Choose Your Own Adventure - Italy vs Eastern/Central Europe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Choose Your Own Adventure - Italy vs Eastern/Central Europe

A few days ago, there was a discussion on the Forums about the potential strength and strategic location of Italy (which actually sprang from a conversation about Saudi Arabia). Following that conversation, I decided to start a game as Italy to test some of my theories about it. That game (1x) is currently in Day 1. Already, though, some interesting eastern/central European shuffling has begun, and I'm interested to see how some of you would have reacted compared to the way I've reacted. So, I've decided to lay out the scenario for you and give you the opportunity to showcase your decision-making processes.

Almost immediately after they joined the game, Austria asked me if I wanted to team up (I'm assuming they were trying to limit their enemy border exposure). I declined, because I am playing this game solo.

France, to my west-northwest, looks like it might be inactive.

Austria began invading the AI nations to its east and southeast. They maintained their starting units in western Austria, but moved them out of the cities (Bregenz and Innsbruck) and closer to my borders (see map below).

Poland began a coalition early that included Thailand, Greece, and Romania. Austria was orginally concerned about this coalition.

When I woke this morning, I found that Poland had begun attacking Germany (solo). Greece has only invaded AI Bulgaria, but is actively building. Romania and Thailand each, so far, have only built Army Bases in every city and are not at war with anyone.

I had begun to invade Switzerland, but I've not even gotten far enough in to take a province yet.

After all of these things, I noticed that Austria had also joined Poland's coalition.

What would you do?

Personally, I began invading/attacking western Austria.

Feel free to ask any questions if you need further information in order to make a decision.

Screenshot 2022-02-17 6.jpg
    • Grrrr... nevermind. Austria's insta-buying units now. *sigh* Makes it tough to strategize when anything can happen. Austria suddenly has Level 2 Army Bases and Mechanized Infantry instantly at 1330 hours on Day 1. *sigh*

So frustrating. Now I'm going to have that nonsense in my stats, and I have to start a whole new game (if he keeps it going).

The post was edited 4 times, last by PerigeeNil ().

• GrandInquisitor wrote:

That's exactly why you should've waited until Day 70 with 20 MRLS stacks and 50 stealth strike fighters so you could defeat him. Patience!
      Lol, you got me on that one.

In all seriousness, though, it wasn't my intention to attack them right away when they were a lone country. I was already on my way to Switzerland. However, when they joined the coalition, the writing was on the wall for me. That coalition had to expand somewhere, and I was snuggled right up against them. They were going to come after me a lot sooner than I could have gotten enough units made to defend myself. No, pre-emptively striking was the right strategic move. There's nothing I can do about the "magic wand".

The post was edited 1 time, last by PerigeeNil ().

• In such a position as you're in.... where you and your enemy both know that you'll be overrun... you're best bet is to become such an inconvenient enemy that they find it's not worth it.

As Italy against Austria you can ensure that your cities will not be "claimed".
      If you're able to build a navy of a handful of frigates you can make Austria's campaign so painful and fruitless that they may give up entirely...
      They'll take your cities but not be able to hold them... have lowered morale and insurgents to deal with.... be exposed on other fronts... and of course the ever looming navy that they'd be a long way from dealing with.

On the diplomatic front, if you can articulate as much, they may find it more prudent to expand elsewhere for a while.
    • My original thoughts were along the lines of negotiating a deal with Austria in which you both expand in different directions. In between a forming a coalition and starting a war, there all al sorts of cooperation/neutrality/competition (entanglements) that can be carefully negotiated to make yourself into something other than food or an immediate threat in your neighbor's eyes. For example, the two of you could have decided to fight the coalition players without forming a coalition yourselves. Assuming success, you could then agree to race toward a solo win - May the best (fastest) player win.

My current thoughts run in the direction of SmallSword's, with the exception of keeping in mind my first paragraph. Those five guys could play the entire game without ever attacking you, if you aren't a threat to the them. The map is big and they will have other threats. And, who knows when two of the drop out for various reasons, and one of the remaining guys stabs the other two in the back, that will be the time for you to make your move - If you avoid suicide-by-cop now.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• Smallsword wrote:

As Italy against Austria you can ensure that your cities will not be "claimed".
      If you're able to build a navy of a handful of frigates you can make Austria's campaign so painful and fruitless that they may give up entirely...
      They'll take your cities but not be able to hold them...
      This was my intent before they started marching purchased units into my cites halfway through Day 1. I can't even start researching Frigates until Day 2.

KFGauss wrote:

My original thoughts were along the lines of negotiating a deal with Austria in which you both expand in different directions. In between a forming a coalition and starting a war, there all al sorts of cooperation/neutrality/competition (entanglements) that can be carefully negotiated to make yourself into something other than food or an immediate threat in your neighbor's eyes. For example, the two of you could have decided to fight the coalition players without forming a coalition yourselves. Assuming success, you could then agree to race toward a solo win - May the best (fastest) player win.

This was what I wanted, and this was the explicit agreement when I went to bed last night. We were sharing information we noticed about the coalition, etc. Then I woke up this morning and they had joined the coalition. At the time that I found out, my units had been on their ways to Switzerland and France.

Just as an additional note to those who graciously took an interest in this thread, before Austria waved the magic wand, Poland saw that I was moving in to conquer Austria and offered me Austria's place when that war was over. Then, of course, abracadabra.

The post was edited 3 times, last by PerigeeNil ().

• You need more diplomacy that is for sure.
      Attacking immediately your neighbor (was it day 2?) was wrong move. Mainly it's a dead end for both of you presumably both are equally skilled in the game.
      Just think of bunkers, they can stop any progress in early game meaning you can't deal with the enemy quick enough.
      So you're losing units and resources to fight that war when you're not ready.
      At least you need choppers, SF or arty to deal with active player. And you need intel on his troops.
      Ok he's a golder so you would maybe loose even with the preparation but not without a fight.

Also as previously mentioned, there's a lot of possible cooperation between two sides before coalition.
      For example I never enter coalition before 10 days maybe even more, before 15 days. I don't want to show what I am doing too early.
      If I have possible coalition member I wait until he proves to be worthy or he show his intentions. We agree where is our border if invade same country and who expand where to avoid possible conflict. That is your partner on day 15-20.

Btw Italy seems to me one of the worst countries to play. They are hard to defend because attack could come from anywhere. You can't focus, you need navy, ground, air, everything.
    • I would curb stomp Austria. If anyone moves towards me I see as act of aggression.

Build port troops in caspian sea ports and will need frigs off Venice and along East coast to keep out potential air threats.

"Attacking immediately your neighbor (was it day 2?) was wrong move. Mainly it's a dead end for both of you presumably both are equally skilled in the game.
      Just think of bunkers, they can stop any progress in early game meaning you can't deal with the enemy quick enough.
      So you're losing units and resources to fight that war when you're not ready."

Disagree with this and if he moved troops out of cities to border he lost this advantage. Its a war game not a talking game. If you smack down austria the oher countries will think twice about invading; its like 1st day in the prison yard. Either you are are the butcher or the slaughtered.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Zemunelo wrote:

. . . Attacking immediately your neighbor (was it day 2?) was wrong move. . . .

Buckeyechamp wrote:

. . . Its a war game not a talking game. If you smack down austria the oher countries will think twice about invading; its like 1st day in the prison yard. Either you are are the butcher or the slaughtered.
      Well, obviously there are at least two (twenty) schools of thought on Day 1 strategies and tactics. Both approaches can obviously be successful. That makes games fun.

In the Karate Kid movie, Mr Miyagi (Pat Morita's character) was wise to tell Daniel to seek balance.

In CoN, in regards to dealing with neighbors, balance includes both playing the percentages, and gathering intell about whether situations are typical or atypical.

How's that ^ for filling a post with clichés and tautologies? :D
    • I think as Italy you need frigates, with maybe two naval ports. Only once you have about 3-4 ships should you pull your troops north to hit Austria. By that time I would have a few choppers as well. When I solo as Italy, it is usually a slow methodical start but suddenly things will start rolling by day 7-8.

Italy has an economy that is well-suited for naval and aerial dominance…ground forces might be a little weak early on just by the nature of having to be flexible enough to hit north and south in short notice. The real test comes when Africa and Middle East solidify their areas and start eyeing you…gets worse if you haven’t beaten an active North-European country like Sweden yet :D
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Zemunelo wrote:

. . . Attacking immediately your neighbor (was it day 2?) was wrong move. . . .

Buckeyechamp wrote:

. . . Its a war game not a talking game. If you smack down austria the oher countries will think twice about invading; its like 1st day in the prison yard. Either you are are the butcher or the slaughtered.
      Well, obviously there are at least two (twenty) schools of thought on Day 1 strategies and tactics. Both approaches can obviously be successful. That makes games fun.
      In the Karate Kid movie, Mr Miyagi (Pat Morita's character) was wise to tell Daniel to seek balance.

In CoN, in regards to dealing with neighbors, balance includes both playing the percentages, and gathering intell about whether situations are typical or atypical.

How's that ^ for filling a post with clichés and tautologies? :D
      “Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy”

More of a #TeamJohnny guy .. the real Karate Kid :) Daniel was the real bully

youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp