Is it Saudi Arabia, or is it Me?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Update to the original subject of this thread:

I'm going to try a 1x as Saudi Arabia. Now, I'm hot garbage at timing (or even continuing) 1x games, and I'm junk at playing as Saudi Arabia. So, this should be a real experience.

However, I wanted to say "thank you" to everyone who contributed to this thread and who offered advice for how I could better adapt to using Saudi Arabia. If anyone else has any advice for either playing Saudi Arabia or for playing 1x, I'm always open to hearing/reading suggestions for improvement.
    • KFGauss wrote:

PS: Question - Why don't I play more games? Answer - Work. For me, playing (micro-managing) CoN when a project deadline is near doesn't work well. I do hope to start another game soon. I thought I would be playing one right now, but an important work demo has been delayed. That's a blessing and a curse.
      I hear you. I am just coming off of a long period during which my work situation allowed me to log in frequently throughout the day to keep a relatively close eye on things when I needed to. I still had more than full-time work to do (I work from home), but I had enough comfort and flexibility in my schedule to make regular adjustments every so often.

Starting tomorrow, though, I can't justify logging in nearly that often. I just adopted a huge new project that's going to demand huge chunks of uniterrupted time, and lots of hours per week - kind of my version of significant mandatory overtime. As such, I just finished up my last 4x game yesterday, and I am limiting myself to only 1x games for the foreseeable future. I'm not at all comfortable in 1x, but that's okay; it gives me a chance to improve one of the weakest aspects of my game (1x timing).
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

Alright, regarding playing as Turkey:

@Buckeyechamp

Okay. That's consistent with the impression I've gotten from you about what you do and don't like, so I totally understand. I tend to play as any country and every country. For a long, long time, I let the game randomly choose my country in every game I played. I even made a separate account where I only played as randomed countries. So, I just don't have a "I would never play as x type of country", even though I completely understand that you do and why you do.

As for you never seeing Turkey do well: I mean, I never see New Zealand do well, but you just dominated with them not long ago, didn't you? I mean, the U.S. is an absolute MONSTER of a country in WWIII, but how often do you see it actually win? Not very often. We can't rely on poor public players to give us an impression of a country's potential.

@bobqz

I may have to try a game as Turkey again soon. I've only played as Turkey once, and I was like, "LOOK AT THIS BEAST GO!" I think it was my first ever solo win, and I didn't go into that game even thinking about winning solo. It felt like I took a gun to a knife fight. It left such an impression that, even though I've entered many hundreds of games since, I don't think I've ever started another game as Turkey; it just seemed like too much. It was like driving a suped up muscle car for the first time and being like, "That was fun, but I can't drive that around town every day."

Now, that was a long time ago, and it was just that one game. So, maybe that was a false impression from a ridiculously lucky game, but it was the impression I've always had. I wasn't THAT experienced at that time, though, and not only am I a much better player now, but the public competition also seems much worse (many more brand new accounts and inactives on that map). I'll be really surprised if I try another game as Turkey and I end up thinking, "Meh, it's not that great." That's not to say that couldn't happen, though. I should give it another try.

PerigeeNil wrote:

I may have to try a game as Turkey again soon. I've only played as Turkey once, and I was like, "LOOK AT THIS BEAST GO!" I think it was my first ever solo win, and I didn't go into that game even thinking about winning solo. It felt like I took a gun to a knife fight. It left such an impression that, even though I've entered many hundreds of games since, I don't think I've ever started another game as Turkey; it just seemed like too much. It was like driving a suped up muscle car for the first time and being like, "That was fun, but I can't drive that around town every day."

Now, that was a long time ago, and it was just that one game. So, maybe that was a false impression from a ridiculously lucky game, but it was the impression I've always had. I wasn't THAT experienced at that time, though, and not only am I a much better player now, but the public competition also seems much worse (many more brand new accounts and inactives on that map). I'll be really surprised if I try another game as Turkey and I end up thinking, "Meh, it's not that great." That's not to say that couldn't happen, though. I should give it another try.
      In one of my games as Turkey, it was my most enjoyable loss. I lasted a long time and had lots of defense and lots of provinces and cities. I got beat down by 3 other countries but it cost them dearly. One of them that I was chatting with called me a "sneaky bastard" but in a good way. I did sneak in behind him and almost took his capital city with units in Finland that he didnt know I had. But it was almost that counted. I still got the beat down but enjoyed it . :thumbsup: Sorry I am off topic but....
      "Retreat hell! We're not retreating ..we're just advancing in a different direction." General Oliver Smith USMC
    • bobqz wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

Alright, regarding playing as Turkey:

@Buckeyechamp

Okay. That's consistent with the impression I've gotten from you about what you do and don't like, so I totally understand. I tend to play as any country and every country. For a long, long time, I let the game randomly choose my country in every game I played. I even made a separate account where I only played as randomed countries. So, I just don't have a "I would never play as x type of country", even though I completely understand that you do and why you do.

As for you never seeing Turkey do well: I mean, I never see New Zealand do well, but you just dominated with them not long ago, didn't you? I mean, the U.S. is an absolute MONSTER of a country in WWIII, but how often do you see it actually win? Not very often. We can't rely on poor public players to give us an impression of a country's potential.

@bobqz

PerigeeNil wrote:

In one of my games as Turkey, it was my most enjoyable loss. I lasted a long time and had lots of defense and lots of provinces and cities. I got beat down by 3 other countries but it cost them dearly. One of them that I was chatting with called me a "sneaky bastard" but in a good way. I did sneak in behind him and almost took his capital city with units in Finland that he didnt know I had. But it was almost that counted. I still got the beat down but enjoyed it . :thumbsup: Sorry I am off topic but....
      You gotta know you are great when your enemy praises you
      "Kill one and terrify hundreds"