corvette over frigate?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Nobody choses corvettes over frigates and neither should you; anyone who does is a massive fool, their roles are way too different for being able to replace one with the other

Corvettes are the earliest available ship (30 minutes of researach) and in a naval arms race starting day one they can prove to be the single most important simply by virtue of being able to get out so early and after they're out they can pretty much completely deny your opponent any chance to build any navy. Their cheap price and high speed also makes them somewhat solid at intercepting and killing transports. They absolutely suck in open waters tho cuz their HP gets reduced by half and on top of that they dont really do well in ship to ship combat due to range.

Frigates on the other hand are pretty much a musthave for any navy simply because they are essential for protecting against (higher level) airborne threats, ofc you can gamble on not facing any but its a gamble youre going to eventually lose over the course of the game
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • ahhhh 30 minutes research time. i missed that! i asked because since i didn't build my navy right away, was trying to choose between corvettes i hear everyone talking about and the frigate. now i understand better how someone can attack me by sea within the first day. i wasn't quite understanding that at first! makes sense

thanks for the response!
    • Also, you have to research Corvettes to unlock Frigates. So, since you're going to have them researched anyway, you might as well build some while waiting for your Frigate research to finish.

Plus, Corvettes cost Supplies while all of the other ships cost components. So, if you run yourself short on either Supplies or Components at some point in the game, you can still keep your Naval Bases building ships with the resource you do have.
    • and one more point: corvettes have a sonar (they can see subs which have a sonar signature), frigates don't. So, while it might look like an investment that is only useful at the start, once i've made them i also use them later on in-game to be a spotter.

at the very least, if you put them in key places once they sink (and they do!) you'll know someone's coming :)
    • Sgniappo wrote:

and one more point: corvettes have a sonar (they can see subs which have a sonar signature), frigates don't. So, while it might look like an investment that is only useful at the start, once i've made them i also use them later on in-game to be a spotter.

at the very least, if you put them in key places once they sink (and they do!) you'll know someone's coming :)
      Corvs suck in deep sea and subs suck in shallow sea

Corvs are kind of the counter for elite AIP subs, but honestly I would bet on the eAIP pretty much every time.
    • Vettes can get you sea domination early; all be it you are basically rowing up to port in a canoe with a shot gun; but if only one with a few boats you are king of the sea ;) Latter just play a defensive coast position to block ports from random people who send 15 units unprotected to a port.

Any real naval invasion and at best slows them down till help arrives. Sub detection a bonus but range so small and as stated suck in high seas by time subs picked up almost too late.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp