

Hospitals, simply put, are only to heal. It makes no sense to have a bunch of hospitals scattered around, my advice is to build a level 5 hospital homeland, then build another at a forward base in a safe location. I have never needed more than two cities with a level 5 hospital in each.

Bunkers are so slept on in how much they actually help your overall gameplay become much smoother.

PS- You really don't need to worry about a newly acquired cities population, if you properly take the city by not killing civilians, or limiting the scope of how many civs die.
      CDR Crimson
      Founder of The Militia Collective

Training and Screening Hub, New Players or Existing: Come Find your perfect Alliance here!

Join Our Discord !
    • CDRCrimson42 wrote:

jaudiola wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

I am not sure EXACTLY what the most damage a hospital can take before it loses its healing function...BUT..

-Building a hospital in each or any city you just have captured is an absolute waste of resources and time you could be building a bunker. A hospital does NOT help with morale. It simply "accelerates population" + heals at the corresponding level. Except that it doesn't accelerate population. Not in a meaningful way. Not enough to ever waste the resources on them. A bunker however does directly effect a cities morale, and in turn will improve economic output of the city. There are players who have made charts and graphed how long it takes for a level 5 hospital to get a city to a high population, and the rate is dismally slow.

Hospitals, simply put, are only to heal. It makes no sense to have a bunch of hospitals scattered around, my advice is to build a level 5 hospital homeland, then build another at a forward base in a safe location. I have never needed more than two cities with a level 5 hospital in each.

Bunkers are so slept on in how much they actually help your overall gameplay become much smoother.

PS- You really don't need to worry about a newly acquired cities population, if you properly take the city by not killing civilians, or limiting the scope of how many civs die.
      this is exactly why i'm on here, to learn more and shed the bad habits. thank you for the advice!
    • CDRCrimson42 wrote:

jaudiola wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

I am not sure EXACTLY what the most damage a hospital can take before it loses its healing function...BUT..

So, would it be better to build a bunker upon capturing a city? or build nothing at all and save the bunker-building for homeland cities? or both?
    • jaudiola wrote:

CDRCrimson42 wrote:

jaudiola wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

So, would it be better to build a bunker upon capturing a city? or build nothing at all and save the bunker-building for homeland cities? or both?
      I mean, that's a personal call. Level 1 bunkers are pretty cheap and I'd say every taken city is worth having one but it really depends. But yes building a bunker would be far more effective than a hospital.

You should not build bunkers outside of homeland, if all your homeland cities don't have up to level 3-4 yet already.

Always Prioritize Homeland First...
      CDR Crimson
      Founder of The Militia Collective

Training and Screening Hub, New Players or Existing: Come Find your perfect Alliance here!

Join Our Discord !
    • I agree with just having a level 5 hospital in your homeland, best placed in your capital as you protect it at the same time. With bunkers i always do it to level 2-3 in each homeland city plus if any attack and build in some cities if i need to hold something.

example. I'm using rocket launchers to attack ships as I don't want any navy and i've placed them in both entrances of the mediterranean sea. Bunkers are really good as you can't see them compare to combat outpost which are also amazing for building last second defending.

there are others situations you can build bunkers but you get the idea. i wouldn't build any thing in newly capture cities unless i need something like a airbase ect. not building for morale as I leave a troop for a day or 2 and leave. I know some people build recruitment offices but again that a waste of resources . if you want to help with morale, finish off wars with countries and try not to bomb the cities as much. Do build recruitment offices in every city at the end of the game for extra ranking points.
    • A bit of info that might be useful.

How to Heal Units
      Normally in a city a unit will heal 1 hp a day, each level of hospital will add 1 hp to the healing rate in a city.
      Healing in a city only affects grounded planes and ground units that are within the city limits, ships can only heal in coastal waters when they are not fighting at the rate of 2 hp/day (this rate is fixed).

Note: provinces can’t heal troops without anything being built, you need to have a field hospital to start healing in a province, healing is based on the level (lvl 1 heals 1/d, lvl 3 heals 3/d)