How Do I Kill This Ship

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• dfrost wrote:

yea, you gave me so much to think about now. working on defense in those games makes so much sense to me. i am glad i am not playing one of those games right now because i really like offense. hell, is ANY game when you know people like to take the offensive, defense is going to be key and such great defense bonuses.

the drawback is when i have such great defense, i probably wouldn't want to move much and stay in my security blanket haha

when i am reading posts like this, i try to envision it in game play and i do see things fitting together like pieces of the puzzle. especially the strategy and the idea behind it. i know if i played defense, i will WANT people to attack me and going to bed for 8 hours doesn't seem as bad
      Go forth and Conquer young man... Just do it deliberately. Like days ago I told you that based on your map going to far north too fast and to protect your flank. Little did I tell you those are my ships (just kidding) but I'm no mind reader but you go that far and leave flank exposed you will be attacked. Thats why I fight back to wall (or natural defense like mtns or ocean projected by navy) and expand in an even front as I know where my enemies are coming from for most part.

More so than just hunker down defense; you need a balanced armed forces to counter the largest variety of enemy units.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • dfrost wrote:

thanks. you sacred me there for a second! haha i was about to give you some gold to leave me alone. yea, i am trying to take everything in and absorb all this information so i can use it effectively. i like the word "deliberate"
      welcome ....best strategy is like chess (invented to teach war tactics); a balanced offensive attack while maintaining enough defense not to get attacked. If a player just kept all pieces in two back rows; besides a boring game the all defense player would get picked apart and lose when matched with a equally skilled player who played a balanced game; yes you have to move but could cha - cha pawns up and back. Now on the flip side rushing across the board without complimentary pieces defending counter attack ends badly too.

In history how well did just sitting back in city win a war. Heck US tried this until lost half fleet in Pearl Harbor. If Carriers were in port good chance we would be speaking Japanese today.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

• Buckeyechamp wrote:

In history how well did just sitting back in city win a war. Heck US tried this until lost half fleet in Pearl Harbor. If Carriers were in port good chance we would be speaking Japanese today.

i hear ya! it's funny. i thought this was ironic. my brother in law who is retired navy now flies to japan to train their pilots. obviously there are jokes there but i ain't sayin' 'm! don't know how politically correct this forum is. thought it was interesting though!
    • Right, don't let me give you the impression that you should sit back and never do anything. I'm generally the VP leader by Day 5 to Day 10 in the game. That doesn't happen by just sitting back and doing nothing. When I say play defensively, I say that knowing that most people have a natural urge to push their units forward and conquer. Like Buck said, it's about balance. The problem is that what the majority of people do is not at all balanced, they just charge forward. So, when I say "play defensively", I'm meaning "in comparison to most other players", and I mean the end result to be that you end up with a balanced plan. No one is suggesting that you just keep building units and never move your troops.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PerigeeNil ().

• There are also ways to play defensively WHILE actively expanding. Too many people think "playing defensively" has to mean keeping all your units in your homeland and just building up big stacks there. That's not what I mean.

Let's say I'm getting ready to attack my next target country. A lot of players will vomit a bunch of random units into the target country from all angles and via a large number of routes. That CAN be an effective strategy if done correctly and in the right situation. It isn't always, though. As I mentioned in a different post, a Russia player just tried to do this to me (Ukraine) in a new game. It was a miserable failure. Their incoming troops all died to my city defenses and combat outposts, and now my surviving troops are marching into undefended western Russia to take their empty cities.

That's not the ONLY way to play defensively, though. Let's say they didn't attack me first, but I wanted to fight them and still be in the defensive position. Maybe I get a nice stack or so together and take Rostov-on-Don, the closest Russian city to my country. Now Russia has to decide how to respond. Most public players are going to freak out and randomly fling their troops at my homeland, which I will be prepared to defend. A small percentage won't be able to stand that I have their Homeland city, and they'll send troops to try to take it back; again, I'm defending. The only way I'm not defending is if the other player just allows me to take small pieces of their country at a time without ever responding, and that only ever really happens if they quit.

Also, "defending" can happen on a much smaller and more immediate scale than "sitting back in your city and never attacking anyone". Let's say I'm invading Nueva Leon, and I'm approaching Monterrey from the south with a small Motorized infantry stack. I get to Linares and I realize my enemy is also marching toward me and will probably be coming into that province. I don't HAVE to keep marching at them and meet them head on at a full sprint. A good example of what I consider playing defensively is stopping my stack in the middle of Linares, building a combat outpost there, and waiting for their units to reach me. Now, I'm entrenched, I get the Motor Infantry defensive bonus for being in the Forest terrain, I get the combat outpost bonus, AND I benefit from the fact that my Motof Infantry defend better than they attack anyway. THAT'S how I play defensively rather than offensively. I'm still going to Monterrey, but I can stop and defend on the way there.
    • really good info there! i understand better what you mean by defense and defending

because one of my questions was, while i am attacking, how can i defend. i thought about your scenario before as you had made a similar reply in this thread or another thread and had kept that in the back of my head.

my problem is can't wrap my head around yet is after i take over someone's whole territory, how to defend because of the long borders but i also think you covered that as well saying it doesn't matter if they take a few provinces as i can take them back later closer to the border.

this is really good info though man. thanks a lot! makes total sense!
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

The Captain wrote:

Nuke it...
      Unlikely to be in range of an ICBM and also you can't nuke your own cities.
      Cant hit a ship with icbm or ballistic. But a Cruise missile could take out if you had some; but then you would have ships or planes.OP has learned why US Military is not just Ground Forces ;)
      An ICBM has 475 anti-ship damage, so in theory you can, but quite tricky to achieve.
      it posible by balistic misile too just by spalsh dmg ( and not must by nuclear just need manipulate enemy ship in be close target on splash dmg ))

but if i may givbe advice on qeustion ..

denot left you be in posi enemy have ship and you not mostly is after wery economic painfull in all way .. mostly all " air unit " is mostly usable just be online but shoot ship enemy city could be posible do offline and may make big loose on infrastructure last thing visibility and info about enemy is more than have big army becose need right army ... like you be probably in situation that just one ship destabilize ypur economy and probaly arrive another ..
    • (Playing defensively:) forum.conflictnations.com/inde…a1408cd64ccf12d9daf6ef2ddYeah, you have to take over land and cities in order to be successful in the game. And, honestly, to win solo, you have to be doing it faster than most other people. As I think you understand now, I'm just trying to talk you (and everyone) out of running in all "beserker RAWR" rather than making considerations for the various elements that could benefit your performance (terrain, bonuses, timing, range, etc.). You understand, I'm sure.

dfrost wrote:

my problem is can't wrap my head around yet is after i take over someone's whole territory, how to defend because of the long borders but i also think you covered that as well saying it doesn't matter if they take a few provinces as i can take them back later closer to the border.
      Yeah, this is a tricky thing that Buck and I both struggle with: the idea of the "perfect game". It would be really nice to win a game without ever losing a territory or a unit. It's possible, but not probable, and certainly not completely within one player's control. In a WWIII game, if you're going to solo it, you'll have to control more than 1 continent worth of territories and cities. I'm in a game now where I've conquered almost 700 provinces to date, and I'll still need hundreds more before I win. I don't have (and will never have) 700 units. So, even if one unit per territory would protect all of my territories (which, it wouldn't a unit could just be killed), I still couldn't even defend them all like that.

The short point of this long explanation is that you can't expect to forcefully and effectively defend every one of your provinces all at once past a certain point in a game. So, if that's not going to happen, it's not really worth it to bust your hump to try to keep from losing every relatively insignificant province. Work on keeping the majority of them and the important ones.

Real game example: On full world map, in eastern Russia, on the border of Mongolia, is a province named Skodorovino. Russia doesn't have any cities very close to there. Novosibirsk is a ways to the west, and Vladivostok isn't immediately accessible. The terrain out there can be rough in places, and the territories are large. It's a lot of space with little value. So, let's say Mongolia took that province, because Russia cannot immediately of efficiently protect every border province. The Russian player COULD get angry and put a lot of time and effort into concentrating forces in eastern Russia to attack Mongolia. But, the Russian player has to determine when and if that is worth it to them. Exactly how important is that one VP in a wasteland in eastern Russia? Is the Russian player willing to reduce forces in western Russia/eastern Europe (where the stakes are a lot higher) in order to punish Mongolia for taking that one wasteland province?

Attached is a stat sheet showing me losing some provinces here and there.

Screenshot 2022-01-27 2.47.21 PM.png

The post was edited 1 time, last by PerigeeNil ().

• Kalrakh wrote:

It does not even necessarily matter, if you lose a core city, as long you manage to defeat his troops on the long run :)
      sure but it mostly what is hapens if you go by this way left enemy have advatage that you must sorte in time that you want sorte .. so for plan is better be ready in many map than have one map where you be in advantage lbe ready lost core city to win war ( mostly if you repeat in all war .. :D )

so little nonsence advice .. becose that is about tactic not plan and advice what prepare for next game and mostly tactic is about speak it posible win many map just by diplomacy liek join in coaly becose this coaly take you in just like land for step in continet for last winctory batlle (and player may be total noob wwith zero skill and shit unit .. ) and be winner just by " luck "

that is posible say it not nesesary play game to be winner so .. better is say what is nesesary to not be looser
    • yea, i can already tell i am more of a perfect game player because i already know right now i hate losing territories. it already went through my head about placing 1 unit per territory at lest on the borders but that just doesn't seem realistic or effecient. that's funny you mentioned that. but i do like the idea of a perfect game. unfortunately like you said, i think it's beyond my control and there would be a luck factor involved with that

looking at your stats, i can already tell that i have a long way to go to understand and adapt a good strategy. i just looked at my stats. i'm rank 5 with 227 captured and 10 lost

i didn't know we could play with new accounts. that would fool the hell out of me seeing those stats and seeing the person has only played one game. i figured out how to look up player stats on like day 5 so i took advantage of that. not a lot of competition in by game unless they are playing with a new account

i am a little proud of myself though with my first game even though i made so many mistakes. i am still #1 even with the #2 and #3 player combined by 50vp. one of which has 17 games under his belt so i think that will be my competition eventually. he's northern east coast and i am waaaaaay down south. i know he must be keeping an eye on me. possibly on this forum. everyone is still solo but he created a coalition. i think i am in a good spot to build up resourced and start defending my homeland next(with the national guard and some bunkers) with the exception of getting to cuba and haiti. i would like those territories as florida i believe is inactive

anyway, i eventually took out those 4 corvettes with my mobile artillery. took me a day and he wittled down my territory morale to about 10

PerigeeNil wrote:

dfrost wrote:

Yeah, this is a tricky thing that Buck and I both struggle with: the idea of the "perfect game". It would be really nice to win a game without ever losing a territory or a unit. It's possible, but not probable, and certainly not completely within one player's control. In a WWIII game, if you're going to solo it, you'll have to control more than 1 continent worth of territories and cities. I'm in a game now where I've conquered almost 700 provinces to date, and I'll still need hundreds more before I win. I don't have (and will never have) 700 units. So, even if one unit per territory would protect all of my territories (which, it wouldn't a unit could just be killed), I still couldn't even defend them all like that.
    • dfrost wrote:

i didn't know we could play with new accounts.
      Yeah, you can. You just can't use more than one account in the same game.

I played with the same account for a long time (I started over 500 games on that account), but I made my first new one because my original used my real name, and I was a chat moderator (so it was weird when people I was in games with started to recognize my name). So, I made my second for anonymity.

After that, I made them for various reasons. I made some because I wanted to use a different name or I wanted to have an account where I always played the same country (like I have one where I only play North Korea and use a North Korean name). I have made some just to see where my actual stats/skill were at the moment. I have made some for weird reasons like: I made one where I only used randomly chosen countries; and I made one where I started trying to win with every country in alphabetical order.

This one was me wanting to see where I was at right now if I only solo'd from start to finish and didn't use some of the more fortunate countries.
    • I don’t know how much you know of Julius Caesar’s battles, but he is a great example of being strategically offensive while being tactically defensive.

He would get a good understanding of his opponent, march aggressively towards his target and create chaos (Offensive). Once the enemy felt obliged to confront him, he would promptly build a defensive camp and await the enemy to attack him in an advantageous position (Defensive). As soon as the enemy faltered, he would skillfully counterattack. The one time that he went away from this even Caesar and his veteran legions nearly lost at the battle of Munda when he rashly ordered a full-on frontal attack up a sloop.

This can easily be applied to CoN.
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Aeneas of Troy wrote:

I don’t know how much you know of Julius Caesar’s battles, but he is a great example of being strategically offensive while being tactically defensive.

He would get a good understanding of his opponent, march aggressively towards his target and create chaos (Offensive). Once the enemy felt obliged to confront him, he would promptly build a defensive camp and await the enemy to attack him in an advantageous position (Defensive). As soon as the enemy faltered, he would skillfully counterattack. The one time that he went away from this even Caesar and his veteran legions nearly lost at the battle of Munda when he rashly ordered a full-on frontal attack up a sloop.

You nailed it. That's EXACTLY the tactic I use; I just didn't know it belonged to Julius Ceasar.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

Aeneas of Troy wrote:

I don’t know how much you know of Julius Caesar’s battles, but he is a great example of being strategically offensive while being tactically defensive.

You nailed it. That's EXACTLY the tactic I use; I just didn't know it belonged to Julius Ceasar.
      The man was an absolute genius, in my opinion the best to ever do it. If you ever are ever bored or not playing CoN, studying his battles is a ton of fun and well worth the effort
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • dfrost wrote:

really good info there! i understand better what you mean by defense and defending

because one of my questions was, while i am attacking, how can i defend. i thought about your scenario before as you had made a similar reply in this thread or another thread and had kept that in the back of my head.

this is really good info though man. thanks a lot! makes total sense!
      dont worry about defending occupied territory. defend homeland and attack with a steady front pushing fwd. in your game you had a lot of ocean border... navy will defend that. but key (at least to me) is see who in front or side who could hurt you...and hurt them first.

but I fight like Tyson... keep them on their heels and come out swinging. But can box like sugar Ray if they want to/ can counter.