New artillery mechanic suggestion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New artillery mechanic suggestion

I got an idea to make artillery stand still for short time (maybe 5min?) before shooting. I think that would be positive for both realism and gameplay .

That would make armored units more meaningful because artillery wouldn't be able to hit and run as much as now, making armored units kinda usless. I think that wouldn't affect artillery too much since artillery is mainly used against big stacks fortified in cities and with that mechanic artillery would just need assist of tougher land forces.

I guess in reality artillery can't just shoot the enemy while running, it has to stop, stabilize, aim at the target and then shoot.

What you guys think?
    • The "but in reality" argument is utterly pathetic and you should feel bad for using it
      Also: It's not the fault of artillery that melee vs melee sucks so hard; the issue lies more with melee in general

Teburu wrote:

It's fighting in melee in general that is the issue; its simply highly inefficient compared to other stuff.

- most ground units deal most of their damage against other ground units, so fighting ground units vs ground units you're pretty much guranteed to take lots of damage (especially when compared to artillery or aircraft vs ground units)
      - because of taking so much more damage, units that are fighting in melee will have more downtime for healing
      - losing units is pretty much guranteed, which means more resources go to replacing losses rather than new units compared to other units
      - defender usually has more advantages then the attacker (entrenchment, terrain modifiers, simple fact that both stacks are locked in melee until death or retreat)
      - extremely inflexible compared to artillery or aircraft (range of engagement being on top of the other unit is a pretty extreme downside imo)
      And having a deployment time would really only make sense for towed and mobile artillery (and frankly 5 minutes is nothing; you'd have to have it like half an hour or something to have even the chance of having an impact to begin with)
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • I wrote "i guess in reality..." since im not really interested in such topics and this seems reasonable to me but even if it would be unrealistic its gameplay impact still seems positive.

In current state of game artillery and infantry is enough of land forces because with enough air defense artillery is pretty much untouchable so u can theoretically destroy stack of 10 tanks rushing at your 1 MRL. Im not sure if thats how artillery is supposed to work (10 divisions of tanks lose to one of Rocket launchers. Reality?).

It doesnt need to enable ground units to attack artillery even before first shot, just close the distance... Instead of 20 shots chasing artillery you would take 5, not that tragic.

5 min was theoretical, still better than nothing.

I dont see how changing melee combat would affect that issue since artillery vs melee still stays the same. Artillery potentially deals infinietly more damage than not ranged troops, aircrafts at least take some damage while attacking ground troops.

Just make artillery support unit, not stand alone after building first MRL and anti air.
    • Sewur wrote:

I wrote "i guess in reality..." since im not really interested in such topics and this seems reasonable to me but even if it would be unrealistic its gameplay impact still seems positive.

In current state of game artillery and infantry is enough of land forces because with enough air defense artillery is pretty much untouchable so u can theoretically destroy stack of 10 tanks rushing at your 1 MRL. Im not sure if thats how artillery is supposed to work (10 divisions of tanks lose to one of Rocket launchers. Reality?).

It doesnt need to enable ground units to attack artillery even before first shot, just close the distance... Instead of 20 shots chasing artillery you would take 5, not that tragic.

5 min was theoretical, still better than nothing.

I dont see how changing melee combat would affect that issue since artillery vs melee still stays the same. Artillery potentially deals infinietly more damage than not ranged troops, aircrafts at least take some damage while attacking ground troops.

Just make artillery support unit, not stand alone after building first MRL and anti air.
      Artillery is only as attractive as it is because fighting melee vs melee is such an utter shitshow where both sides tend to lose. By making melee vs melee more viable you open up more alternatives to artillery.
      Artillery is as strong as it is rn because it pretty much it is so anathema to how melee works
      Melee: Whoever leaves the safety of their entrenchment bonus first loses
      Artillery: LMAO thanks for the free kills sitting there
      Hell, a lot of the mechanics seem to just exist to make life more difficult for melee, terrain modifiers? artillery hardly cares about that. Entrenchment? Not relevant either. Speed penalty on enemy terrain? Favors artillery.

Also i dont think any sort of deployment time would be a real nerf to artillery; it would just serve to make it a lot more tedious and slower but frankly if you want to nerf artllery, then you have to hit it where it hurts: movement speed and range

The ability to deal damage without recieving any will always be completely and utterly broken when 99% of all other units have to take some to deal some.

And if im being realistic then i dont think they're gonna hit artillery with any big nerfs since as far as they're concered it'd only really matter to the top 1% anyway
    • Just give everything range
      Artillery still has the most range
      Still the most powerful
      Artillery still wins, because it has the most range, dealing damage before anything can even come close to it. That is why the range thing is so broken, exactly what @Teburu said and also, anything with more range simply wins, anything ranged, like artillery, AA, and Navy- it will simply win. The only reason this doesn't win is because of overwhelming attack power (or lots of airpower and counter-artillery) and tactical advantages.

Also, apparently artillery can hit the other artillery without taking damage themselves, I have never tried this, because the enemy has never had any artillery... but this (5 minute thing) could work for that
      I once tried it with Navy and it didn't work anyway. Probably because I forgot the range attack timer hadn't reset
      CON
      and
    • Guess i just repeated old thread:
      OPEN DISCUSSION: Nerf the artillery!? - Suggestions - Conflict Of Nations - Forum (conflictnations.com)

Seems like devs didnt like artillery set up time cause they havent implemented it since 2019...

Anyway i still like the idea of artillery being used to actually siege enemy's positions but i guess there are only 2 options play what the game already is or leave it. Anyway i will play this game since meeting someone active abusing artillery is rather rare in public games.
    • Rickior wrote:

Concerning the artillery, I find strange it can move during 1 hour, shoot as if it didn't move, and again.
      I suppose, ther is one shot every hour to simplify, every second would be stupid and technically difficult.
      For the other units I also wonder if they can move and shoot on the same time.
      as long as it is not locked in melee any unit can move, attack and then move again

the 1h is just the cooldown between attacks and nothing else