attack and defense VS attack and defense

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• attack and defense VS attack and defense

i was thinking about how attack and defense statistics works in this game. at first i was assuming that if a player has say 3 defense to my specific unit against my 5 attack to his specific unit, i would knock off 2 hp if he didn't have any defense bonus. is this true?

because i was also thinking about my defense to his attack. let's say i had4 defense to his 3 attack, my assumption would be i wouldn't take any damage as my defense was higher than his attack.

it seems a bit unrealistic though so i wanted to ask the question here. in fact, let's give a specific scenario in what promted my question. hell, i even noticed that planes get damaged when they attack a unit with no attack against planes. it just proves that games are not realistic no matter how much people argue that things aren't realistic. they don't have to be though because ITS A GAME.

first, let's eliminate any healing that goes on every hour(in a city or shallow waters etc...) and talk strictly attack and defense

let's say the guy has a corvette sitting at a distance my artillery unit can get to. mobile artillery has a longer attack range so i am sitting out of range of him but let's say for instance i was within his attack range.

the corvette has a 1.0 attack rating against armored and 0 defense. mine has a 1.5 attack rating and 0 defense. does this mean he will literally do 1 hp damage to me and i will do 1.5 damage to him?

NOW LETS TAKE ANOTHER SCENARIO - basic infantry vs combat recon

let's say my opponant has 1 basic infantry with that has an attack rating of 2.0 against armored and a defense of 2.5
      my combat recon vehicle against infantry has an attack of 4.5 and defense of 4.5

originally i would have assumed i wouldn't take any damage because my defense is higher than his attack and i would reduce his hitpoints by 2.0 since my attack is 4.5 to his 2.5 defense.

i know this was an unrealistic assumption now so i am curious how much damage i could do in both scenarios and how much damage my opponant could do in both scenarios so i can get a feel how this game works and prepare my strategies better. i was reading through the forum and came across some threads and it seems to be an uncertain issue or the questions wasn't specific so the answers were vague. so i tried to be specific here to get a more specific answer and idea of how this all works.

have the devs given the math on this or has anyone tried to figure this out in specific scenarios? are the devs not releasing that math intentionally to add uncertainty to the game and battles?

thanks!
    • When you attack you deal ATTACK damage to your enemy.
      When you defend you give him DEFENSE damage.
      Both happen on same attack tick so both will be damaged. No reduction att - def.

Ofc there are other things that you have to get into the equation like standing on city/province center or bunkers etc. Those will reduce the damage received for the defender.
      Also units have lower stats if not full hp.

And last avoid melee fights.
    • Ah yes, the joy of trying to explain gameplay mechanics with words
      To begin with the combat boils down to two core elements: Melee and Ranged

Melee (as the name might suggest) is when you have to move right on top of the enemy to deal damage (eg aircraft or infantry), the moment you deal damage to the enemy in melee your unit also takes the defensive value of the unit they are attacking as damage

dfrost wrote:

let's say my opponant has 1 basic infantry with that has an attack rating of 2.0 against armored and a defense of 2.5
      my combat recon vehicle against infantry has an attack of 4.5 and defense of 4.5
      If you are attacking with the recon vehicle then you will deak 4.5 dmg and recieve 2.5 in return

The order of combat somewhat depends on where you fight tho, if the enemy is in the center of a province and you attack you will only attack and he will only defend; meeting offcenter is a bit different tho the wiki actually tries to somewhat explain it wiki.conflictnations.com/Combat#Combat_Mechanics

Ranged Combat is actually pretty straight forward; there are only attacks and even with stacked with different units, they will only deal damage within their range. The defensive value only applies to melee

dfrost wrote:

let's say the guy has a corvette sitting at a distance my artillery unit can get to. mobile artillery has a longer attack range so i am sitting out of range of him but let's say for instance i was within his attack range.

the corvette has a 1.0 attack rating against armored and 0 defense. mine has a 1.5 attack rating and 0 defense. does this mean he will literally do 1 hp damage to me and i will do 1.5 damage to him?
      Because there are only attacks that means you will deal about 1.5 damage and he will deal a tiny bit less then 1.0 because damaged units deal less damage (i think it was up to a minimum of 50%?).

Its worth keeping in mind that all damage is affected by rng (not sure how big rng range is exactly but about 50-120% iirc) on top of the usual terrain/entrenchment modifiers
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Didnt read whole thread but equal units ... you almost need 2 to 1 advantage ..to defeat if attacking. But havnt got into a lock down ground battle in about 20 games.

But many factors: Terrain / where battle takes place. Like don't attack with NGs any where and defend in cities (50 pct def bonus). Some units suck attack in mtns or jungle .. open ground generally neutral but think AFV has desert / open ground bonus.

But key thing just look at your and opponents stack.... hover over lightning bolt icon under unit stats and will tell you exactly your off/def stats in area you are in.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Pale Rider ().

• vynical wrote:

Attack and Defense in CON should be renamed into Attack and Counter-Attack to be precise imo.

I think the wiki gave a pretty clear explanation for melee attack already wiki.conflictnations.com/Combat#Meeting_Engagement.
      That'd be rather confusing, though: for the counter-attack phase of a melee engagement, the ATK force of the defender is used vs. the DEF force of the attacker!
      Commander Zozo001 :thumbsup:
      humble player
    • Zozo001 wrote:

vynical wrote:

Attack and Defense in CON should be renamed into Attack and Counter-Attack to be precise imo.

I think the wiki gave a pretty clear explanation for melee attack already wiki.conflictnations.com/Combat#Meeting_Engagement.
      That'd be rather confusing, though: for the counter-attack phase of a melee engagement, the ATK force of the defender is used vs. the DEF force of the attacker!
      Yeah, that's why I said that Defense should be renamed into Counter-attack to be clearer tbh. The word "defense" kinda give an impression of damage mitigation, like offsetting the attack, which is definitely not the case here. Both side would take damage in full with the only mitigation being the entrenchment bonus.

For melee outside of center point, Attacker A attacks with Attack Stat, Defender B counterattacks with Defense Stat. Then Defender B attack using Attack stat and Attacker A counterattacks with Defense stat.

For melee on center point, Attacker A attacks with Attack Stat, Defender B counterattacks with Defense Stat. Done.