Chile

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Does anyone have any specific insight on this country or experience with it?

My very first WW3 coalition win, I was playing as Chile. I had joined a South American coalition right away; probably on Day 1. The leader was Brazil, who spent A LOT. I remember they paved almost all of Brazil with Military Logistics. That player dominated the map, and the rest of us were just kind of along for the ride. It was one of my first games, and I really can't remember doing anything that game besides following them. I've not really ever played as Chile again since, until now.

The other day I started a new 4x WW3 game soloing as Chile, because I heard some players calling it a "bad" country. I got off to a very slow start. I was still successful - good kdr, everything according to plan - but my growth and development has been slow. I'm starting to get past that now, though, and I'm realizing that my Chile may soon become kind of a powerhouse. I'm all alone at the bottom of the hemisphere, and my homeland is really tough to reach, unless someone beats my navy, which looks doubtful right now.

So I guess that's my question: Is Chile a slow-starting powerhouse? I never really see anyone play it well, but it's got to be tough to invade once it gets started, right? It's almost like an island nation that doesn't start out completely separated.
    • Well, when I had the time to set up on an abandoned Chile and could put my troops all along the border, and put planes (plus some missiles) in a couple of well-positioned airbases, I wiped out many hundreds of Chile HP in a just a few (4-6?) hours while I swept across the border, and Chile was gone.

So, I guess the knock on Chile would be that if you don't control a big enough buffer zone around it, and if you're AFK for just 4 hours, then it's long border and narrow width make it vulnerable to small or all-out blitzes.

In other words - Chile (obviously) doesn't offer "interior lines" for defenders.

And, I supposed if I was Chile and attacking East, I wouldn't be opening a small-ish front (like say, between Spain and France) but I would either be heading out along an enormous front; or if I was attacking northward, I would still need to defend that eastern border.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• Argentina early game can be an issue for Chile, primarily because it is difficult to stack troops while defending homeland, and most of his cities are difficult to rush (while he can do that to you). But as soon as you can secure Argentina, put together a good navy, and focus on heading north, you are all set.
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • I've never played as Chile... I've been allied to it once... and in that cause Chile was Golden beyond comparison to typical play.... I had to put a lot of effort into forcing them into a coalition, though... Very easy to bombard each city one by one, which was my primary diplomatic leverage.

Ever time I've invaded S. America I've preferred to take it from the South and march North up the coast.... If you're West of the Mountain barrier it's not so slow and it's a nice path to trample your Chilean foe on...

So, you might want to consider someone approaching from the North or South to essentially be flanking your entire country... just food for thought
    • Aeneas of Troy wrote:

But as soon as you can secure Argentina, put together a good navy, and focus on heading north, you are all set.
      Right. This is what I'm seeing. I've already taken Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, Patagonia, and the nearest (west, south) parts of Brazil. I point this out just to say that Argentina and that border aren't a problem for me anymore. My only current land borders are in the north, and I have the buffers of Peru and Bolivia between my homeland and any enemies. I have my navy defending the Chilean coast, so invaders have to go through my ground forces to come down through the north or they have to enter on the east coast of South America or in Patagonia, where I will see them LONG before they can march over the Andes into my homeland.

The post was edited 3 times, last by PerigeeNil ().

• PerigeeNil wrote:

Does anyone have any specific insight on this country or experience with it?

My very first WW3 coalition win, I was playing as Chile. I had joined a South American coalition right away; probably on Day 1. The leader was Brazil, who spent A LOT. I remember they paved almost all of Brazil with Military Logistics. That player dominated the map, and the rest of us were just kind of along for the ride. It was one of my first games, and I really can't remember doing anything that game besides following them. I've not really ever played as Chile again since, until now.

The other day I started a new 4x WW3 game soloing as Chile, because I heard some players calling it a "bad" country. I got off to a very slow start. I was still successful - good kdr, everything according to plan - but my growth and development has been slow. I'm starting to get past that now, though, and I'm realizing that my Chile may soon become kind of a powerhouse. I'm all alone at the bottom of the hemisphere, and my homeland is really tough to reach, unless someone beats my navy, which looks doubtful right now.

So I guess that's my question: Is Chile a slow-starting powerhouse? I never really see anyone play it well, but it's got to be tough to invade once it gets started, right? It's almost like an island nation that doesn't start out completely separated.
      Well, the first thing to consider about Chile is its, uh, irregular shape. Its long coast makes the country difficult to defend, and the mountainous terrain only lengthens the duration it takes to transport units across the country. Diplomacy wise, your main goal should either to befriend Argentina or eliminate them; if you choose the latter, you'll probably want to get someone else (like Brazil or Bolivia) to help you, so Argentina doesn't fling their whole army at you. Like I said before, Chile is a tough country to defend, so you'll want to keep the enemy out, if possible. I also recommend making a few corvettes (which can be replaced by presiding ships later in the game) to protect your coastal cities from attacks from the Pacific.

As the game progresses, you should hopefully have a good chunk of land in South America. Depending on if you choose to ally with someone or not, you should try to get the whole of the continent under your control by day 20-25ish, depending on if you are going solo or with an ally. Once you've done so, you should invade North America, the Caribbean, or even southern Africa, depending on what the diplomatic situation in those areas may be.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • I'll tell you what I'm not loving about Chile: the Components production.

For a country that's one big long skinny coast (requiring lots of navy and planes) and also European Doctrine (which is components-heavy, if you play its advantage units), it's pretty shy on Components. I'm definitely going to have to Annex one - or maybe two - Components city(s) later on in the game.
    • I don't know what you've already researched... but I'm sure you think about resource balance as much as the next guy...

If your electronics/rare mat are ok... you could consider attack subs as your naval primary.... much lighter on the component demand.

If your supplies are ok you could build up MRL for coastal defense.

You might skip ASF and opt for SAM in their stead.

Gunships are a nice breather for components as well... you might make less infantry and more of these infantry killers.

These don't solve your component demand, but they can keep you mobilizing and thus keep you expanding.

Something I've just started doing is relocating my head quarters when I get cash rich and particularly poor in one resource.
    • Should be wrapping this one up in two to three real days. I missed four game days in a row because I was offline for more than one real day, but I was still in good shape when I came back, so I kept it going. The problem right now is that... no one is really trying to stop me yet. Normally at this point, I'll have at least one or two coalitions trying to keep my from winning, but no dice so far. I'm not sure if they're going to wait until it gets really, really close, or if they're just going to let me win uncontested. I'll be honest, though: It's throwing me off. The final throw down has kind of become part of my game, so if it's not happening, I don't really know what to do. I've tried just attacking folks, but that still hasn't motivated the coalition (s) to fight me yet.
    • Well, I got my answer. So far the plan seems to be that someone will pay to lower the morale in my newly occupied cities. I haven't lost one yet, but I'll admit that it is slowing me down.

Addded: Also, I haven't decided whether or not I want to finish out the game now. The actual win stat isn't that important to me, and overcoming an artificially imposed morale deficit isn't really the kind of challenge for which I play. If no one is going to fight me, and my opponents' only goal is to drag things out, I may just chalk it up at personal victory and move on.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PerigeeNil ().

• sorry but that is nonsence debation becose for evry map is diferent most problem for many player for evry nation is manage economy becose have it more than 5 city it make you have more troop on start have " more" income but need protect more city that still isnt problem but manage economy is problematic ( most for player that know just how spam aircaft or infantry ) or know that one time must produce ship .. and manage witch time foccus tu uprage economy and how .., is much more dificulty ( mostly you may be have some resource more income but it cost you more resource make all city defendable .. becose need more resource on more defensive place .. and that is problem for 80% player not talk about that this player dont know how play in medium phase or final phase of map .. when is striker on public map may become totaly shit unit becose most player most on speed realy donk klnow that speed is mostly tactic gaem about how much time you may spend somebody sa y in 4 hours you may be wiped yes sure i wiped 100 city player in 8 hours .. and taht player have been russia so you may go sleep and lost your empire and doesnt matter if you be chile or another .. that depence :

becose on evry map is :

some another player ...
    • dfrost wrote:

is that common? a player reducing someone elses morale with gold?
      Depends on how you define "common", but no. It used to happen more often (when there were fewer games and each game was more competitive, etc.). It's been awhile since I've seen it. When someone does do it, they usually do it to try to slow down your conquering progress (lol, told you I wasn't that defensive), and they don't feel like they can stop you by just attacking you.
    • dfrost wrote:

is that common? a player reducing someone elses morale with gold?
      I actually haven't been experiencing people using espionage at all on me as much lately, including both spy actions and the immediate pay-gold-to-do-blah blah blah stuff. Maybe because a lot of the newer players don't care about it as much? Not exactly sure tho
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup: