Pronouns, Pronouns, Pronouns!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The next time I hear an English Composition teacher lecture on the importance of political correctness in any written work, I am going to use this thread as irrefutable proof that it is a black hole…

(1) when you try to please everyone you please no one and

(2) no abnormal alteration of the use of pronouns for certain individuals who are suffering from an identity crisis are suddenly going to feel at peace just because society changes how it addresses them. It is impossible to change how society views the individual; however, the individual can change and thus the view of society will change.

Thanks for the proof :thumbsup:
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • i couldn't agree with you more except for the "identity crisis" remark.

my take is that whatever other people do is out of our control. it always has been and always will be. when we are more focused on what is out of our control. then it's a distraction to what IS. if change is to occur, it comes within ourselves. not other people.

when's the last time we put expectations on others and it turned out well? NEVER. it all leads to feeling disappointed and then hurt and then angry and then resentful. it's not pretty and it surely isn't a good way to live. it's a miserable life and i talk from experience through my own life journey and experiences from my personal past.

blaming others is never a solution either. if it was, i would think we woulda found a solution by now. no. blaming others doesn't help. it adds to the chaos and it's a distraction to our own accountability where understanding and patience and human interaction and empathy is dust in the wind when we are always blaming the other guy. sure there are exceptions if people break the law like murder a family member... but we are talking about "political correctness" that is ever changing and will never stay stagnant.

at the end of the day i don't believe it's about respecting people's pronouns. it's about accepting the fact that people will forget, not agree, or whatever the reason is to live a way that THEY want to live. it's nobody elses life to tell people what they can and can't do. that's what parenting is when you're raising a child

i personally have no hate in my heart for anyone but people will still call me prejudice or racist or someone who doesn't care about pronouns and disrespectful. but if themselves got to know me, they would realize you can't judge a book by it's cover. let people believe whatever they want about me. it's not up to me to change people and the way they think and their perception of me and the world....just as i would like the same in return. do i expect that? hell no...it would just be nice. i can't control other people as much as they can't control me

i do believe that everyone is different and unique in their own ways so i can understand those who wish to use certain pronouns that may not have be the standard like it was 20 years ago. will i use them though? NOPE! because i believe things like this should have a standard and not ever changing where people need to do their research every day to see what is "politically correct". does it make me a bad person? i don't think so but some might think that. it's not like i am going out of my way to hurt someone or their feelings. i just know how *I* want to live personally and how i want to talk and write and interact with people which may be different with how others talk and write and interact with others.

i made light of the topic here by prefering to be called dummy or lil bitch. but these are names my friends call me. at the end of the day....what's in a name? NOTHING. if everyone follows the same rules in how people are supposed to live their life, the world would be a very very boring place to live. i like the differences and uniquenesses. i've been called a little girl before so the pronoun would be "she/her". does it bother me? hell no. caring about what other people think is the least of my worries now that i am older and wiser and i will always accept that people should be able to live their lives autonomously as long as they aren't going out of their way to hurt others.

so when we can start accepting people for who they are rather than judging them through our own expectations, the world would be a better place to live and there would be peace and no wars...and games like this would be politically incorrect haha (gotta throw in some humor after a deep post....hope i didn't put anyone to sleep)
    • Aeneas of Troy wrote:

The next time I hear an English Composition teacher lecture on the importance of political correctness in any written work, I am going to use this thread as irrefutable proof that it is a black hole…

(1) when you try to please everyone you please no one and

(2) no abnormal alteration of the use of pronouns for certain individuals who are suffering from an identity crisis are suddenly going to feel at peace just because society changes how it addresses them. It is impossible to change how society views the individual; however, the individual can change and thus the view of society will change.

Thanks for the proof :thumbsup:
      this is all getting too political
      Україна
      Україна

"The future is not written" - Anna Jija
    • RadioActive wrote:

has anyone here read animal farm by george orwell?

plz refer to me as benjamin the cynical donkey
      Like I said earlier, if you won't take this seriously I will refer to you as "it"

Plus, if you are a donkey, I would automatically refer to you with "it", like I would do to any other donkey.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • and, you know, pronouns are nothing without context; if it's the context that matters, why should people care so much?

Edit:
      I think people care because if the context can determine the pronoun, then whatever prounoun is used will be percieved by anyone who hears or sees it as linked to a certain context, creating a strange relationship between the pronoun and the context: the context will always determine the pronoun, but the pronoun alone can only give so much about the context. This means people will make assumptions given pronouns, especially pronouns in phrases that only imply the pronoun's(s') context rather than the context being expressly stated.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Clock: elaboration following realization ().